LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Rugbygramps »

Well it’s all been discussed in great detail on here but I’ll repeat it as you’ve obviously missed it or chosen to ignore it.

First season in a new country
Turmoil caused by the Dickens situation and being a coach down
RWC and losing 11 players to it
Injuries to key players

Anyone of those can cause difficulties let alone all 4.

I really loose any faith in someone who says from what I’ve heard. If you really believe what you’ve heard put your cards on the table, and please don’t hide behind I don’t want to break anyone’s confidence, let’s have a name or at least the position they hold in the organisation, otherwise your from what I’ve heard isn’t worth diddly squat I’m afraid.
I hope that’s expanded things enough for you
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

If we can get the team playing like they did in the final game against Exeter and like they did this pre-season, win games and be in contention then I would hope that the naysayers will come around.

I am left with the impression that some feel that he wasn't the right fit and therefore won't give him any time/credit. Others may be keyboard warriors, I dunno.

If we have an 8th placed finish next season then I can see the knives being out and rightly so. I can't see that it's justified with the mitigations already listed by other users.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:40 pm If we can get the team playing like they did in the final game against Exeter and like they did this pre-season, win games and be in contention then I would hope that the naysayers will come around.

I am left with the impression that some feel that he wasn't the right fit and therefore won't give him any time/credit. Others may be keyboard warriors, I dunno.

If we have an 8th placed finish next season then I can see the knives being out and rightly so. I can't see that it's justified with the mitigations already listed by other users.
I totally agree. If he were to be replaced now then whoever replaces him will be back to square one, a new coach should be given a minimum of 2 seasons, without the reasons listed above.
Even success doesn’t guarantee continuity as Leicester City are about to find out with Enzo Maresca
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigersunited wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:55 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:51 am Well it’s all been discussed in great detail on here but I’ll repeat it as you’ve obviously missed it or chosen to ignore it.

Injuries to key players

I really loose any faith in someone who says from what I’ve heard. If you really believe what you’ve heard put your cards on the table, and please don’t hide behind I don’t want to break anyone’s confidence, let’s have a name or at least the position they hold in the organisation, otherwise your from what I’ve heard isn’t worth diddly squat I’m afraid.
nice and inclusive of those that have an opinion differing from yours.
Seems to me you’re the one who doesn’t like differing opinions. You asked for the bigger picture which I’ve given you, I’ve again given my opinion on the I’ve heard brigade, not just you, and a number of others feel the same, and I notice you’ve not responded. Really don’t see what your issue is. If you don’t like the answer don’t ask the question
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We could still finish 8th next season but be massively improved.
There were valid excuses the season just gone, but there was also some "interesting" decisions made.
What hasn't been great is the Clubs communications, getting fines for both the Womens & Men's teams & bans from each for abusing officials.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with Rugbygramps, this year there has been some unique circumstances and of course.a lot was new to McKellar.I have no doubt there are a few things that D.K might wish he had done differently that is what learning a new role is all about. Maybe some of the players now better understand what the coach wants from them..Personally I will be disappointed if in a results based business we do not noticeably perform better next season but Dan McKellar definitely should be given time to develop his team with a proper pre season, there was a lot that was so nearly right that I am sure small adjustments will bring a big improvement in results.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:51 am Well it’s all been discussed in great detail on here but I’ll repeat it as you’ve obviously missed it or chosen to ignore it.

Injuries to key players

Do the press divulge all of their sources? No, they protect them, otherwise we would never ever learn the truth about what happens behind closed doors and likewise for whistle blowers. To state that something isn't worth didly squat unless you divulge your source is demonstrably untrue and ignorant.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:00 am

Injuries to key players

Do the press divulge all of their sources? No, they protect them, otherwise we would never ever learn the truth about what happens behind closed doors and likewise for whistle blowers. To state that something isn't worth didly squat unless you divulge your source is demonstrably untrue and ignorant.
The press come up with a story some actual news not WHAT IVE HEARD TOO that’s hardly a story it’s hearsay. If you can’t at least say someone on the playing staff or someone in the back office it remains hearsay. To not realise that is demonstrably ignorant
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

No offence to anyone, but an anonymous person on the Internet (with no apparent track record for having inside info), claiming an anonymous source for some information, doesn't make for a very persuasive level of credibility - especially when the anonymous person consistently displays an almost tribal dislike for the person that his "information" apparently seeks to criticise.

He might be right, he might not, but I'm no more convinced of squad unrest than I was before it was raised.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:24 am No offence to anyone, but an anonymous person on the Internet (with no apparent track record for having inside info), claiming an anonymous source for some information, doesn't make for a very persuasive level of credibility - especially when the anonymous person consistently displays an almost tribal dislike for the person that his "information" apparently seeks to criticise.

He might be right, he might not, but I'm no more convinced of squad unrest than I was before it was raised.
👍
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It does seem odd that for someone who usually constantly posts in the match thread complaining about a game. Doesn’t post a single thing about the game other despite going to it other than to say they got inside info that the camp is upset with McKeller.

This despite the fact they have never posted any previous inside info before or even hinted at it.

As said it may well be true but generally newspapers have to build that level to be taken fully seriously.

Just seems rather odd, random and strangely Convenient for their previous motives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Think McKellar was dealt a poor hand, and both attack and S&C seemed a significant downturn from the previous regime. Two or three close results went the other way, we'd be in the playoffs. That's not anywhere near as bad as some think, just not brilliant. I'm more concerned about the ladies team future than the mens
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Look, you can all moan and slate the bloke, that's your purgative but look at the bigger picture here. im all for giving him his full term of 4 years, why because if we dont do better than eighth but its still tight, is it his fault? also we get rid, bring someone else in and guess what first year rubbish and possible good / bad 2nd again. or the 3rd year with DM it clicks just as its done with Saints and Bath?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Regrettably, some feel like we should be winning the title every year and anything other than that is failure and heads must roll.

In terms of the unrest - in every walk of life there are teams of people where not everyone is 100% happy with the structure that you work in. However, your job as a professional is to do what you are asked when you are asked and in the way you're asked to do it. The reason you're being asked to do it that way is because the person leading you thinks it's the right way to do it. The unrest element says more about those being led, in most cases, than it does about the leaders.
SETiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SETiger »

PeteK wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:27 am Look, you can all moan and slate the bloke, that's your purgative but look at the bigger picture here. im all for giving him his full term of 4 years, why because if we dont do better than eighth but its still tight, is it his fault? also we get rid, bring someone else in and guess what first year rubbish and possible good / bad 2nd again. or the 3rd year with DM it clicks just as its done with Saints and Bath?
I mean it's possibly even worse. If a new coach came in half-way through 2024-25, they would get a honeymoon period. Then their first full season would be disrupted somewhat by a Lions tour in 2025; then they'd get a relatively calm 2026-27, followed by... another World Cup.

I do think that in a way whatever off-field issues Dan has had to deal with, it's almost lucky that they've come all at once, in the first season (touch wood).

PS Purgative/Prerogative is an absolutely outstanding typo/autocorrect/malapropism/witticism. Some of this stuff really is purgative! Chapeau.