Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by WhitecapTiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm The biggest gripe with the Mike Brown take is that I see Jasper get hit like that 10 times a game. But no punishment is given because he’s a hard git.

The end result shouldn’t be a determining play. It needs to be reffed equally
100% this
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 pm
No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:29 pmAs ever, many people are fixating on the last 10 (or even last 2) minutes.
Today the last 10, or 2, are so standout they deserve the focus IMO.

To compare to football, if a goalkeeper makes 5 fines saves and keeps a team in the game but drops a monumental clanger in the last minute and they lose 1-0 no-one remembers the earlier saves - even though without them the game was long gone - they may not be given due credit until long after the dust has settled. Such is the nature of sport.

It could be said that the earlier possession and pressure we had that wasn’t fully exploited (maybe) was wasted possession and pressure. In the long run there are slight glimmers of hope popping through that some things can come together and be better in future but in the here and now…....
Agreed, we deal in results, not performances. But let’s not overreact. People have been asking for progress, and this represented progress for me. Fitness is an easy fix, so let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. Let’s build on this.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

What was better?
Handling - fewer passes went behind/ over/ into touch.
Cohesion - The defensive structure held together really well for 70 minutes

What was worse/the same?
We were mauling them to bits on their 5m line while they were playing 7s scoring opportunities going amiss
Decision making. Yes, 5 points would have been ideal but 4 would have done. All those penalties and not one popped over for 3 to make them really chase the game and give us a better cushion - this was more relevant given the missed conversion. And so it proved.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There are times when you wonder what we are trying to achieve, where has that playing for 80 minutes mentality gone?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 pm What was better?
Handling - fewer passes went behind/ over/ into touch.
Cohesion - The defensive structure held together really well for 70 minutes

What was worse/the same?
We were mauling them to bits on their 5m line while they were playing 7s scoring opportunities going amiss
Decision making. Yes, 5 points would have been ideal but 4 would have done. All those penalties and not one popped over for 3 to make them really chase the game and give us a better cushion - this was more relevant given the missed conversion. And so it proved.
We are so fixated on our rolling maul so e very time we get a penalty in the 22 or just outside we kick to touch rather than taking the 3
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
telboy1309

Post by telboy1309 »

Brown's two yellow cards cost us a lot today and with his experience he should know better.
Yellow 1 - Brown needs to shut up and get on with the game
Yellow card 2 - Poor tackle.

Other issues - Bench weak....
Martin and JVP clearly still not up to match speed.
Chessum - Outstanding - Best second row in the country at the the moment on my opinion.
Attack coach - Cannot go most of season without one.

Focus now on next season when a full coahing team have to deliver.
Finally we have to take the referee out of the equation.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm The biggest gripe with the Mike Brown take is that I see Jasper get hit like that 10 times a game. But no punishment is given because he’s a hard git.

It does feel a bit like reffing the outcome as opposed to the incident. Had van Rensburg not needed to go off for a HIA would it ever have been reviewed? I think not.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Just back from the game, very disappointed, there simply is no excuse for loosing a game from 19-0 up with 12 minutes to go.

Replacements just not up to the task, especially Whitely, kicking possession away with two minutes to go, unforgivable.

What should we have done? Well in the olden days the forwards would have ‘stuck it up their jumper’ for the last two minutes and we’d have won the game! It used to work back then and it would have today.

On top of that the same old issues haunt us: red zone efficiency (or lack thereof), failing to keep fifteen on the field for the whole game, running out of gas with a substandard bench.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 pm

Van Rensenburg milked that penalty to perfection and acted like he had been shot in the head until Carley came over to see him
He left the field for a HIA. I'm not sure he was milking it. He stayed down for a while whilst his team was under pressure.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 pm

Mckellar did say post match that he would be having words with Whiteley as it was the players decision,
That sums it up then. Happens a lot, we gift possession back to a dangerous side in the final stages. Not good enough decision making at this level. And Edwards has just been let go!
Whether it sums it up or not, a Head Coach chucking players under the bus is not a good thing in my book. To be fair, didn’t see or hear the interview so missing context but those kind of things should be handled behind closed doors IMO, even if the cover phrase of “we’ll discuss it within the group” implies the same thing when reading between lines.

Agree with your points though OakhamTiger32
McKellar is normally very good in front of the media so this probably speaks to his level of frustration. His tactics had the game under control and that won't have been what he wanted to see with 2 mins to go.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Why did JvP come off????

He didn’t look tired we have played Youngs for 70-80 mins before

I don’t why we made so many subs earlier than Bristol?

Front row could have stayed an extra 10 mins
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 pm Even taking away the way we player McKeller management selection is worrying, I just don’t think he gets how important impact is off the bench.
This was criticism levelled at Cockers, O'connor and Murphy. I don't remember it being too much of an issue under Borthwick, but maybe that's because we won.

A lot of the issues, poor selection, poor game management, inability to play for 80 minutes has been a consistent at Tigers since probably 2013. Its almost Tigers D.N.A at this point.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 pm Why did JvP come off????

He didn’t look tired we have played Youngs for 70-80 mins before

I don’t why we made so many subs earlier than Bristol?

Front row could have stayed an extra 10 mins
Totally agree! Seems to me Mckellar decided we had already won the game and brought on the dross and it was a massive misjudgement
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Can I just say

Whiteley, rightly is getting some criticism on his performance.

He is (not on here ) getting abuse to go with criticism. That is NOT acceptable.

He got in a shouting match with someone post match and invited the person to come say it to his face.

I'm sorry as gutted as we are in the result we cannot and must not abuse our players!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

:smt040
Yorkietiger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:56 pm Just back from the game, very disappointed, there simply is no excuse for loosing a game from 19-0 up with 12 minutes to go.

Replacements just not up to the task, especially Whitely, kicking possession away with two minutes to go, unforgivable.

What should we have done? Well in the olden days the forwards would have ‘stuck it up their jumper’ for the last two minutes and we’d have won the game! It used to work back then and it would have today.

On top of that the same old issues haunt us: red zone efficiency (or lack thereof), failing to keep fifteen on the field for the whole game, running out of gas with a substandard bench.
Agree with every word. Needed to keep the front row on for another 10, taking us to 68 mins. The Brown tackle was a wrap, and tbh even with replays, couldn't see the card. What got me shouting Noooooo along with everyone around me was the stupid box kick. In Cockers era Whiteley would never played another game and been released at the end of the season Have none of these modern players played at lower levels or ever heard how to last out 90 secs? UP THE JUMPER!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.