Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by No6_Flanker »

Regarding Hodge, the last two games I’ve watched him play for Exeter and England A, I lost count of the number of times he decided not to pass to a teammate in a better position and instead go into contact on his own. :smt018
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Matthew Carley is the man in the middle for Leicester Tigers’ clash with Bristol Bears, alongside assistant’s Jack Makepeace and Simon Harding. Rowan Kitt is the TMO for that game.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

Totally agree. It wasn't so long ago that everyone, critics included were saying Freddie was world class and the 1st name on the England team sheet. He hasn't lost that class because he's missed 2 6N games and made a couple of poor passes. He may have lost a bit of confidence because people keep slagging him off but that will come back as we improve as a team. He's a great fullback.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:55 pm Regarding Hodge, the last two games I’ve watched him play for Exeter and England A, I lost count of the number of times he decided not to pass to a teammate in a better position and instead go into contact on his own. :smt018
Noticed that looks like he brought too much into his own wonder try hype.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Re: suggestions about moving Freddie into the centres... the other option available to DMK is moving Handré to #12. In his last season for Montpellier, he started outside Garbisi more often than as the fly-half himself. That would allow us to get another ball player into the team. The challenge is, the depth chart at #10 is, well, shallow.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://archive.ph/untyj

Freddie himself in an interview says he's focusing on the back 3 not thinking about switching to 12
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

12 months ago, Freddie Steward was the best full-back in the world. He was so good in fact, that teams changed how they played to nullify his threat. The game evolved and now Freddie does too. He may not have the pace, Scott Hamilton never did, but his stride makes up for that, and actually, if teams are now kicking towards the wings, just put him there.

We have such a well balanced back three - Steward, Brown, Shilcock, Hassel-Collins, Simmons, Watson, Basset, you could literally pick any 3 of those and have a back 3 that could do a job, pending game plan. Yes, pace is lacking but I still believe OHC will look much better once Hewat comes in.

The experiment of Steward at 12 excites me. I think he'd be really good there, however, you are taking him away from his biggest strength, you don't tend to expect your 12 to take high balls.

The game has evolved, and Steward will take time to adapt, but he will. Dan Cole, for example, was written off when the scrummaging laws changed, at 36 he is probably the best scrummaging tight-head in world rugby.

Form temporary, class permanent.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Hoping for something decent on Saturday as taking my footie mad eldest grandkids to the match. :smt001 My only upset is Gelato Village being closed for refurbishment after the match - I was hoping to avoid the now inevitable McDonalds.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/adamjwhitty/status/ ... tEITg&s=19

McKellar says we'll hopefully have Martin in selection consideration this week
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 pm 12 months ago, Freddie Steward was the best full-back in the world. He was so good in fact, that teams changed how they played to nullify his threat. The game evolved and now Freddie does too. He may not have the pace, Scott Hamilton never did, but his stride makes up for that, and actually, if teams are now kicking towards the wings, just put him there.

We have such a well balanced back three - Steward, Brown, Shilcock, Hassel-Collins, Simmons, Watson, Basset, you could literally pick any 3 of those and have a back 3 that could do a job, pending game plan. Yes, pace is lacking but I still believe OHC will look much better once Hewat comes in.

The experiment of Steward at 12 excites me. I think he'd be really good there, however, you are taking him away from his biggest strength, you don't tend to expect your 12 to take high balls.

The game has evolved, and Steward will take time to adapt, but he will. Dan Cole, for example, was written off when the scrummaging laws changed, at 36 he is probably the best scrummaging tight-head in world rugby.

Saints switching Freeman to 12 worked like a dream and I always see him as a very similar player to Freddie
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Re the grandkids .. take them to Peters Pizza .. best in town .. far superior to Maccies close to ground AND discount for match ticket and season tickets holders!!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am
No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:55 pm Regarding Hodge, the last two games I’ve watched him play for Exeter and England A, I lost count of the number of times he decided not to pass to a teammate in a better position and instead go into contact on his own. :smt018
Noticed that looks like he brought too much into his own wonder try hype.
I think Hodge was in a really good place but the injury has set him back and it will take time to rediscover that early season form.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 pm 12 months ago, Freddie Steward was the best full-back in the world. He was so good in fact, that teams changed how they played to nullify his threat. The game evolved and now Freddie does too. He may not have the pace, Scott Hamilton never did, but his stride makes up for that, and actually, if teams are now kicking towards the wings, just put him there.

Agree with all of the above. All the noise around Steward has been from the media and fans. All it takes is a positional change or being left out and suddenly the world has ended and there has to be a catastrophic reason why. I'm sure Borthwick and the England coaching staff have handled it well and he's not lost any confidence. Same at club level, block out the rubbish around him not being good enough, fast enough or "could he move to centre" and just keep your head down, which is what he's doing.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Decent interview with Joe Heyes on the Rolling Maul podcast. Interesting how dramatic we all are after the loss at Saints (can you imagine how the players would be if they reacted in a similar fashion), whereas the staff/players are focusing on that first half, where we nullified their attack and implemented the game plan perfectly. For one reason or another we couldn't keep it up, discipline etc, but the focus is on the game plan for the full 80 tomorrow. I believe !
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

STARTING XV

15 Freddie Steward [85]
14 Mike Brown [25]
13 Matt Scott [77]
12 Dan Kelly [78]
11 Ollie Hassell-Collins [19]
10 Handré Pollard [30]
9 Jack van Poortvliet [70]

1 James Cronin [32]
2 Julián Montoya [57]

3 Dan Cole [320]
4 George Martin [63]
5 Ollie Chessum [55]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [104]
7 Tommy Reffell [111]
8 Jasper Wiese [76]

REPLACEMENTS

16 Charlie Clare [92]
17 Francois van Wyk [51]
18 Will Hurd [40]
19 Harry Wells [196]
20 Olly Cracknell [40]
21 Tom Whiteley [27]
22 Jamie Shillcock [25]
23 Phil Cokanasiga [17]
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!