Is Tigers emblem unique?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rich1576

Is Tigers emblem unique?

Post by rich1576 »

Came across a Facebook post today about a school in the US and something familiar stood out.

https://dchs.dawsoncountyschools.org/

I thought Tiger's brand was unique?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Is Tigers emblem unique?

Post by Rugbygramps »

Although they are similar they’re not a facsimile of each other.
A quick google shows a large number of teams identified as Tigers throughout the world and I think anyone would have difficulty trademarking a Tigers head, and at the end of the day there are only so many things you can do with it
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I seem to remember somebody finding an amateur team somewhere using a copy of the Tigers branding but with colours changed to Yellow and Black. I'm certain the logo in the OP would be in breach of copyright as it is a perfect copy with the colours changed. To be fair to the school are likely totally unaware and have just been conned by a very lazy Graphic designer OR somebody at the school has done it not thinking anybody would ever notice.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:22 am I seem to remember somebody finding an amateur team somewhere using a copy of the Tigers branding but with colours changed to Yellow and Black. I'm certain the logo in the OP would be in breach of copyright as it is a perfect copy with the colours changed. To be fair to the school are likely totally unaware and have just been conned by a very lazy Graphic designer OR somebody at the school has done it not thinking anybody would ever notice.
I’m not convinced it is a perfect copy, there are enough subtle differences. Either way no harm no foul leave them to it
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I have more of an issue with Glaws Lion - looks like the Tigers one with the stripes rubbed out!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The Tigers emblem is registered and therefore should be unique. Originally the design was a single colour design but as the Tiger's eye has to be darker than the outline the single colour was not appropriate for all backgrounds. This was pointed out by the original designer following a match when he saw light coloured garments in the shop with the eye therefore lighter than the outline. Keith Grainger the then operations manager accused me of cocking up and talked about compensation. I had imbibed a pint or several and told him the design was as per artwork and he could get stuffed. I was able to point out that many of the logos around the ground including the large one dyed into the centre of the pitch were also wrong and any error was either down to him or the designer. Talk of compensation ended and a small change to the design adding a second colour when necessary ensured that future production was in line with registration.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

rich1576 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:35 am Came across a Facebook post today about a school in the US and something familiar stood out.

https://dchs.dawsoncountyschools.org/

I thought Tiger's brand was unique?
US schools and high schools do this all the time with brands from all over, I think there is generally weak protection for copy right in the US for non-commercial uses like this.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

There was a very excitable chap on here some years ago which some of you may remember. He was furious that Kent County Cricket had changed their logo and it included a curved shield. He was trying to prompt Tigers to sue. I wonder if he's calmed down yet.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

That's about as much of a blatant rip off as it could be really, bar from the line of yellow bits.

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ads wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:11 pm That's about as much of a blatant rip off as it could be really, bar from the line of yellow bits.

They've rotated it around a few degrees too...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:22 am I seem to remember somebody finding an amateur team somewhere using a copy of the Tigers branding but with colours changed to Yellow and Black. I'm certain the logo in the OP would be in breach of copyright as it is a perfect copy with the colours changed. To be fair to the school are likely totally unaware and have just been conned by a very lazy Graphic designer OR somebody at the school has done it not thinking anybody would ever notice.
Probably this one?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165142702879

Later changed their logo to something less "copied": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USRC_Tigers_RFC
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

tjs10inOz wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:22 am
Probably this one?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165142702879

Later changed their logo to something less "copied": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USRC_Tigers_RFC
It may well have been, I had it in my head that it was a Canadian team for some reason though
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I've got to say that I'm a little bit gutted seeing these others with the same logo.
I had the tigers head tattoo'd on my shoulder the day before the euro semi against Llanelli at the City Ground in Nottingham. No shield just the head which is slightly different to the one now because of the eye and the teeth are a little different. Apart from the split in the middle with the line of colours they are exactly the same!
I don't want people to think I went to and American High school or support an Hong Kong amateur rugby club.....,😕
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

Dont worry I have some Chinese characters on my shoulder that actually read as “chicken fried rice” lol :smt022
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

PJM wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:12 pm Dont worry I have some Chinese characters on my shoulder that actually read as “chicken fried rice” lol :smt022
🤣