Black Lions match

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Black Lions match

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:47 pm Presuming options in the backs are limited outside of the First XV, (Potter unknown), but there are some forwards who could/should have played this week George Martin has hardly worn out his 23/24 Tigers Shirt.

Good to see some of the young players but they could do with a couple of "minders"
Six Tigers games for Martin this season. Even so I'd not risk one of our best carriers and best defenders in a meaningless friendly. We're going to need him for the final two games, our chances of victory will fall off a cliff in those final two games if he's not fit.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Is the game being streamed?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

No6_Flanker wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:40 pm Is the game being streamed?
Doubtful. They want as many attendees as possible, they know streaming it may make some decide to stay at home
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

No6_Flanker wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:40 pm Is the game being streamed?
Flushed, might be more accurate.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:16 pm On Monday night, the panel made the point that one of the biggest challenges they face is to bridge the gap between Under 18's and First Team senior rugby, with the gap being so massive. This is something also made tougher without any A League like we all remember. To bridge this gap they want the young lads playing as many games as they can throughout the season.

As a result, they try and get everyone out playing games as much as possible across the different stages of loan deals - Loughborough Students, Leicester Lions and Nottingham, which they do and have done a pretty good job of. I guess Friday night is linked in with that - they just want the young lads playing as much as possible and if that means they all have to go in together, then that means the biggest number of development players get exposure to a step up in physicality as possible.

Personally I would like a couple of "minders" - Dolly, Scott, Wells, Hatherall or Cracknell for example, in there with them. However if it means nearly all the development lads get this exposure, then more lads get that experience quickly or more quicker than having a mix and match approach. I can see and understand the logic and it probably helps them form opinions on as many lads as possible to guide on future decision making.

Looking at the starting pack it's rookie, but there is decent talent there and some already have shown they can mix it:

Whitcombe - first team level, unlucky to not have had more senior game time
FTT - played and looked comfortable at first team level
Richardson - Solid Championship prop
Manz - has played championship rugby, needs this step up in test
Joussain - from the feedback given, strong championship player
Thomas - Impressed with the Under 20's I believe
Illione - impressed in the championship, another one unlucky not to have had more first team exposure
Carnduff - already looks at home at senior level, probably best player for England under 20's

It is rookie, but actually they do all need testing at a higher level to help them, so I can see the logic of throwing them all in and seeing how they go. Just a shame that it seems that Hoyt is injured tbh.

Playing for Randwick 2nd grade in Shute Shield it seems.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:11 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:16 pm On Monday night, the panel made the point that one of the biggest challenges they face is to bridge the gap between Under 18's and First Team senior rugby, with the gap being so massive. This is something also made tougher without any A League like we all remember. To bridge this gap they want the young lads playing as many games as they can throughout the season.

As a result, they try and get everyone out playing games as much as possible across the different stages of loan deals - Loughborough Students, Leicester Lions and Nottingham, which they do and have done a pretty good job of. I guess Friday night is linked in with that - they just want the young lads playing as much as possible and if that means they all have to go in together, then that means the biggest number of development players get exposure to a step up in physicality as possible.

Personally I would like a couple of "minders" - Dolly, Scott, Wells, Hatherall or Cracknell for example, in there with them. However if it means nearly all the development lads get this exposure, then more lads get that experience quickly or more quicker than having a mix and match approach. I can see and understand the logic and it probably helps them form opinions on as many lads as possible to guide on future decision making.

Looking at the starting pack it's rookie, but there is decent talent there and some already have shown they can mix it:

Whitcombe - first team level, unlucky to not have had more senior game time
FTT - played and looked comfortable at first team level
Richardson - Solid Championship prop
Manz - has played championship rugby, needs this step up in test
Joussain - from the feedback given, strong championship player
Thomas - Impressed with the Under 20's I believe
Illione - impressed in the championship, another one unlucky not to have had more first team exposure
Carnduff - already looks at home at senior level, probably best player for England under 20's

It is rookie, but actually they do all need testing at a higher level to help them, so I can see the logic of throwing them all in and seeing how they go. Just a shame that it seems that Hoyt is injured tbh.

Playing for Randwick 2nd grade in Shute Shield it seems.
That is well spotted.

Suspect that with him having spent most of the season injured they have made a call to have him loan out on the off season to hopefully catch up on some of the development he's missed out on...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting it’s Joe Browning is playing for them also. Wonder if the club set him up?
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Loved the Cockers interview on BBC RL this week. Always a straight talker, and not only 'gets' the Tigers DNA but is the embodiment of it. I hope he gets a fantastic reception when he comes back to Welford Road tomorrow. Club legend.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

That's strong.

The centre's are excellent given our selection. Merab Sharikadze is a 100 cap international and terrific 13. Tapladze is a strong runner who played in the RWC. Kveseladze on the bench is classy player. That's Georgia's centres. Which two start changes but the names don't but for injury. Not only that, it's one of Georgia's stronger positions currently.

Matkava is a quality 10 and starting for Georgia ahead of Tedo Abzhandadze now. The latter I actually think is a slightly better player to be honest. Matkava is still a very decent FH though, certainly in the top 2 Georgia have by a distance.

In the back three. Modebadze and Tabutsadze (quality player to watch out for) are more Georgia starters. Whilst Aptsiauri is a well rated player just out of age grade rugby.

In the pack. Tcheisvili is a Georgia starter now and a big unit compared to the kids. Ivanishvili and Zamtaradze were at the RWC. Spandersashvili was starting through REC.

It's going to take something fairly heroic from the 23 we've named just to prevent this being a battering. That Black Lion 23 should just have too much power. Guys like Ilione, Carnduff, Whitcombe and FTT in the forwards will need to step-up. Woodward, Myall and Davies are going to get one hell of an examination in midfield too.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Anyone at the match tonight?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

7-5 up
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Not a bad start! How’s it playing out?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:54 pm Not a bad start! How’s it playing out?
I'm not there only following it on the matchday live. Satala off for a HIA though also.
Theobald-Thomas with our try
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:57 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:54 pm Not a bad start! How’s it playing out?
I'm not there only following it on the matchday live. Satala off for a HIA though also.
Theobald-Thomas with our try
You and me both then! Apologies thought you were there TFS! Sounds like Wilkinson is playing well so far too along with Allan. 🤞🏻