Law changes coming in to effect 1st July

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Law changes coming in to effect 1st July

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Law changes coming in to effect 1st July

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Law changes coming in to effect:

Must retreat if in front of the kicker (i.e. closes Dupont law)

Ban crocodile roles

Cannot choose a scrum from a free kick

Law trials that competitions can choose to trial

20min red

30s "shot clock" to set scrum and lineouts

Allow non straight lineouts if not contested

Allow mark to be called inside 22 off a restart

Making the scrum half less able to be contested at the base of a ruck or maul
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Samhorace
Tiger Cub

Post by Samhorace »

So being cynical, the scrum is under constant pressure.. Early engaged other offence and give away a free kick to avoid giving away a penalty?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Why allow a mark from a kick.off, personally I would ban the mark call completely. I can see that we might go back to a kick short of the 22 which will allow the kicking sides forwards to contest the ball. A suggestion might be to enforce offside rules at the kick off, make sure everyone behind them kicker.
30 seconds for a line out, the conference before a lineout annoys me but adding to the refs job in timing each scrum and lineout is going to lead to dispute, I foresee a plethora of props getting an injury at the position of the throw..
Some of the changes may work.other will.simply further overcomplicate the game
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Injury, bootlace undone or dodgy contact lens at the line-out, yes.

No re-scrum from free-kick? I agree with Samhorace.

Protection of the 9 should be extended to the ridiculous amount of harassing that some are getting at the scrum.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I would rather see how they work in practice before being critical
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Old Hob wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:45 pm Injury, bootlace undone or dodgy contact lens at the line-out, yes.

No re-scrum from free-kick? I agree with Samhorace.

Protection of the 9 should be extended to the ridiculous amount of harassing that some are getting at the scrum.
Agree. Neither scrum half permitted beyond the ball and contact with scum half means one of them is beyond the ball.

Perhaps doesn't need a law change more an enforcement of the existing laws. Obstruction if the scrum half is protecting his 8 or tackle off the ball if the scum half is played before picking up the ball.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Outlawing of the caterpillar ruck would have been the first thing on the list for me.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ourla wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 am Outlawing of the caterpillar ruck would have been the first thing on the list for me.
I’m not that opposed to an extended ruck it’s the adding of 1 or 2 more bodies when the ball is already at the back that annoys me
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:55 am
ourla wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 am Outlawing of the caterpillar ruck would have been the first thing on the list for me.
I’m not that opposed to an extended ruck it’s the adding of 1 or 2 more bodies when the ball is already at the back that annoys me
Yeah, that's what I would outlaw. When this was discussed on here it seemed universally popular and seemed easy to implement. I don't understand it tbh.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ourla wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:08 pm
Yeah, that's what I would outlaw. When this was discussed on here it seemed universally popular and seemed easy to implement. I don't understand it tbh.
Once the ref calls use it then no one is allowed to join the ruck. Get the refs to call use it more readily and it cuts down the long drawn out building of the caterpillar ruck. Job done.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

On the other hand, the caterpillar may tie in a lot of players?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:55 pm

Once the ref calls use it then no one is allowed to join the ruck. Get the refs to call use it more readily and it cuts down the long drawn out building of the caterpillar ruck. Job done.
But they still do
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The simple solution to caterpillar rucks is to that once a maul has formed, any player joining must bind onto 2 players in front of him. At a stroke, the caterpillar requires twice as many players to resource its extension.

And enforce the 5 seconds to use it. Saw it happen in the ladies 6N but never seen it in the Premiership.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:48 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:55 pm
But they still do
Sorry, that was my suggestion for a law tweak to remove the long build up of caterpillar rucks.