LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:30 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:06 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:48 am Saying a Centre is unproven in the nh is so weird to say imo

I can’t think of many backs who have struggled in the NH

Like props, locks and coaches I get
He might be ok on field, off field another matter.
Nemani struggled first time up here.
And as I’m sure you know Nemani was a lot younger and home sick.
Perese also spent a season in Bayonne
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RunTigerRun »

So willst we have no rugby to enjoy from a Tigers POV now with all the matches involving things affecting us directly, I reckon we have the following to look forward to heading towards pre-season beginning:

- New Attack Coach Announcement
- New S&C / Head of Physical Performance Announcement
- Senior Academy Intake Announcement
- Senior Academy Promotions Announcement
- 1 / 2 more new Senior Signings?
- Full Senior Academy Squad
- Full Senior Squad
- Full Coaching Team

- Kit reveal
- Fixtures Announcement
- Pool Announcement/s

- Plus any Women’s Players’ News/signings

An exciting time to lead us into the new season!
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:18 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:57 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:51 am Parese scores a try today for the 'Tahs
Starting at wing also

Great try, comes off his wing attacks the line out wide and passes a lovely ball to the other winger tracks up with him and gets another lovely ball back and runs in from the try.

Starts the whole move on his own 5m line and runs it in from 40m
Good player, no doubt about that. Still think we are a centre short.
I’m sure mckellar knows what he is doing…….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

In an ideal world, even with Perese arriving I’d say we were a 10, centre and an outside back short, though the last one may depend on what is happening with Watson
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

True and if he has spent up he must not agree with us and have a plan!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:02 am True and if he has spent up he must not agree with us and have a plan!
Not everything announced yet apparently
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

I heard we had spent up, unless we exit someone, no other significant signings - that’s why he must have a plan, probably academy promotions.
Ellie
Tiger Cub

Post by Ellie »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:14 am I heard we had spent up, unless we exit someone, no other significant signings - that’s why he must have a plan, probably academy promotions.
Perhaps the rumour we have spent up includes signings we have made (or are in the process of making) but not yet announced. We do need a fly half and one that can kick penalties.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:14 am I heard we had spent up, unless we exit someone, no other significant signings - that’s why he must have a plan, probably academy promotions.
You’ve said this a number of times and keep using this word significant, which can lead in a number of directions.
I’m sure you believe what you hear, but like the poster who had heard from a good source about unrest in the camp, I’ll wait for something official
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Currently if Pollard is not available we have Shillcock as an able deputy, if Shillcock starts we have no experienced fly half for the bench but we do have Tom Threlfall an England Under 18 cap who was on our bench for the Black Lions game. Other than that match I have never seen the lad play but I assume that Tigers rate his potential.more highly than that of Morgan Meredith who looked pretty good to me so on that basis he is showing equivalent promise to a young George Ford or Sam Costelow so we may not need a signing. Kelly can kick.if necessary as can Steward they should be encouraged to develop those skills just in case they are needed in a match, it never hurts to have a spare kicker on the pitch.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I've heard the same but slightly differently. That we have/are spending up to the cap but have not finished announcing all signings yet.

I'll also add that Wilkinson leaving was announced after the full leavers list. Generally that only happens when a contracted player is agreed that he can leave late. For us to do that it means extra cap is freed up, plus for us to do it means we likely have something in the pipeline as a replacement.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
SETiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SETiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:55 am
I've heard the same but slightly differently. That we have/are spending up to the cap but have not finished announcing all signings yet.

I'll also add that Wilkinson leaving was announced after the full leavers list. Generally that only happens when a contracted player is agreed that he can leave late. For us to do that it means extra cap is freed up, plus for us to do it means we likely have something in the pipeline as a replacement.
Yes, I'd be staggered if there wasn't a 10 already lined up, after letting Wilkinson go. I'd argue that we should be looking at an upgrade on Shillcock as a backup to Pollard, because if we're happy to see Shillcock playing 10 for a good chunk of the season when Pollard is unavailable, then I would have thought the more junior 10's already at the club would be backup options.

It's no slight on Shillcock, he's a great option at 15 or on the bench, I'm just not sure we'd want to plan for him to start at 10 as much as he did this season.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:26 am
You’ve said this a number of times and keep using this word significant, which can lead in a number of directions.
I’m sure you believe what you hear, but like the poster who had heard from a good source about unrest in the camp, I’ll wait for something official
I heard the unrest one too! I don’t think they will officially announce no more signing tbh.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

SETiger wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:28 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:55 am

Yes, I'd be staggered if there wasn't a 10 already lined up, after letting Wilkinson go. I'd argue that we should be looking at an upgrade on Shillcock as a backup to Pollard, because if we're happy to see Shillcock playing 10 for a good chunk of the season when Pollard is unavailable, then I would have thought the more junior 10's already at the club would be backup options.

It's no slight on Shillcock, he's a great option at 15 or on the bench, I'm just not sure we'd want to plan for him to start at 10 as much as he did this season.
Well DM must have a plan - it would be a staggering if he deems two 10’s sufficient especially as HP will be away….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:47 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:26 am
I heard the unrest one too! I don’t think they will officially announce no more signing tbh.
Don’t really understand too many negatives. Rumours are easily fanned