Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:33 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:35 pm Just a thought regarding our new coaching team and giving them more time.
I'm drawn to our financial position published earlier, we are making losses, our gates are not good, only 20,000 for Quins game, that being best so far this season. We keep losing, how long will supporters keep us financially sound if we keep losing, before walking away and not attending? We must start winning very soon!
I think the board are worried, I perceive cost cutting proceadures are in place. Ummm makes you wonder!
Only my opinion of course.
We have only had 2 home games this season.

Only one wasn't during the World Cup.

Not saying there isn't a trend down but I'd at least give it a few weeks to settle
Please dont tell my wife, she thinks I've been to 6 home matches this season, she will wonder where I was for the other 4.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

LE18 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:19 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:35 pm Just a thought regarding our new coaching team and giving them more time.
I'm drawn to our financial position published earlier, we are making losses, our gates are not good, only 20,000 for Quins game, that being best so far this season. We keep losing, how long will supporters keep us financially sound if we keep losing, before walking away and not attending? We must start winning very soon!
I think the board are worried, I perceive cost cutting proceadures are in place. Ummm makes you wonder!

Not saying there isn't a trend down but I'd at least give it a few weeks to settle
Please dont tell my wife, she thinks I've been to 6 home matches this season, she will wonder where I was for the other 4.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I should clarify for your wife's sake, two home premiership games.... the other 4 were PRC and preseason., which aren't IMO representative attendances
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

If we compare against timings (so first/second Premiership home game) our attendances are down about 100-200. Other than Northampton the time of the year affects attendances by an order of magnitude more than the opponent.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:30 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... eason.html

YBY who knows a thing or two about coaches likes the look of the new coaching regime and says we should give him time
He may be right, but what player is going criticise his coach unless wanting to be benched!

None of the players said much about Eddie Jones until he went and most players know openly criticising your boss is something for after you retire.... Probably applies to most jobs.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Just to add more confusion about DMK possibly going for the Australian job the Mail have published this - RW possibly returning??? Sir Kev leaving England - would he come back with RW as a package??? I don't know but I am more than happy to give any coach some time to prove his worth and don't want a change at this stage.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... d-Cup.html
Hehehehehehehehe
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Sadly this is the insanity that is post world cup. This is where all the international teams take stock of what they have and where they are and the coach merry go round begins. Everyone with even the slightest experience and national connection will be connected to their national teams.

Interesting to see that coaches that have already worked with SB are reported to be having trouble with his rigid game plan.

To be fair, that game plan was being found out in the season he left the Tigers and I am yet to see that he has the ability to build on that structure and evolve a more varied game. Not saying that it is not there and cannot be done but could it also be that SB flatters to deceive, great at bringing together the players in an unstructured, failing team but lacks the ability to take them on beyond that. Guess England will find out soon enough.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I wouldn't mind seeing if Wigglesworth could come back as a attack coach

I rated him highly as a head coach also judging by what he did with us.
Borthwick I do feel is impossible for a attack coach to grow
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:53 am Just to add more confusion about DMK possibly going for the Australian job the Mail have published this - RW possibly returning??? Sir Kev leaving England - would he come back with RW as a package??? I don't know but I am more than happy to give any coach some time to prove his worth and don't want a change at this stage.

Firstly it's by Chris Foy, he's well respected and has good contacts, unlike some reporters in the news section of that paper, I fully expect he's done homework.

The article is talking about us talking to him, which is certainly a sensible step and I expect we're talking to McKellar also.

Personally I'd happily take both Wigglesworth and Sinfield back, I'd also want to keep McKellar.

My thinking would be Wigglesworth as attack, replacing Dickens then bring Sinfield as a consultant coach allow him more time with family and for charity.

However odds of all three plus keeping Everard are probably slim to none, but lets see.

Key to me is we are planning for any eventuality even if it doesn't occur...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:29 am I wouldn't mind seeing if Wigglesworth could come back as a attack coach

Wiggy as an attack Coach - and also working with our 9s on kicking and passing and general scrum half play would be massive.

Hypothetically, I could see this as a scenario.

- McKellar stays with us as he’s stated, until post 2027 WC
- Wiggy comes in as attack coach until 2027 WC
- McKellar joins Australia post 2027 WC
- Wiggy become Tigers HC Post 2027 WC

Might be a long shot granted and would mean both McKellar staying and Wiggy leaving England and him wanting to return to an attack role rather than a HC role… but that for me would be an ideal scenario.

Tigers coaching team of:
- McKellar
- Wigglesworth
- Everard
- Palmer
- Deacon
- Smith
- Richardson

Would be very strong imo.

Jury out on Dickens and the rumours are there.

Only question on Wiggy coming as an attack coach would be how he would work ‘under’ McKellar after previously having run the ship?

Would never say no to Kev either, but for me would be more consultant as TFS says, perhaps a mental coach or more for encouragement on the couple days before match day? Maybe Kev’s role could be through development squad and men’s and women’s teams?

All speculation of course!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:43 am

I should clarify for your wife's sake, two home premiership games.... the other 4 were PRC and preseason., which aren't IMO representative attendances
Oh thank goodness for clarifying that, Im in my 80s and didnt just dream that I had been to Welford Road, she will be pleased! Sadly those 4 non events you refer to were pathetically supported. Just hope we start winning soon and gates improve.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I remember the days when we had Deano selecting the team, John Wells coaching the forwards and Stransky the backs and we collected trophies. We didn't do too badly with Pat Howard and Cocker in control or when it was Cocker and O'Connor now we seem to have nearly as many expensive coaches as we do players and fans wanting to add to them. What was that phrase about too many cooks?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:29 am I wouldn't mind seeing if Wigglesworth could come back as a attack coach

Personally I think Danny Wilson made the difference last season, I am yet to see any evidence that WW is an attack coach (let alone a HC) of any note.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:53 am Just to add more confusion about DMK possibly going for the Australian job the Mail have published this - RW possibly returning??? Sir Kev leaving England - would he come back with RW as a package??? I don't know but I am more than happy to give any coach some time to prove his worth and don't want a change at this stage.

Usual gibberish from the Daily Heil cobbled together from other articles. That write up is little better than something the Ruck would put out.

- McKellar has already confirmed he has no interest in the Wallaby job. That is old news.

- This is what Borthwick said when Felix Jones was announced;
"Felix has been competing at the top of world rugby during his four years with South Africa and will bring invaluable experience to our set up. Like with Aled Walters, Felix was an integral part of the team that won the Rugby World Cup in 2019.

"Together with Richard Wigglesworth and Kevin Sinfield, we are putting in place a coaching team who have spent their careers at the highest level competing for trophies. That is exactly what we want for this England team."

It was generally assumed that Sinfield would be defence, Jones attack and Wigglesworth skills and kicking until the Telegraph wrote an article suggesting that Jones would replace Sinfield. At the same time they wrote a fairly negative review of the Sinfield defence (a day before the South Africa game).
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:54 am

Personally I think Danny Wilson made the difference last season, I am yet to see any evidence that WW is an attack coach (let alone a HC) of any note.
Agreed the England attack at the World Cup was non existent just like at Welford Road last season.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity