England Squad - OTY Dropped !!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad - OTY Dropped !!!!!

Post by johnthegriff »

Not sure why people are surprised by Eddie Jones selections, the man is a serial loser, he was not a good player and has shown an inability to remain in a job long enough to develop a team. He walks out on contracts so is not a man of his word and has been chosen for his current position on the strength of South Africa losing to Japan, a one off game. The RFU have made another mistake to go with a long line of mistakes.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Can you please stop using the quite insulting CA Roly? As a Crumbie dweller I find your persistent use of toilet metaphors wearing as well, but not as rude as CA.

johnthegriff - currently many of us are suspending judgement although the method of 'selection' of manager was absurd.
My theory is that EJ is coping by turning England into Saracens. I have this awful feeling we will be entering another dreary phase.....
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

many of us are suspending judgement although the method of 'selection' of manager was absurd.
My theory is that EJ is coping by turning England into Saracens. I have this awful feeling we will be entering another dreary phase.....
+1
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:
many of us are suspending judgement although the method of 'selection' of manager was absurd.
+1
Anybody who's watched Saracens play rugby lately, and thinks they're 'dreary', ought to go to Specsavers. Their try scoring stats are second only to Exeter, and their running/off loading game is accurate, fast and effective. They still use the kick-chase as a tactic, but when they decide to turn it on, they sure do turn it on. Oh that and their forwards can force three penalty tries v a team that allegedly prides itself on its scrummaging prowess.

If England are able to replicate this style of play, not many will be complaining.

I remember Warren Gatland, in his first 6N practically picked the whole Ospreys team, a move that was perceived to be regressive. Yes, 1 6N trophy later...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Roly wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:
+1
Anybody who's watched Saracens play rugby lately, and thinks they're 'dreary', ought to go to Specsavers. Their try scoring stats are second only to Exeter, and their running/off loading game is accurate, fast and effective. They still use the kick-chase as a tactic, but when they decide to turn it on, they sure do turn it on. Oh that and their forwards can force three penalty tries v a team that allegedly prides itself on its scrimmaging prowess.

If England are able to replicate this style of play, not many will be complaining.
Saracens are one of the most ruthless teams in the world I cannot believe they get so much stick for their playing style..yes they have no fans..yes they are a plastic plaything of a club owned by rich men..but this year they have been very impressive..
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Anybody who's watched Saracens play rugby lately, and thinks they're 'dreary', ought to go to Specsavers. Their try scoring stats are second only to Exeter, and their running/off loading game is accurate, fast and effective. They still use the kick-chase as a tactic, but when they decide to turn it on, they sure do turn it on. Oh that and their forwards can force three penalty tries v a team that allegedly prides itself on its scrimmaging prowess.

I remember Warren Gatland, in his first 6N practically picked the whole Ospreys team, a move that was perceived to be regressive. Yes, 1 6N trophy later...
Roly I think perhaps you should take your own advice and visit for an eye test!
Sarries foundations are built on physical domination, once the opposition are worn out they pull away and start to look very good all round with some expansive looking rugby, a luxury that may or may not be afforded at international level, we shall see!
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:

Roly I think perhaps you should take your own advice and visit for an eye test!
Sarries foundations are built on physical domination, once the opposition are worn out they pull away and start to look very good all round with some expansive looking rugby, a luxury that may or may not be afforded at international level, we shall see!
I don't need to, I've watched them play and have been impressed, the fact that you go on to describe just why they're so successful, contradicts your own assumption that I'm somehow in need of an eye test. Any team, and I mean any team, would kill for a style of play that has a success:

"built on physical domination, once the opposition are worn out they pull away and start to look very good all round with some expansive looking rugby"

In other words, you've agreed with me, and I'm not sure how you think such attributes would be contrary to the England game or its success.

Couple that with a superb academy churning out EQP, a team full of EQP (most selected at the highest level) and a model based on development of age grade grass roots rugby.

