LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

Rumours of player mentality especially, can also follow people’s own bias
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:18 pm Rumours of player mentality especially, can also follow people’s own bias
And are very easy to make claims about, if someone wants to.

There's plenty for the players to be upset about, having just finished 8th in the league. That doesn't mean they blame it on McKellar or don't want him there.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:55 am
Tigersunited wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:14 am I heard we had spent up, unless we exit someone, no other significant signings - that’s why he must have a plan, probably academy promotions.
I've heard the same but slightly differently. That we have/are spending up to the cap but have not finished announcing all signings yet.

I'll also add that Wilkinson leaving was announced after the full leavers list. Generally that only happens when a contracted player is agreed that he can leave late. For us to do that it means extra cap is freed up, plus for us to do it means we likely have something in the pipeline as a replacement.
The the interviews done with Andrea Pinchin she said dispite the club not supporting the raise in cap, the club would spend up to it, but indicated most would be going on retaining players due to them now needing increases since their last contracts.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:30 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:18 pm Rumours of player mentality especially, can also follow people’s own bias

There's plenty for the players to be upset about, having just finished 8th in the league. That doesn't mean they blame it on McKellar or don't want him there.
Yes very true, also doesn’t mean they don’t blame him.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:51 pm

Not a fan of Mckellar and the bigger picture are you
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Rumours of Leinster approaching Pollard
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LekkerTigers wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:36 am Rumours of Leinster approaching Pollard
Both concerning and unsurprising. We'll just have to wait and see end of next season
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kinda is a surprise given Leinster have 3 international 10’s and one deemed the future.

All their younger 10’s are better than Ross they just need to actually play them in the big games

I don’t see the IRFU evening entertaining it
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LekkerTigers wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:36 am Rumours of Leinster approaching Pollard
Is this the rumour from end of last year when Leinster were linked with Damien McKenzie and Pollard?
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:00 pm

The bigger picture?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:51 am Kinda is a surprise given Leinster have 3 international 10’s and one deemed the future.

All their younger 10’s are better than Ross they just need to actually play them in the big games

Yes but none of their 10s are Sexton. Frawley whilst young may be felt he can develop alongside a top quality 10, so a season or two.

Them enquiring doesn't surprise me, a LOT of clubs will be intrigued by the fact a double world cup winner is out of contract, wherever it comes from I do expect us to have competition in getting him to extend
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It’s possible he may find himself in a similar situation to Wiese. Young family, he’ll be 31 by the end of next season may be time to return home.
As other posters have said he will have plenty of suitors and part of Tigers decision will be VFM if he’s still involved in the Springboks plans
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:57 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:51 am Kinda is a surprise given Leinster have 3 international 10’s and one deemed the future.

Yes but none of their 10s are Sexton. Frawley whilst young may be felt he can develop alongside a top quality 10, so a season or two.

Them enquiring doesn't surprise me, a LOT of clubs will be intrigued by the fact a double world cup winner is out of contract, wherever it comes from I do expect us to have competition in getting him to extend
If Frawley stays at Leinster. The IRFU were encouraging him to look at moving to Ulster. Connacht will be in the market for a 10 as well soon so you'd imagine the IRFU to be trying to convince one of the three internationals Leinster or Prendergast to move to Connacht and learn from Carty.

Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne, Frawley and Prendergast is already a log jam at 10. They had the current Ireland under 20 flyhalf as well though he's almost certainly following his dad to Ulster (where he's now head coach).

Can't see the IRFU being happy about oking a NIQ flyhalf unless there's serious movement in the flyhalf stocks. Which could happen over the course of a year, if Ross is told that he's definitely not in Farrell's Ireland plans he could earn a good chunk in France before coming back and claiming his Irish tax rebate as he's 29 so leaving at 30 coming back at 32. One of the others moves to Connacht for more game time and to be the successor to Carty. Lot of what ifs though.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ulster are signing the former NZ U20 and hurricanes 10 Aidan Morgan by the sounds of it another IQP

Frawley Could def become a Sexton figure for them, reality is Harry Bryne and Frawley are both 10’s who imo can win the champions cup for Leinster if they just trust them
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:00 pm

I’m not a fan of the results he has achieved and what I hear, no idea what you mean by bigger picture though - care to expand?