LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:51 am Parese scores a try today for the 'Tahs
Starting at wing also

Great try, comes off his wing attacks the line out wide and passes a lovely ball to the other winger tracks up with him and gets another lovely ball back and runs in from the try.

Starts the whole move on his own 5m line and runs it in from 40m
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tigers86asw »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:57 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:51 am Parese scores a try today for the 'Tahs
Starting at wing also

Great try, comes off his wing attacks the line out wide and passes a lovely ball to the other winger tracks up with him and gets another lovely ball back and runs in from the try.

Good player, no doubt about that. Still think we are a centre short.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:18 am
Starting at wing also

3x12's, 1x13 at present.
The 13 is unproven in the NH.
One 12 is an apprentice.
Kata is an asset, but not necessarily helpful for those outside him.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Saying a Centre is unproven in the nh is so weird to say imo

I can’t think of many backs who have struggled in the NH

Like props, locks and coaches I get
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:48 am Saying a Centre is unproven in the nh is so weird to say imo

He might be ok on field, off field another matter.
Nemani struggled first time up here.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:39 am

Starting at wing also

3x12's, 1x13 at present.
One 12 is an apprentice.
I wonder if it is a player from the NH who has yet to finish their season. Still hoping for Marchant!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:06 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:48 am Saying a Centre is unproven in the nh is so weird to say imo

He might be ok on field, off field another matter.
Nemani struggled first time up here.
And as I’m sure you know Nemani was a lot younger and home sick.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:20 pm

3x12's, 1x13 at present.
One 12 is an apprentice.
I wonder if it is a player from the NH who has yet to finish their season. Still hoping for Marchant!
It could even be a player still involved in either the premiership or URC play offs
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Starting at wing also

3x12's, 1x13 at present.
One 12 is an apprentice.
Is it not possible that Kata could play 13 as that was where manu used to play as our crash ball centre, or does the defensive line now run off the 13. There is also then Charlie Myall who’s involved with the England under 20’s today and played 13 against the black lions I believe.
No ruling out signing an experienced 13 as Matt Scott definitely proved that an experienced 13 helped Kelly regain his best form, but if we are tight for budget I’d rather them use it on an out and out 2nd choice 10, who could possibly start to push for 1st choice towards the end of the season going into the one after and I’d imagine that with take a chunk of the cap.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Kata defensively isn’t good enough for 13.
For me he’s either impact or you use him at 12 in the Esterhuizen role. Will be interesting to see what the new attack coach thinks
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I think that Pollard may go back to SA when his contract runs out so we need a first choice 10 the season after next. Assuming Cole only plays one more season we will need another tight head unless Heyes steps up. We have the basis of a good young side going forward if we can plug one or two gaps.
A2O
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I have watched most Waratahs games this season and have posted that I have seen little in Perese's game to excite me, in fact in many games he was replaced or started on the bench. Waratahs are a poor team, do not appear to be well coached and they have a lightweight pack. Today they were comprehensively beaten by the team just above them.In the league however Perese p!ayed well, selected on the wing he made some good runs, was strong in contact and showed good pace and intelligence in the build up and comp!etion of the try he scored. He was on the pitch for the full 80 minutes, I don't think he is a natural winger but on that performance I think he could be very effective outside Kelly and with pace outside him.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:15 pm I think that Pollard may go back to SA when his contract runs out so we need a first choice 10 the season after next. Assuming Cole only plays one more season we will need another tight head unless Heyes steps up. We have the basis of a good young side going forward if we can plug one or two gaps.
There's perhaps more options available next summer should Pollard opt to head back to SA. Not sure that's a foregone conclusion either. None are going to have Pollard's pedigree mind.

Joe Simmonds will be coming to the end of his two year deal with Pau.

Caleb Muntz from Drua, he's had a long layoff having gotten injured on the eve of last year's world cup. Very talented young flyhalf with a good kicking game.

Will Haydon-Wood from Chiefs. Was first choice at Falcons before a poorly advised move to Wasps, unlucky to be the back up at Chiefs. Talented all rounder.

Ben Healey the former Munster current Edinburgh and Scotland flyhalf.

Santi Carreras from Gloucester.

Gareth Anscombe depending on how he does at Glaws next season, if we sign a promising young 10 he could do a nice mentoring role similar to what he'll be doing at Glaws next season.

Tighthead will be a tough one though.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Starting at wing also

I think we have been a centre short since Ant and Manu
I'm not cynical just experienced
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We certainly missed Anthony Allen when he had to stop playing and Many started missing most games, with Twelvetrees leaving the replacement centres were not good enough until recently. Kelly, Porter, Scott, Kata a pretty good group. Losing Scott and Porter and adding Perese is still strong but much will depend on how much Woodward has developed since I last saw him.play, he did look quality but we do need pace on the wing, hopefully a fit Watson can provide that