I'd be happy with that.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Saracens aren't especially exciting but they're irritatingly efficient at it. Their efficiency at it makes them watchable - good rugby isn't always chucking the ball around with gay abandon. Heaven knows as a Leicester fan for nigh on a quarter of a century I've learned to appreciate rugby in all shapes and sizes.

As for Eddie Jones I don't agree with his non-selection of Tom Youngs but to be on his back before England have even played a game under him is ridiculous. Even the Six Nations performance will be too soon to pass any real judgement.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Saracens aren't especially exciting but they're irritatingly efficient at it. Their efficiency at it makes them watchable - good rugby isn't always chucking the ball around with gay abandon. Heaven knows as a Leicester fan for nigh on a quarter of a century I've learned to appreciate rugby in all shapes and sizes.

As for Eddie Jones I don't agree with his non-selection of Tom Youngs but to be on his back before England have even played a game under him is ridiculous. Even the Six Nations performance will be too soon to pass any real judgement.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

[quote]I don't need to, I've watched them play and have been impressed, the fact that you go on to describe just why they're so successful, contradicts your own assumption that I'm somehow in need of an eye test. Any team, and I mean any team, would kill for a style of play that have a success:

"built on physical domination, once the opposition are worn out they pull away and start to look very good all round with some expansive looking rugby"

In other words, you've agreed with me, and I'm not sure how you think such attributes are contrary to the England game or its success.[quote]

Perspective.
Club level is not international level!
Maybe they can and maybe they can't, we will see.
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:
I don't need to, I've watched them play and have been impressed, the fact that you go on to describe just why they're so successful, contradicts your own assumption that I'm somehow in need of an eye test. Any team, and I mean any team, would kill for a style of play that have a success:

In other words, you've agreed with me, and I'm not sure how you think such attributes are contrary to the England game or its success.

Perspective.
Club level is not international level!
Maybe they can and maybe they can't, we will see.
Irrelevant, the supposition is that EJ has gone for a Saracens dominated squad - or at least a squad built in its likeness, therefore a 'dreary period' is imminent.

Since it seems logical that the squad therefore will adopt a Saracensesque style of play, then it doesn't matter a what level this is put into operation.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Irrelevant, the supposition is that EJ has gone for a Saracens dominated squad - or at least a squad built in its likeness, therefore a 'dreary period' is imminent.

Since it seems logical that the squad therefore will adopt a Saracensesque style of play, then it doesn't matter a what level this is put into operation.
Honestly that is small minded beyond belief, of course it matters what level it is at!
Wales will not be dominated physically, as we have seen.
As for the Southern Hemisphere nations, we all know their class.
Ireland will attempt to build on the basis that they are unable to dominate physically, much the same as Quins did in turning over Sarries recently but obviously on another level being international rugby, even though they were physically dominated Quins had the answers.
What will England do? Replicate Sarries!
I think international rugby is a little smarter than that!
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:Saracens aren't especially exciting but they're irritatingly efficient at it. Their efficiency at it makes them watchable - good rugby isn't always chucking the ball around with gay abandon. Heaven knows as a Leicester fan for nigh on a quarter of a century I've learned to appreciate rugby in all shapes and sizes.

Yes, I suspect its difficult for supporters of a team that unashamedly played 10 man rugby for the thick end of a decade, can complain about a team that when they need to revert to it, do it better than Tigers ever did.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:

Honestly that is small minded beyond belief, of course it matters what level it is at!
Wales will not be dominated physically, as we have seen.
As for the Southern Hemisphere nations, we all know their class.
Ireland will attempt to build on the basis that they are unable to dominate physically, much the same as Quins did in turning over Sarries recently but obviously on another level being international rugby, even though they were physically dominated Quins had the answers.
What will England do? Replicate Sarries!
I think international rugby is a little smarter than that!
You've just re-defined irony.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

You've just re-defined irony.
Is that it, now you have bored me! :smt015
It's exactly views such as yours that restrict the English game to what it is.
If you can't work it out then throwing insults is not the answer!
Cheery chappy