Climate affects game's future.

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Climate affects game's future.

Post by Old Hob »

In yet more depressing news climate change will affect pitches and stadiums in the near future. Castle Grim will be flooded, so some good news.
In addition, and more serious if true, there is a fungus attacking English grass pitches.

Add in the money crisis, the demographic of supporters (old, white and dying off) and things look really cheery. :smt011 :smt010

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... 00eepnnm9o
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bptiger25
Tiger Cub

Re: Climate affects game's future.

Post by Bptiger25 »

What a joke , these climate idiots will destroy this world , some of the :censored: they come up with without any real evidence. I would love to be here in 20-30 years when this all comes back to bit they on the :censored: .and just for the records rd I agree that the climate is changing but t that’s what has happened for thousands of years
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Bptiger25 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:57 am What a joke , these climate idiots will destroy this world , some of the :censored: they come up with without any real evidence. I would love to be here in 20-30 years when this all comes back to bit they on the :censored: .and just for the records rd I agree that the climate is changing but t that’s what has happened for thousands of years
At a risk of derailing the topic.

Climate change has been happening for a very long time, more like millions than thousands of years.
However what has changed is the rate of change of the environment. There is near consensus in the scientific community that the rate of climate change we have now is waaaay higher. The only "science" that doesn't agree that man made climate change is far more than natural warming of the earth is sponsored by the oil companies who spend billions on disinformation as it is better for them than reducing our oil consumption.

How climate change affects rugby is an interesting one though. There are a lot of variables at play, but it certainly seems that the pro game in this country is moving towards either hybrid or fully artificial pitches.

Welford Road is Hybrid for example. I much prefer hybrid to fully artificial.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:43 am
Bptiger25 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:57 am What a joke , these climate idiots will destroy this world , some of the :censored: they come up with without any real evidence. I would love to be here in 20-30 years when this all comes back to bit they on the :censored: .and just for the records rd I agree that the climate is changing but t that’s what has happened for thousands of years

Climate change has been happening for a very long time, more like millions than thousands of years.
However what has changed is the rate of change of the environment. There is near consensus in the scientific community that the rate of climate change we have now is waaaay higher. The only "science" that doesn't agree that man made climate change is far more than natural warming of the earth is sponsored by the oil companies who spend billions on disinformation as it is better for them than reducing our oil consumption.

How climate change affects rugby is an interesting one though. There are a lot of variables at play, but it certainly seems that the pro game in this country is moving towards either hybrid or fully artificial pitches.

Agree on all points.
Interesting to note the “Bp” part of Bptiger. Vested interest in denial?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

loretta wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:27 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:43 am

Agree on all points.
Interesting to note the “Bp” part of Bptiger. Vested interest in denial?
:smt044 seems a bit unlikely, but maybe BP have placed a mole on the Tigers forum, so that they can deny climate change and influence the 12 people that read the forum....

Or it's just someone who dares to have a different opinion.
Bptiger25
Tiger Cub

Post by Bptiger25 »

Yes I have a different point of view , but ask ur self these questions
1- how come no one out side the believers are allowed to attend climate meetings , there are many scientists that reject part of what’s is been put forward ( and none are aligned to gas companies)
2- if the world is so dire , how come china is building 200 coal power stations every week at present, and they have no need to cut carbon for the next 20 years . Now if u trust china to reduce there carbon foot print , u are mad , once the rest of the world will struggle to produce enough power to keep there lights on and there factories working , WHOS going to fill the gap , CHINA
3- I live in Australia and our power bills have gone through the roof our beautiful country side is filled with solar panels for hundreds of kilometres, our coast line has wind mills , with thousands more planed .
If some of this doesn’t get u worried just a little then u are a climate activist
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Getting slightly back on topic ...

With World Rugby now concerned correctly about emissions presumably they are scrapping the World League idea that only works if teams play Japan, South Africa & Argentina in successive weeks with the horrendous air miles that entails? And presumably they are censoring the URC for creating a competition that can only function with weekly transcontinental travel for hundreds of people?

No?
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Bptiger25 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:48 am Yes I have a different point of view , but ask ur self these questions
1- how come no one out side the believers are allowed to attend climate meetings , there are many scientists that reject part of what’s is been put forward ( and none are aligned to gas companies)
2- if the world is so dire , how come china is building 200 coal power stations every week at present, and they have no need to cut carbon for the next 20 years . Now if u trust china to reduce there carbon foot print , u are mad , once the rest of the world will struggle to produce enough power to keep there lights on and there factories working , WHOS going to fill the gap , CHINA
3- I live in Australia and our power bills have gone through the roof our beautiful country side is filled with solar panels for hundreds of kilometres, our coast line has wind mills , with thousands more planed .
If some of this doesn’t get u worried just a little then u are a climate activist
I think this might be a clue as to why climate change is happening at a faster rate than has done over the last few thousand years. What worries me is denyers like you.
The BBC article is a bit wishy washy and pretty much pointless but you don't have to be an activist to understand what is happening around the world. If you have children or grand children, you should really be thinking about their future not frothing about solar panels and wind farms...
Also I would have thought the massive hole in the ozone layer above Aus would make you understand a bit more about climate change and it's affects.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Climate change is happening. If the deniers say it is natural, fine but it cannot do any harm and can only be sensible to reduce whatever it is we do to accelerate it.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina