LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:00 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:24 am Ultimate rugby lists as a Tigers player at least dual registered.
Know nothing about him tbh
Highly doubt he's dual registered, he played one friendly game (black lions) which won't have required registration. It was at a time we were struggling for fit locks (Chessum x2, Martin & Henderson all out injured) so we used our partnership with Nottingham to help cover a position in the friendly. Ultimate rugby will have added him on that basis.
Him and Clift where two players signed to Nottingham after some talks with Leicester and got a lot of training with the Tigers team in preseason.
Sort of EQP projects with eyes being kept on during the season.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:16 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:24 am Ultimate rugby lists as a Tigers player at least dual registered.
Know nothing about him tbh
Highly doubt he's dual registered, he played one friendly game (black lions) which won't have required registration. It was at a time we were struggling for fit locks (Chessum x2, Martin & Henderson all out injured) so we used our partnership with Nottingham to help cover a position in the friendly. Ultimate rugby will have added him on that basis.
Him and Clift where two players signed to Nottingham after some talks with Leicester and got a lot of training with the Tigers team in preseason.
How did Clift get on this season out of interest, I haven't really heard much about him since he signed
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:43 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:16 am

How did Clift get on this season out of interest, I haven't really heard much about him since he signed
Been injured most of it!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Talking of potential signings, with Pollard obviously the incumbent 10 and Shillcock proving a capable deputy if required, is there a chance to take a bit more of a punt on a back up 10. Someone like Pat Pellegrini from Coventry; really good in the PRC and champ last season, late call up into the Tonga RWC squad. Could be a good bet make the step up to the Prem.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:06 pm Talking of potential signings, with Pollard obviously the incumbent 10 and Shillcock proving a capable deputy if required, is there a chance to take a bit more of a punt on a back up 10. Someone like Pat Pellegrini from Coventry; really good in the PRC and champ last season, late call up into the Tonga RWC squad. Could be a good bet make the step up to the Prem.
I'd say so. We've got the longer term hope in the development squad as well so a punt wouldn't be a bad call.

Pat Pellegrini from Coventry. George Worboys who's left Bath. Josh Thomas from Falcons. All would be reasonable punts. Dan Jones from Scarlets more a reliable back up.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd go for Ben Volavola of the available 10s who seem reasonable targets from a cap perspective.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:54 pm I'd go for Ben Volavola of the available 10s who seem reasonable targets from a cap perspective.
Obviously Liebenberg becoming EQP may help things but we may need an EQP player
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:15 pm
ABClub wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:54 pm I'd go for Ben Volavola of the available 10s who seem reasonable targets from a cap perspective.
If EQP is the criteria then Worboys, trying to bring home Charlie Titcombe, give McPhillips another go. I don't think there's any obvious EQP 10s available this summer.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:33 pm
If EQP is the criteria then Worboys, trying to bring home Charlie Titcombe, give McPhillips another go. I don't think there's any obvious EQP 10s available this summer.
Manu Vunipola is one I'd consider.

For me Shillcock has the 22 shirt when Pollard is fit, but if Pollard and Steward are both gone I expect Shillcock to be our 15. So it almost needs to be someone who can start at 10 if needed, but not be upset if not in the 23. So Vunipola as a player who has spent a chunk of his career in that 2nd/3rd choice spot may work
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:51 pm

For me Shillcock has the 22 shirt when Pollard is fit, but if Pollard and Steward are both gone I expect Shillcock to be our 15. So it almost needs to be someone who can start at 10 if needed, but not be upset if not in the 23. So Vunipola as a player who has spent a chunk of his career in that 2nd/3rd choice spot may work
Totally agree. Plenty of talent change of scenery could be the making of him
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:18 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:51 pm

Totally agree. Plenty of talent change of scenery could be the making of him
Can't say I rate Vunipola particularly highly but he'd be worth a punt at the right price, I suspect he'd be looking for more salary than a few of the other options though. He might come good and prove me wrong. I suspect he'll end up in France though.

Wouldn't mind bringing back Johnny McPhillips from Provence. He had a up and down time with us but seemed to come half good at the end. This season hasn't worked out for him but he was playing regularly the two seasons before.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I would say the one thing about Vunipola is he doesn’t necessarily fit how Sarries want to play, which may of course be the same here. Possibly similar to Atkinson
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

To be honest this chat is why I find it odd to have released Morgan Meredith. That profile of player as third choice while developing in BUCS or loan seems a pretty decent fit.

If we got some injuries we'd probably sign someone extra later anyway.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Parese scores a try today for the 'Tahs
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:51 am Parese scores a try today for the 'Tahs
One of the few bright spots for Tahs in their loss to Moana Pasifika