LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by trendylfj »

I was the one who asked Jasper about Beets whilst asking about the garden route between CT and Port Elizabeth which he didn't know a great deal about as he is from a part of SA near Namibia and was certainly of the opinion, when he answered my question about Beets, that he really did think we have got a very very good player. Only my opinion of course, but he said it with a great deal of conviction in his voice and on his face and I really believe him.
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Rugbygramps »

No reason not to Trendy
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Wiese has a 6 week ban, by the way, which feels very harsh.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:52 am Wiese has a 6 week ban, by the way, which feels very harsh.
I would agree particularly from one of the angles I saw. He does have previous though
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:59 am
Darc Tiger wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:52 am Wiese has a 6 week ban, by the way, which feels very harsh.
I would agree particularly from one of the angles I saw. He does have previous though
Can't remember his last suspension. Feels like a long time ago. No special treatment, like Faz, I suppose.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:08 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:59 am
Can't remember his last suspension. Feels like a long time ago. No special treatment, like Faz, I suppose.
Until the team yellow he picked up the other week vs Saints, he hadn't picked up a card of any kind in over 2 years. His last being Boxing day 2021 vs Bristol where we nearly lost. He was then banned for 2 games due to cumulative collection of yellows, right in the middle of us having an injury crisis in the back row and lock.

The following 2 games vs Newcastle and Wasps we had Wells starting at 6. Martin (one game) and Chessum (the other) starting at 8. Murimurivalu and Dolly provided the bench cover for lock and back row and the 2nd of those we lost our record win streak.

The possible cost of his yellows for losing it seemed to get him to really knuckle down and work on the discipline side of things.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Just looked through the ealing leavers and saw that Steven Shingler was on the list. Could be a useful old head to fill the bench slot behind Polly. Still only 32, but didn’t ply against us in the semi. Any ideas if he is still any good
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

MrG2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:22 pm Just looked through the ealing leavers and saw that Steven Shingler was on the list. Could be a useful old head to fill the bench slot behind Polly. Still only 32, but didn’t ply against us in the semi. Any ideas if he is still any good
Shingler's list :smt044
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

MrG2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:22 pm Just looked through the ealing leavers and saw that Steven Shingler was on the list. Could be a useful old head to fill the bench slot behind Polly. Still only 32, but didn’t ply against us in the semi. Any ideas if he is still any good
He's going to be playing for London Welsh in the 5th tier next season I understand.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I am all in favour of looking to bring in young players from championship clubs, who could develop into premiership players. Bringing 30 somethings in from the championship achieves nothing imo
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:01 pm I am all in favour of looking to bring in young players from championship clubs, who could develop into premiership players. Bringing 30 somethings in from the championship achieves nothing imo
For me suggesting bringing 30 somethings in is a sign of supporter desperation as the club has to date only announced 3 new signings when we have let go so many players. I think some folks are going to be disappointed if no more quality signings are announced as I shall be one of them.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

sapajo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:48 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:01 pm I am all in favour of looking to bring in young players from championship clubs, who could develop into premiership players. Bringing 30 somethings in from the championship achieves nothing imo
For me suggesting bringing 30 somethings in is a sign of supporter desperation as the club has to date only announced 3 new signings when we have let go so many players. I think some folks are going to be disappointed if no more quality signings are announced as I shall be one of them.
I always think of Nemani, Ashton, Brown, etc as disastrous signings because once you hit 30 you’re clearly terrible. Don’t understand why we play Cole still either.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:21 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:48 pm
I always think of Nemani, Ashton, Brown, etc as disastrous signings because once you hit 30 you’re clearly terrible. Don’t understand why we play Cole still either.
I hope we don't sign any rubbish 30 something year old players, like Beauden Barrett, Jack Conan or Cheslin Kolbe. That would be truly disastrous.