Ford MUST replace Flood

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ford MUST replace Flood

Post by mike »

I believe that Ford's contract extension is only for 1 year - if this is correct then perhaps there is a chance of either Ford or Flood going in 12 months time.After all , we wouldn't want 2 fly halves in the EPS squad would we ?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

mike wrote:I believe that Ford's contract extension is only for 1 year - if this is correct then perhaps there is a chance of either Ford or Flood going in 12 months time.After all , we wouldn't want 2 fly halves in the EPS squad would we ?
But which one should we lose?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

quincy wrote:Ford has everything and is exceptional for his age. Unfortunately in team sports you have to be a "Chosen One". Johnny Wilkinson, David Beckham are two from the recent era. Ford was ahead of Farrell in the England Age groups but that doesnt count now. Yes Floody has to play in the bigger games just on experience alone but Ford is so good he must be given a chance.
I think that the Club have done well to resign him as I was frightened a big money club would snatch him away on the wages factor alone.
We have a very similar position with Ben Youngs and Sam Harrison. Sam is playing so much better than Ben but must wait his chance. At least he is still with us.
Better to have players in depth (and good players), than not.
The difference between Farrell and Ford is that Farrell is playing. People are still saying should he start, and if everyone is fit he is second choice.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

I'm perfectly happy to retain either at the present time , but my hunch is that in 12 months time we will lose Flood , perhaps to france .
beech

Post by beech »

Perhaps Cockers was right after all! :smt045 :smt045 Giving George Ford the last 12 minutes gave him encouragement and Toby Flood recovering form can only be excellent news for the club.
tf22
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Mr Bean wrote:
quincy wrote:Ford has everything and is exceptional for his age. Unfortunately in team sports you have to be a "Chosen One". Johnny Wilkinson, David Beckham are two from the recent era. Ford was ahead of Farrell in the England Age groups but that doesnt count now. Yes Floody has to play in the bigger games just on experience alone but Ford is so good he must be given a chance.
I think that the Club have done well to resign him as I was frightened a big money club would snatch him away on the wages factor alone.
We have a very similar position with Ben Youngs and Sam Harrison. Sam is playing so much better than Ben but must wait his chance. At least he is still with us.
The difference between Farrell and Ford is that Farrell is playing. People are still saying should he start, and if everyone is fit he is second choice.
Just remember that George Ford is 18 months younger than Farrell. Farrell was in a similar "occasional appearance" situation at that age/stage in his development: in fact GF is probably ahead of him. We forget this because he's been playing for the under 20s since he was 17!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

I think last night proved once and for all there is a gulf of difference between Ford and Flood

One is a genuine 100% dyed in the wool fly half with seemingly all of the attributes to become England's No 1 fly half for years--in the not too distant future..

The other is a very good club player who--- IMHO and others -- lacks the mental strength and temperament to cope with pressure at the highest level.

Flood's strengths are probably better suited to inside centre, now that we have very very stupidly lost Twelvetrees

But sooner rather than later, a decision will have to made by Cockerill
Interesting to see which path he takes...
beech

Post by beech »

'very wery stupidly lost Twelvetrees' - for goodness sake move on. The situation regarding 12T has been discussed so much in the past few weeks to the point of boredom. He is playing well and if he had been prepared to fight for his place he would still be at Tigers. From the displays at Quins and Bath it is clear that we have a crop of excellent youngsters coming through and it's great to see that George Ford is prepared to fight for a starting place - unlike 12T.
tf22
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

beech wrote: The situation regarding 12T has been discussed so much in the past few weeks to the point of boredom. He is playing well and if he had been prepared to fight for his place he would still be at Tigers.
But not sufficiently for you to understand that Glaws offered him an additional £60K pa and a two year as opposed to a one year contract. Little to do, then, with him fighting for his place!!
Still keeping the faith!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I still don't think he is close to as good as people make out. He just doesn't seem to be able to impact a game much in attack. Not for a man of his supposed talents. Defensively is a rock though, but we have plenty of centres who can do that.

Anyway, back on topic. Ford showed again that he is ready for the next step up. I have a lot of confidence in him being Flood's deputy now, and possibly even see him overtaking Flood next season! His tactical kicking is better than anything I can recall at Tigers. But it looks like he has the all round ability to add to that which could make him a very special player. I read somewhere that is just looks like he has some much time on the ball, and he really does.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Mr Bean wrote:
I think that Farrel didn't play any International age group rugby at 10 until the recent under 20 WC.
All his appearances from under 16 upwards were as a 12.

George is an out and out 10. Farrel has played international rugby at 10, 12 and 13. So it's very difficult to compare them. They are both exceptional young players....and english ! I think ultimately they will end up as 10 and 12 for England together.
Jazz Head
Tiger Cub

Post by Jazz Head »

Quote.George Ford is prepared to fight for a starting place - unlike 12T.
George has been given the chance to fight at his preffered position at 10.
12T was very rarley put in the arena to fight for his preffered place of 12- but thrown in (Usually last few minutes)at 10, thats not a fair fight.
He has been offered a fair fight for 12 with Glos. Thats all he asked for at Tigers last year.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

How many times have you heard players say they don't mind where they play, they just want to wear the shirt? A lot more times than you hear them say they really only want to wear the one with their particular number on. In 36's case, this number appears to be 12. Or 60,000.
Valhalla I am coming!
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Can anyone really argue that 12T was given a fair amount of regular game time, hand on heart ???!!

He was badly treated and with someone who can goal kick from 60 yards-doubly so.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Jazz Head wrote:Quote.George Ford is prepared to fight for a starting place - unlike 12T.
George has been given the chance to fight at his preffered position at 10.
12T was very rarley put in the arena to fight for his preffered place of 12- but thrown in (Usually last few minutes)at 10, thats not a fair fight.
He has been offered a fair fight for 12 with Glos. Thats all he asked for at Tigers last year.
Agree totally - I get really racked off with those who perpetuate the won't play for place slander - for that is what it is - insinuated also by RC. 12T played all over the park for Tigers for three years and several times was the outstanding player even out of position. A :censored: nice and loyal bloke who got wise, and then got royally insulted when he put career before disappointment IMHO.
:smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.