Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by Scuttle »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 pm In retrospect I actually thought the first 68 or so minutes was pretty good bar poor red zone efficiency. Performance falling off seems to be a problem.
That was my overriding summary too
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly even after the first try by Bristol I was hopeful.

But as soon as brown was off I just knew that was it.

We responded really well to that try and was so aggressive. But I knew that card was the end of the game
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

The worst thing for me was Lahiff scoring... twice :smt013
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Was at the game and you cannot blame Whitely:
a) Pollard should have done a Ford, Floody or Burns and call for a few more phases to try to get a penalty or at least take the clock down.
b) not Whiteley’s fault we didn’t kill the game when 19-0 up!
c) Brown’s two cards very unfortunate: first one came after a knock on by Bristol but not picked up.
d) the selection by DMK was odd: Carnduff he said was a standout player last week then isn’t in the squad! We need a mobile replacement front row to not only to scrummage but make some yards: FTT has to be trusted or Vanes!
Now I’m looking forward to going to Sale where DMK has to pick players who will be here next season and have Jasper on the bench! Maybe controversial but it will show DMK who really has it in them to be in the starting fifteen next season! Sale and Exeter will both need wins so let’s go out full of desire and tactical nouse.
And please Tigers: take some 3s to build a score!
e) Fitness is a huge concern: most of the players have had plenty of rest periods this season.

Finally, huge well done to Bristol and particularly Harry Thacker!
Well done Genge too: at one point I thought he might get carded but then kept control!
filfinger

Post by filfinger »

Disappointing game. Not a disaster - we were the better team for much of the game but failed to covert pressure to points a symptom of this season. Then brain fart moments in the last quarter of the game cost us the match. What was happening with Pollard and Kelly - who was running the back line? Strange stuff hope it is better next season. This has been a difficult season with limited games and big gaps between games - need better value for money and coaches that step up. Season ticket looks, expensive!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 pm Was at the game and you cannot blame Whitely:
a) Pollard should have done a Ford, Floody or Burns and call for a few more phases to try to get a penalty or at least take the clock down.
c) Brown’s two cards very unfortunate: first one came after a knock on by Bristol but not picked up.
d) the selection by DMK was odd: Carnduff he said was a standout player last week then isn’t in the squad! We need a mobile replacement front row to not only to scrummage but make some yards: FTT has to be trusted or Vanes!
Now I’m looking forward to going to Sale where DMK has to pick players who will be here next season and have Jasper on the bench! Maybe controversial but it will show DMK who really has it in them to be in the starting fifteen next season! Sale and Exeter will both need wins so let’s go out full of desire and tactical nouse.
e) Fitness is a huge concern: most of the players have had plenty of rest periods this season.

Well done Genge too: at one point I thought he might get carded but then kept control!
So was I and I could sense we were going to lose the game as we became headless chickens . But I never ever thought we would lose by choosing to kick the ball away to the opposition with 2 mins to go.
Last edited by sapajo on Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 pm Was at the game and you cannot blame Whitely:

I’m sorry you can blame him though.
Unless someone told him to do it
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

filfinger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 pm Disappointing game. Not a disaster - we were the better team for much of the game but failed to covert pressure to points a symptom of this season. Then brain fart moments in the last quarter of the game cost us the match. What was happening with Pollard and Kelly - who was running the back line? Strange stuff hope it is better next season. This has been a difficult season with limited games and big gaps between games - need better value for money and coaches that step up. Season ticket looks, expensive!
Losing a game by shipping some 21 points in the final 10 mins is a disaster in my book
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Gutted, ... We apparently are spending up to the cap, have released a number of players mid season without replacements, have had a number of injuries in the same position, had a comparatively weak bench.....and couldn't hold on at the end. Surely we could have brought in someone on a short term deal?

It felt like leadership was missing once Julian went off. I think he and jvp came off too soon. Its a tough league. Struggling for any real positives...
tripeandonions
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by tripeandonions »

There was a similar situation, I'm pretty sure it was this season, when Ben Youngs shaped to box-kick to a loud chorus of "don't kick it" - and he did, and on that occasion they just got away with it.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Bristol were awful for 65 minutes, gave us so much attacking ball by trying to run from their own line, and we should have been 40 points up, not 19.

Discipline has cost us again, as has lack of accuracy in attack.

We managed to make Lahiff look like a good player. That's quite an astounding achievement.

Are we not fit enough? Is our bench too weak? Hard to know, but losing to Bristol at home, after being 19-0 up, just isn't really good enough.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Since Aled went to England we have become a weak Team in the last 20.

Those will have a memory will recall how we were once a team who, if they were close in the last 20 we could expect to win,

Cockers didn't feel we needed a fitness coach and we became average...
Deja vu?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Regrettably I have seen nothing recently to suggest that under this coach we will improve. Witness the same comments by supporters after every game. I don't blame the players. The way they play is an indication of how they are being coached - not very well from what I can see.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

How many times this season have we lost from a winning position by kicking the ball away in the last 5 mins?

I’m sure at least one other game was lost like this. It’s concerning we aren’t learning the lesson.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:27 am Regrettably I have seen nothing recently to suggest that under this coach we will improve. Witness the same comments by supporters after every game. I don't blame the players. The way they play is an indication of how they are being coached - not very well from what I can see.
I’m sorry but how can you not place some blame at the players?

Did Mike Brown get coached to give a dumbass penalty because he was :censored: off the ref missed a clear knock on that lead to the first YC?

Like it’s takes a team effort to lose a game in that style