LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by ay2oh »

Or Etzebeth would be terrible
A2O
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by fentiger »

Amazing how many 'bad' players are still playing well into their 30's ain't it? :smt017
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

MrG2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:22 pm Just looked through the ealing leavers and saw that Steven Shingler was on the list. Could be a useful old head to fill the bench slot behind Polly. Still only 32, but didn’t ply against us in the semi. Any ideas if he is still any good
He wasn’t up to much when he left Wales!
Also I think I read somewhere that he’s coaching Ealing ladies next season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m not aware that any of the smartarse examples were playing in THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

To clarify 30 something journeyman players from the championship
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:18 pm I’m not aware that any of the smartarse examples were playing in THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

To clarify 30 something journeyman players from the championship
I think the smartarse examples were in response to the first reply to your post, not to you.

I agree the likes of Shingler would not be particularly beneficial to Tigers.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There's a difference between signing a once top level player who is perhaps past his best and signing a 30 something never was.

The former can contribute the benefit of top level experience as a sort of informal player coach. That's different to the input someone who hasn't played at the top level and has no coaching experience.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:21 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:48 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:01 pm I am all in favour of looking to bring in young players from championship clubs, who could develop into premiership players. Bringing 30 somethings in from the championship achieves nothing imo
For me suggesting bringing 30 somethings in is a sign of supporter desperation as the club has to date only announced 3 new signings when we have let go so many players. I think some folks are going to be disappointed if no more quality signings are announced as I shall be one of them.
I always think of Nemani, Ashton, Brown, etc as disastrous signings because once you hit 30 you’re clearly terrible. Don’t understand why we play Cole still either.
Well some have really taken exception. I did end by post by stating "quality signings" so that would exclude some 30 somethings from the championship. it would not exclude those that you stated as they clearly are "quality" and not from the championship!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You could argue that Ashton and Brown was considered worse than some championship when they signed
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Have a feeling Joussain might be coming on a proper deal
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:25 pm Have a feeling Joussain might be coming on a proper deal
Your feeling is incorrect. At least not next season, anyway…
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TheChild wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:06 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:25 pm Have a feeling Joussain might be coming on a proper deal
Your feeling is incorrect. At least not next season, anyway…
We’ll see what happens by the time the season starts
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

They do that for loan players so their name shows up on the team lists properly
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ultimate rugby lists as a Tigers player at least dual registered.
Know nothing about him tbh
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:24 am Ultimate rugby lists as a Tigers player at least dual registered.
Know nothing about him tbh
Highly doubt he's dual registered, he played one friendly game (black lions) which won't have required registration. It was at a time we were struggling for fit locks (Chessum x2, Martin & Henderson all out injured) so we used our partnership with Nottingham to help cover a position in the friendly. Ultimate rugby will have added him on that basis.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.