Black Lions match

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Black Lions match

Post by Darc Tiger »

Good to see guys getting an opportunity, but I think this lot are gonna get munched.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RunTigerRun wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:21 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:14 am Honestly as a A team/Prem cup team I wouldn't be upset with that squad at all.
But I was hoping to see more at least 2 more experienced starters and maybe like one on the bench to help guide the team.

Like Cracknell at 8 with Carnduff 6, Shillcock at 15 or 10.
Those 2 starters would make me feel a lot more comfortable TBH.
Agreed - was also hoping someone like Porter and Dolly would get a game to say goodbye kind of thing.

But as you say, what a chance for the youngsters to put their hands up. Looking forward to seeing that 9-10-12-13 combo as that could be a nice balance. By all accounts that centre partnership has the potential to be very good with the right development. Gourlay at 15 has been good in BUCS for Loughborough and more game time for Whitcombe, Ilione, FTT, Vanes etc.

Interesting to see the loan players and whether this indicates they may be looked at for the dev squad next year?
Joussain looks interesting a lot of yellow cards, which I don't think is the worse thing for a lock. As long as he can work on it.
6ft 6, 18.5 stone similar measurements to Martin, 22 years old so could fit the dev squad bill. 12 games in the Pro D2 at dax as a 20/21 year old is a good learning tool as the the forwards in that league are some hard blokes.

Manz and Chessum in the academy are big lads but I do feel that we need a Martin style lock also even if it's one we could development.
Plus point I guess Joussain and Manz have played together for Nottingham also.

Just really not sure on the back row balance at all again.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:14 am Honestly as a A team/Prem cup team I wouldn't be upset with that squad at all.
But I was hoping to see more at least 2 more experienced starters and maybe like one on the bench to help guide the team.

Alot of promising backs
Woodward based on last years U20 and prem cup seems the pick
Myall, Davies and Satala and Kinder have all seemed to have had a impressive season with Lions
Allan, Gourlay and Kinder get good write ups in the students and Threfall is prob the most promising back from this years academy crop.
Just for all the talent in the world experience is so important.
Kinder hasn't played for the Lions this season
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:33 pm

Alot of promising backs
Woodward based on last years U20 and prem cup seems the pick
Myall, Davies and Satala and Kinder have all seemed to have had a impressive season with Lions
Allan, Gourlay and Kinder get good write ups in the students and Threfall is prob the most promising back from this years academy crop.
Just for all the talent in the world experience is so important.
Kinder hasn't played for the Lions this season
Yeah I even put Students as well below, my brain went to sleep.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

I have mixed feelings about this fixture and the team we have selected. I mean no disrespect to the youngsters selected, but against a strong Black Lions team they are likely to get a good hiding, and I do not see how that helps their development, or what we as supporters will get out of it.

This was billed as an additional match with added value for our season ticket holders. Not sure it delivers on that front. I suspect I will be in a minority with this view, but I am going to express it anyway.

We are in an parlours position in the league, our remaining fixtures are fairly academic and I see no real reason to protect first team squad players by leaving them out of this match. Indeed maybe those self same first team players whose lack of performance throughout the season has lead us to this place, should actually step up and give the fans who spend their hard earned cash on season tickets an exhibition and entertain us.

There, I said it! :smt031
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Yorkietiger wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:32 pm I have mixed feelings about this fixture and the team we have selected. I mean no disrespect to the youngsters selected, but against a strong Black Lions team they are likely to get a good hiding, and I do not see how that helps their development, or what we as supporters will get out of it.

This was billed as an additional match with added value for our season ticket holders. Not sure it delivers on that front. I suspect I will be in a minority with this view, but I am going to express it anyway.

We are in an parlours position in the league, our remaining fixtures are fairly academic and I see no real reason to protect first team squad players by leaving them out of this match. Indeed maybe those self same first team players whose lack of performance throughout the season has lead us to this place, should actually step up and give the fans who spend their hard earned cash on season tickets an exhibition and entertain us.

There, I said it! :smt031
I agree completely with this statement seem a real wasted opportunity, and again seems to be taking the fans for granted and what the club provide for the money, i fear this could now end up being quite a low attended fixture with anyone outside the season ticket holders wondering if they want to see an academy team.
I mean I’m all in favour of giving boys a run out, and was looking forward to seeing what players like ilione, Wilkinson could do, but they seem to have been set up to fail, there needed to be some senior squad players mixed in even if only 5/6 squad players, and those who need game time, to help lead and set the standards and show what senior rugby is like.
although as said do the 1st team really need another week rest especially after last the few games I’m sure some would have wanted to get right back into and try and put on a show
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I do wonder what the injury situations are
Don't get why we did updates one week and not since.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:03 pm I do wonder what the injury situations are
Don't get why we did updates one week and not since.
There was an injury list published this last weekend, just not on the team announcement..

EDIT
Not available for selection: Solomone Kata, Joe Heyes, Anthony Watson, Cam Henderson, Harry Simmons
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/pr ... p-r17-2324
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

For me our final two games are important to secure Champions Cub for next season, we need to be 7th if Gloucester win the Challenge Trophy. This is an.opportunity for our coach and us the fans to see some of the young talent available to.us. If our young players do.not play in these matches when do they play? Personally I am excited to see some of these guys, I expect a good game of rugby and maybe a little more pace from the backs than we are currently accustomed to.
Last edited by johnthegriff on Wed May 01, 2024 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

As a Nottingham fan I’m not amused with the inclusion of Joussain. He is our first choice lock, and we have one of our biggest matches of the season against Cornish Pirates this Friday….
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeah which is why I kinda feel like it might be a proper trail for him
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting Joussain was one of the players like Clift who was brought into the Leicester team for pre-season training.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Presuming options in the backs are limited outside of the First XV, (Potter unknown), but there are some forwards who could/should have played this week George Martin has hardly worn out his 23/24 Tigers Shirt.

Good to see some of the young players but they could do with a couple of "minders"
To win is not as important as playing with style!
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

On Monday night, the panel made the point that one of the biggest challenges they face is to bridge the gap between Under 18's and First Team senior rugby, with the gap being so massive. This is something also made tougher without any A League like we all remember. To bridge this gap they want the young lads playing as many games as they can throughout the season.

As a result, they try and get everyone out playing games as much as possible across the different stages of loan deals - Loughborough Students, Leicester Lions and Nottingham, which they do and have done a pretty good job of. I guess Friday night is linked in with that - they just want the young lads playing as much as possible and if that means they all have to go in together, then that means the biggest number of development players get exposure to a step up in physicality as possible.

Personally I would like a couple of "minders" - Dolly, Scott, Wells, Hatherall or Cracknell for example, in there with them. However if it means nearly all the development lads get this exposure, then more lads get that experience quickly or more quicker than having a mix and match approach. I can see and understand the logic and it probably helps them form opinions on as many lads as possible to guide on future decision making.

Looking at the starting pack it's rookie, but there is decent talent there and some already have shown they can mix it:

Whitcombe - first team level, unlucky to not have had more senior game time
FTT - played and looked comfortable at first team level
Richardson - Solid Championship prop
Manz - has played championship rugby, needs this step up in test
Joussain - from the feedback given, strong championship player
Thomas - Impressed with the Under 20's I believe
Illione - impressed in the championship, another one unlucky not to have had more first team exposure
Carnduff - already looks at home at senior level, probably best player for England under 20's

It is rookie, but actually they do all need testing at a higher level to help them, so I can see the logic of throwing them all in and seeing how they go. Just a shame that it seems that Hoyt is injured tbh.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Im fearful for our front row!