Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Dan Mckellar

Post by Old Hob »

Robespierre wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 pm
trendylfj wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:55 am I followed Deano's method
Deano's warm up may be similar to that of the Munster and Ireland legend Moss Keane:

"It's said that Moss Keane was sitting in the changing room at Lansdowne Road lighting up, whereupon the trainer came in and told him to get on to the pitch for a warm-up. “. off,” was the reply, “I’m warm enough. I had the heater on in the car on the way”.
As an England player, Deano got lots of freebies. When he stopped being an international, they asked for them back. He really missed one or two things but the exercise bike went back completely unopened with just the address changed.

Edit: Not much of a slogan, "As looked at in his garage by Dean Richards".
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Interesting article in the Telegraph about George Martin. He says he like to "hit hard". Courtney Lawes says, that's great but you are getting hit hard as well. George has only started 5 times for us this season.
The part that really interested me was that he chose to go outside the club, outside the England set-up for rehab and S&C.
Here's the relevant quote:
"But Martin is beginning to “understand his body better” with each passing season. As a prime example of this comprehension, of a growing maturity, after the World Cup Martin sought industry-leading reconditioning and rehabilitation advice from Bill Knowles. Based in Philadelphia, Knowles counts some of the great NFL and NRL franchises – as well as Tiger Woods, Frank Lampard, John Terry and Andy Murray – among his list of previous clients.

“I wanted to go and try it and see what he had to offer,” says Martin. “I had heard that he was the best in the world at it and I learnt so much from him. I’m very grateful. And now most of my gym, preparation and rehab bits are all sort of based around things that he gave me to work on. It has been beneficial.”

“Longevity is a part of it. I’m still 22, with a long career ahead of me. I need to make sure I get it right now so that this does not keep cropping up every six months, every year. I’m making sure I’m putting in the work now, getting it right now, so that this doesn’t happen again in a year’s time. But if it does, it does. I’m sure I’ll get over it and I’ll get back ready to play – like the last few times.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:35 pm
Robespierre wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 pm
trendylfj wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:55 am I followed Deano's method
Deano's warm up may be similar to that of the Munster and Ireland legend Moss Keane:

"It's said that Moss Keane was sitting in the changing room at Lansdowne Road lighting up, whereupon the trainer came in and told him to get on to the pitch for a warm-up. “. off,” was the reply, “I’m warm enough. I had the heater on in the car on the way”.
As an England player, Deano got lots of freebies. When he stopped being an international, they asked for them back. He really missed one or two things but the exercise bike went back completely unopened with just the address changed.

Edit: Not much of a slogan, "As looked at in his garage by Dean Richards".
I always thought it was the rowing machine but good story non the less
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

ourla wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:24 am Probably good that expectations are very low for next season.
Hindsight is always great but despite being underwhelmed by his appointment, he started a bit behind the 8 ball. Next season is the decider, along with good recruitment. Then we'll know. Top 6 unless we get some stellar new boys.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

I expect much more with that squad!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:54 am I expect much more with that squad!
I hear what you’re saying but with the exception of Newcastle, and possibly Gloucester, the squads are much more equal these days. Couple of seasons ago there were 13 clubs, now the same number of premiership players are squeezed into 10 squads. The big name foreign signings, that could have made the difference are reducing too
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Yes, I think our core of players is very strong - if we don’t achieve to our potential I fear this group could split up pretty quickly.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:04 am Yes, I think our core of players is very strong - if we don’t achieve to our potential I fear this group could split up pretty quickly.
Does anyone think that our current squad could have lived with either side in the Champions Cup final yesterday? The physicality, the pace, the stamina, the handling, scrummaging and ability to think on their feet was far beyond anything we have produced this year.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Old Hob wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:36 am
Tigersunited wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:04 am Yes, I think our core of players is very strong - if we don’t achieve to our potential I fear this group could split up pretty quickly.
Does anyone think that our current squad could have lived with either side in the Champions Cup final yesterday? The physicality, the pace, the stamina, the handling, scrummaging and ability to think on their feet was far beyond anything we have produced this year.

Even when we won the premiership final under Borthwick we couldn’t have lived with either team yesterday.

Like that’s not really marker we are aiming for
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

When has that ever happened, at any club, in the same context and for that reason?

Look at the current Premiership table - no player at a top 8 club is going to move to another English club solely because the other club won 2 more matches this season.

And none of our established England internationals are going to suddenly cancel their international careers aged 23 to move to France.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:40 am

Even when we won the premiership final under Borthwick we couldn’t have lived with either team yesterday.

It's 20 years since we've been at that level, in a different era. Until there's a huge shift in rugby economics, we won't be back there again.

Completely irrelevant as a comparison.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:45 am

It's 20 years since we've been at that level, in a different era. Until there's a huge shift in rugby economics, we won't be back there again.

Part of it is financing certainly but part of continued success at the highest level is dynasty building.

Ugo Mola HC at Toulouse in post 9 years.
Leo Cullen at Leinster 9 years.
Ronan O'Gara 5 years at La Rochelle.
Rob Baxter 15 years at Exeter Chiefs.

Those are the four semi finalists in Europe. Continuation of good coaches over a period of time let's you build up. Had we managed to keep Borthwick, Ellis and George I think that was the trajectory we were on. Not immediately but refinement over a period of time.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Could have sworn Toulouse beat Quins, but point well made
SETiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SETiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:05 pm

Part of it is financing certainly but part of continued success at the highest level is dynasty building.

Those are the four semi finalists in Europe. Continuation of good coaches over a period of time let's you build up. Had we managed to keep Borthwick, Ellis and George I think that was the trajectory we were on. Not immediately but refinement over a period of time.
The semi-finalists were Leinster, Saints, Toulouse and Quins. So the continuity argument is slightly less clear in the case of Quins and Saints (although we can see Saints on an upward trajectory under that coaching team).

I certainly think that we have to be careful about declaring that English clubs cannot compete financially, when two sides made the semis. But it would be a stretch to say that Saints or Quins would have been likely winners in that final yesterday.
SETiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SETiger »

SETiger wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:17 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:05 pm

The semi-finalists were Leinster, Saints, Toulouse and Quins. So the continuity argument is slightly less clear in the case of Quins and Saints (although we can see Saints on an upward trajectory under that coaching team).

I certainly think that we have to be careful about declaring that English clubs cannot compete financially, when two sides made the semis. But it would be a stretch to say that Saints or Quins would have been likely winners in that final yesterday.
Oh, and I think it goes without saying that what Tigers need is a good spell of continuity in the coaching set-up.