LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:53 am IMO Moroni form has dipped since moving to Falcons, understandably, but as they say class is permanent and that ability to cover centre and wing is invaluable
Thing is we don't need a starting centre which is what he was here before and what Falcons required.

To me this is a bit like when we brought Burns back.

Burns left as our starting 10, then returned as our backup 10.

Moroni left as our starting 13 comes back as our backup 13.

His defensive organisation along with his and Kelly's relationship though could make him a great signing
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Would love for Moroni to come back. He should’ve never left really.

For me these players fall into two camps. Players who can do a job at test level, especially if they’re in form, someone like Hipkiss, Vesty etc. Or test level players. Porter for me fell into the former and Moroni the latter.

Ewers on a one year deal would be a very good signing. He’s basically an eight in his carrying ability
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Moroni to come back (biggest mistake the club made not keeping him) ..., Dan Cole scores, Attack coach coming, S+C changed roll on next year going to be fun!!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Billy V leaving Saracens - would you take him !!?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:27 am Billy V leaving Saracens - would you take him !!?
Going france, but no I wouldn;t
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:58 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:53 am IMO Moroni form has dipped since moving to Falcons, understandably, but as they say class is permanent and that ability to cover centre and wing is invaluable
Thing is we don't need a starting centre which is what he was here before and what Falcons required.

Do the stats back that? a question, not a challenge.

As a huge Moroni fan, anecdotally, I often felt he didn’t start enough.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Moroni was not always a starter in his 35 appearances over his two years with us. A good player but in two years with Falcons has only appeared 20 times to me that suggests that at 33 his skills are fading and I don't think he would be an asset as a player for us. We need some one quicker and younger either from our Academy or a signing to build a team that can grow together.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 am
westwinds31 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:27 am Billy V leaving Saracens - would you take him !!?
Going france, but no I wouldn;t
Off to Montpellier and no thanks
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Morgan Bunting a 10, is leaving Nottingham at the end of the season. EQP and will likely have been involved in the past with some of our training - I wonder if he is the sort of backup 10 we are looking at?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:47 am Moroni was not always a starter in his 35 appearances over his two years with us. A good player but in two years with Falcons has only appeared 20 times to me that suggests that at 33 his skills are fading and I don't think he would be an asset as a player for us. We need some one quicker and younger either from our Academy or a signing to build a team that can grow together.
Whilst I get this view, we've shown signing players like Gopperth, Brown & Ashton can be a real asset to have experienced players backing up our starters.

I will also say that 20 starts at Newcastle are a little skewed by the world cup season.

I think Kelly for example really enjoyed having his leadership and experience outside him.

I also don't see him as blocking that many from the Academy next season, there's only really Myall who's a 13 and I'd say he's a season off being in the matchday 23 for more than the PRC and a couple of other appearances.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I don’t know if Carreras is staying or going, but if he's staying, then surely there's a chance George Barton may want a look elsewhere, if we can attract him I think he'd lbe a great little signing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:12 pm I don’t know if Carreras is staying or going, but if he's staying, then surely there's a chance George Barton may want a look elsewhere, if we can attract him I think he'd lbe a great little signing.
Not certain but I think Skivington sees him more as a 15. With Ainscombe and Atkinson they will be stocked ok
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Not overly impressed with Barton when I've seen him, but might be a good project player at the right price, if he's happy still being number 2.

I'm in the minority, but I'd take Billy V for a season, unless we have someone else waiting in the wings, at the right price. I suspect he wouldn't be available at the right price though.

Moroni - yes please, but I've barely seen any of his appearances for Newcastle. However, a lot of what he brings is his attitude, work rate, defensive awareness and general rugby intelligence and for me that's something we've lost a bit of recently.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

On Moroni I don't think we need someone younger or quicker
We have Perese coming in to hopefully provide an attacking aspect.

But what we will be missing without Scott next season is a more stable force. Moroni was never that quick a player for us, he didn't make breaks very much from what I remember. But he gave the ball to wingers with a lot of space and his defence was the best in the league.

Marchant is a the dream but he's still in contract in Paris and I doubt he will leave them until the season after next. If Moroni can come in until then I would be happy.

Kelly - Balance allrounder
Kata - Brute force carrier
Perese - Flair
Moroni - Defensive general

Feels pretty well covered, with Myall and Woodward as two very promising all rounders in the dev squad.

I do also feel it's harder to do much more with the backs outside of another 10 signing, not until the season after next where Ben Youngs and Watson are potentially out of contract.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ben Agbenu not been kept by the Saints squad, he would be worth a look as a dev 13/wing player
Scored a cracking try in the final.