Cockers thoughts on the Prem etc

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Cockers thoughts on the Prem etc

Post by Old Hob »

Cockers reminiscing about the good old days- I think he may be having a little tongue in cheek dig.
The Prem lacks "bite".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... dgjz428n2o
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cockers thoughts on the Prem etc

Post by Ian Cant »

An interesting interview which I listened to last night.
Have hardly missed a Tigers v Saints derby match in years I have to agree but maybe that’s because over the last 8 seasons or so with 20 minutes to go the result has been decided. For me some of the other problems is that the atmosphere has been a little ( no a lot) by not having tickets allocated for the away fans in one or two areas!
This season has seen more clubs fighting for the top 4 but how many games have been close until the last few minutes: well quite a few of ours have but recently apart from Newcastle and Quins we’ve lost!
It was good to hear Tom Varndell’s views too.
It is though, hard to compare today’s game with the season when we beat Saints in a very feisty final!
I’d still like to see some of Cockerill’s passion in our present coaches.
Vestry’s interview on the BBC is also an insightful read.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:44 pm I’d still like to see some of Cockerill’s passion in our present coaches.
I couldn't agree more, together with his feistiness and a do "everything" to win attitude.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree with a lot of what he says but I’m not sure if that’s because we’re just not any good now.
There is no fight, no drive, no burning desire. This goes for the crowd too, it dead!
I couldn’t believe last Saturday in a must win game we meekly coughed up a 19 point lead and the capacity crowd just stood and watched it happen! Hardly any cheering or chanting.. willing the team on to defend the line with their lives, just a mild quiet acceptance as if it was inevitable and they didn’t care either way. It was if it was a crowd of neutrals standing there under sufferance, bored by the spectacle before them.
Is that because the game lacks intensity? Is it because the Tiger's are poor and the crowd knows it? Is it because half the tickets were freebies, so they were a bunch of neutrals?
Is it because the laws have changed so fundamentally and TMOs replay a hundred times and the scrum has been de -powered, that all the flash points have gone and the game slowed up so much that no intensity can be maintained for 80 minutes.
Whether it’s the Tigers or the game itself I’m not sure but standing on the terrace, isn’t quite the same buzz as it used to be, not helped by the club or the “rules” preventing us from standing behind the dugouts any more
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If you read you the round ball fans forum they are bemoaning the same thing in regard of fan noise and coming up with all sorts of reasons why - with no real conclusion.

They do seem to think it's a Leicester thing but I suspect it's not.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well it’s not a Leicester thing as Saints’ fans weren’t that loud until Kata got sent off.
Best noise in my experience this season was at The Stoop but I didn’t get to the Gloucester Premiership Cup Final!
But there’s been nothing like the noise from matches like Freddie Tuilagi’s last gasp try v Gloucester or the winning try v Stade by Tom Varndell. In recent times the semi v Northampton was very good too but that was probably the last time Saints’ fans were on the whole grouped together!!!
It would be great to go back to the days when home teams sent an allocation of tickets to the opposition so that more atmosphere could be generated!! On the whole our away support has been terrific this season but it’s very difficult to create lots of noise when we aren’t together in anything more than 6-10 fans!
Still, I’m expecting The Sale fans around us 4 Tigers to be very loud!!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Pellsey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:48 am
Ian Cant wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:44 pm I’d still like to see some of Cockerill’s passion in our present coaches.
I couldn't agree more, together with his feistiness and a do "everything" to win attitude.
Ii couldn’t agree less. Depends what you mean by ‘passion’? Didn’t do Cockers much good in the end, did it?
Was Deano ‘passionate’ and ‘feisty’ as a coach or calm, collected and calculating? What about Mark McCall, one of the most successful prem coaches of recent times, or Rob Baxter? In guess yiu could call Eddie Jones passionate and feisty…

It’’s all just because we’re not doing so well at the moment. And I get it. If we were doing well then we wouldn’t care one jot about the demeanour of our head coach. Screaming and ranting on the sidelines is no guarantee of success. And I’m sure if you go back and look at the reaction to some of Cockers’ bans on this very forum there will be plenty of not so complimentary posts about it all.

He’s still a legend though…
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 pm
Ii couldn’t agree less. Depends what you mean by ‘passion’? Didn’t do Cockers much good in the end, did it?
Was Deano ‘passionate’ and ‘feisty’ as a coach or calm, collected and calculating? What about Mark McCall, one of the most successful prem coaches of recent times, or Rob Baxter? In guess yiu could call Eddie Jones passionate and feisty…

It’’s all just because we’re not doing so well at the moment. And I get it. If we were doing well then we wouldn’t care one jot about the demeanour of our head coach. Screaming and ranting on the sidelines is no guarantee of success. And I’m sure if you go back and look at the reaction to some of Cockers’ bans on this very forum there will be plenty of not so complimentary posts about it all.

Could almost say Borthwick is the polar opposite, few complaints when he did well here!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

My view on DMK (which is obviously not very accurate as I have never met him, and never been in a changing room with him) is that he is very "nice." Cockers has some feistiness, which I think is a good trait in a coach. Cockers had a good record as a Head Coach, less so towards the end, maybe, but overall, pretty good.

I agree, though, that the shouting in public could have been avoided.

Again, this is just my gut feeling, but I bet Mark McCall is not calm behind closed doors... Saracens' success is heavily based on cheating, so I don't think that counts for much.

I think SB and Cockers actually have some similarities - they are both direct and have obvious "bloodee"-mindedness. I also think SB behind closed doors is somewhat different to how he is seen in public, but again this is just a gut feeling.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think Steve Diamond would have brought that passion we need, yes he would be more contoversial but he possibly has the drive we need.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I know from family contacts that players used to dread Baxter being VERY quiet after a game. A quiet word was :smt010
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

LE18 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:22 pm I think Steve Diamond would have brought that passion we need, yes he would be more contoversial but he possibly has the drive we need.
Really? What has he actually achieved, though?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Pellsey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:29 pm

My view on DMK (which is obviously not very accurate as I have never met him, and never been in a changing room with him) is that he is very "nice." Cockers has some feistiness, which I think is a good trait in a coach. Cockers had a good record as a Head Coach, less so towards the end, maybe, but overall, pretty good.

I agree, though, that the shouting in public could have been avoided.

Again, this is just my gut feeling, but I bet Mark McCall is not calm behind closed doors... Saracens' success is heavily based on cheating, so I don't think that counts for much.

I think SB and Cockers actually have some similarities - they are both direct and have obvious "bloodee"-mindedness. I also think SB behind closed doors is somewhat different to how he is seen in public, but again this is just a gut feeling.
Haskell mentioned in his interview with Borthwick the other week that Borthwick liked to give the verbals on the pitch quite a bit. Off camera I'm sure he's quite different to on it.

McKellar speaks very well on camera he's measured and well spoken but he came through playing prop and I doubt very much he's softly spoken in the dressing room. Given how fluidly he speaks on camera I'd bet he's pretty good at letting his feelings known and in some detail.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Steve Diamond the Sam Allardyce of rugby no thanks
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:05 pm Steve Diamond the Sam Allardyce of rugby no thanks
Passionate... yes.

Stranger from the truth...yes.

& that probably applies to both of the aforementioned....pint of wine anyone?
To win is not as important as playing with style!