Hartley gone again!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jenks

Re: Hartley gone again!

Post by jenks »

Dive. No question. Smith has been watching too much Wendy ball. Hartley was wrong but you could see Smith winding him up. We would all have done the same under the heat of the game. Most of the 'holier than thou' posters have obviously never played a competitive contact sport.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

It's interesting that most of the Hartley defenders or critics of Smith appear to be new posters - perchance Saints supporters/lovers!
jenks

Post by jenks »

I think some away comment is welcome (or at least it should be). What really gets up my nose is the childish name calling 'Tartly' etc.

Tuilagi v Ashton springs to mind on the 'thug' front. I don't recall him being described as such here. (mind you even Saints supporters can't stand Ashton these days).

Tell me, when Hartley scores for England, do you boo?

Thankfully you have some grown-ups posting and they are the ones I like to read.

Until the next time mon braves.

Have a splendid Christmas one and all :smt039
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jenks wrote:I think some away comment is welcome (or at least it should be). What really gets up my nose is the childish name calling 'Tartly' etc.

Tuilagi v Ashton springs to mind on the 'thug' front. I don't recall him being described as such here. (mind you even Saints supporters can't stand Ashton these days).

Thankfully you have some grown-ups posting and they are the ones I like to read.

Saint Sanctimonius is alive and kicking :smt042
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Doghashadhisday wrote:It's interesting that most of the Hartley defenders or critics of Smith appear to be new posters - perchance Saints supporters/lovers!
It's interesting how many people are concentrating on the bloke who got hit in the face falling over rather than the thug that elbowed him - including the Saints' DoR. Interestingly to add fuel to the fire, the English press have stuck to photos of Hartley getting the red card and not the incident (the Irish haven't though: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/v ... 52389.html) . Viewing in real time, I initially though Smith had fallen easily - but on viewing the replay I changed my mind. It's also worth noting what happened earlier in the season against London Irish, when a Tigers player didn't react to a punch in the face, and Blair Cowan didn't get the red card he should have received.

Perspective: Who's the one guilty of foul play? Not Matt Smith. Sean Davey was excellent too as TMO. He could clearly see it was an elbow, which JP Doyle, from the big screens, could not.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Just thank good fortune that Hartley's elbow did not meet with the eyes.
This probably would have been life changing for Matt and then where would the defenders be posting?
Looking at the incident on Sky Matt Smith appears to collapse at the knees - Sorry Hartley you are an embarrassment to "The Game" and Saints.
ginge

Post by ginge »

I'd love to know what Graham Rowntree thinks of all this pantomime, as an ex Tigers legend. Cockers and Westy having both played with him and I guess are still mates of his, plus he is the current England cowards coach of Hartley.,
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

"jenks
I think some away comment is welcome (or at least it should be). What really gets up my nose is the childish name calling 'Tartly' etc.

Tell me, when Hartley scores for England, do you boo?"

You are right, my use of those derogatory names was childish and I apologise to forum readers and won't repeat them.

Of course we don't boo when Hartley scores for England, nor even when he scores for Northampton. We would just prefer that when he plays for England he tries to contain his undoubted anger and stays on the field. I would even prefer that he plays a full 80 minutes against us.
jenks

Post by jenks »

I don't think anyone is saying that it wasn't an elbow. Embarrassment to the Saints? I think we will be the judge of that.

Nevertheless it was a classic derby game and a nail biter to the end. Good friendly banter with the tigers fans near us. Thanks

Saint Sanctimonious (if it keeps you happy)
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

jenks wrote:I think some away comment is welcome (or at least it should be). What really gets up my nose is the childish name calling 'Tartly' etc.

Hi Jenks, is this your full name or just a childish name?
I have met farmer White on a few occasions,wouldn't dream of calling the lovely man a thug to his face. He saw red mist at times along with a red card, but a cannot recall people on here defending him for striking opponents.
A merry Christmas to you to, Jenkins. :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

jenks wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that it wasn't an elbow. Embarrassment to the Saints? I think we will be the judge of that.
That's part of the problem, Saints can't seem to recognise that some of their players' behaviour is clearly over the top.
jenks

Post by jenks »

Tom, lets just have a pint and move on :smt030
jenks

Post by jenks »

jonlin wrote:

I have met farmer White on a few occasions,wouldn't dream of calling the lovely man a thug to his face. He saw red mist at times along with a red card, but a cannot recall people on here defending him for striking opponents.

Mr Jenkins to you sir. Standards dear boy :smt051
jenks

Post by jenks »

jenks wrote:
jonlin wrote:

Mr Jenkins to you sir. Standards dear boy :smt051
Hmm. Interesting. How do you get along with Hartley? You haven't met him? Oh I see....
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

jenks wrote:Dive. No question. Smith has been watching too much Wendy ball. Hartley was wrong but you could see Smith winding him up. We would all have done the same under the heat of the game. Most of the 'holier than thou' posters have obviously never played a competitive contact sport.
Never been hit hard on the nose/chin? Especially when it's rising and driving up into the eyes? Doesn't matter how hard it is or how much damage is done, your knees melt from under you. Smith goes down (you even see his left knee buckle), rolls onto his front and gets up holding his nose within 3 or 4 seconds

Look at one of the last punches Julian threw against Sheridan, he dropped lack a sack but sprang up again, falling over isn't necessarily diving.