LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tigerbeat »

albany wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:47 pm Dickens - gone
Richardson - gone

You wonder how much input Mckellar had in to these appointments and how much better things will be when he has people of his own choosing around.
Where is this being reported?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:06 pm
albany wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:47 pm Dickens - gone
Richardson - gone

You wonder how much input Mckellar had in to these appointments and how much better things will be when he has people of his own choosing around.
Where is this being reported?
I think both are rumoured rather than reported
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:51 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:46 pm who was the other young 10 at Wasps with Atkinson, I remember he was highly rated, where has he ended up?
Do you mean Jacob Umaga? If so he is at Benetton
Worth pointing out he was at Tigers Academy, but went to Wasps rather than our Senior Academy.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

:smt048
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:05 pm No idea if this is practical or possible, but with Jonathan Davies leaving Scarlets, I'd be tempted to have a look at him for us. We need a centre, especially at 13. Could be a pretty good option to bring in as back up to Perese and help bring young Charlie Myall on. We have lost several of our "golden oldies" in Nemani, Ashton, Gopperth etc, losing a hefty amount of rugby IQ with it, so I'd be keen to have someone with that level of experience come in.
From what I've seen of Foxy he's got hardly any pace left. I get the idea of an experienced option given our centres. I really think he's more of a 12 than 13 now though. Scarlets have used him at 13 again when fit but the regions are in proper strife in reality. His injury list is brutal for any player but especially an outside back. Knee, calf and achilles.

I'd lean towards playing the youngsters unless at centre signing was a gun carrier.

I'd lean towards prioritising ball carriers with any remaining recruitment though, so that's just my preference around squad balance anyway. It's my big worry looking at next seasons known squad. The full strength first XV is right on that borderline where if I squint there's just about enough ball carrying, but it isn't ideal. Then the reserves has almost none.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ashton, Brown, Gopperth, Nadolo all generally seemed to have injury free careers
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wilkinson heading to Newcastle for next season.

https://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/leic ... -signs-up/

We might need to acquire a flyhalf before next season.

Apologies if I'm slow on this one.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:49 pm Wilkinson heading to Newcastle for next season.

……

Yes, but interesting to see the Falcons post
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:09 pm Just throwing this out there with no basis in fact but could Manu Vunipola be looking for a new challenge with his cousins on the move too
He's leaving Sarries in the summer but that would be a downgrade. I've not seen anything from him to suggest he's got a future at this level.

Barton at Glaws if we could get him (he's also played some 15), the flyhalf at Coventry is highly rated. The Black Lions 10 from the other night perhaps (think he might be able to cover 15 as well). All should be fairly cost effective.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:49 pm Wilkinson heading to Newcastle for next season.

https://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/leic ... -signs-up/

We might need to acquire a flyhalf before next season.

Maybe Andy Goode is planning on a return…??
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:05 pm No idea if this is practical or possible, but with Jonathan Davies leaving Scarlets, I'd be tempted to have a look at him for us. We need a centre, especially at 13. Could be a pretty good option to bring in as back up to Perese and help bring young Charlie Myall on. We have lost several of our "golden oldies" in Nemani, Ashton, Gopperth etc, losing a hefty amount of rugby IQ with it, so I'd be keen to have someone with that level of experience come in.
Along with Stephen Jones a player who would have been ideal at Tigers, not now though his legs have gone, a few years ago he was one of the best in the world.

If we sign another centre 13 has to be their preferred position, we have enough 12s already.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:41 pm
Along with Stephen Jones a player who would have been ideal at Tigers, not now though his legs have gone, a few years ago he was one of the best in the world.

If we sign another centre 13 has to be their preferred position, we have enough 12s already.
With squad size reducing we could do with a centre that can also cover wing.

Or some kind of wonder utility back that can play 10/centre/wing/15...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The wonder back is off to Leinster...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:56 pm The wonder back is off to Leinster...
There are others than Jordie Barrett

Lozowski plays 10 & 13

Also AViewFromLe2 pointed out on Twitter that Sam James is leaving Sale, now I think he's rumoured off to France, but he's a 13 who covers 12, 10 & 15
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/FreddieBurns/status ... rOAIQ&s=19

Freddie Burns rules himself out of a return next season...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:56 pm The wonder back is off to Leinster...
There are others than Jordie Barrett

Lozowski plays 10 & 13

Also AViewFromLe2 pointed out on Twitter that Sam James is leaving Sale, now I think he's rumoured off to France, but he's a 13 who covers 12, 10 & 15
He's 29 so I'd presume he's off for a pay day abroad but I'd definitely take him if he's available. His brother Luke is pretty handy in the versatility stakes as well.

Lozowski played wing against us once during an injury crisis and was outstanding. Good player.