LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sam16111986 »

fentiger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:54 pm I would hope with a new attack coach we can build a style to suit the strengths of our players ie: Freddie at 15 etc and enable those players to play to their strengths.
To be fair Freddie on the wing is only happening because we've got four or five wingers out injured but three fit fullbacks.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tigers86asw »

It is all about the coaching.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:55 pm
fentiger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:54 pm I would hope with a new attack coach we can build a style to suit the strengths of our players ie: Freddie at 15 etc and enable those players to play to their strengths.
To be fair Freddie on the wing is only happening because we've got four or five wingers out injured but three fit fullbacks.
Indeed, however I'm just afraid of him slipping down the order both for club and country!
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

fentiger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:09 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:55 pm
Indeed, however I'm just afraid of him slipping down the order both for club and country!
You could say he's done it to himself. Face it teams have changed how they play because he is so good under the high ball, the all blacks started it when they changed their whole game because of Fred.

Wingers now recieve the high ball not the full back, so work on his speed, or even his off load and either stick to wing or go centre? He's only going to get better and change the game?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Nathan Hughes plays for the Black Rams where Hewat is coming from. He may not be a perfect player but he can get over the gain line. Tigers could really do with more forwards who can do that.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 am Nathan Hughes plays for the Black Rams where Hewat is coming from. He may not be a perfect player but he can get over the gain line. Tigers could really do with more forwards who can do that.
I’d take Amato Fakatava.. big ball carrier who can play 5 and 8 who impressed at the RWC last year.

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023/news ... 023-review
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Apparently talk that the Prem clubs have agreed to the squad limit aspect of the PGP agreement
Which was reported 35 senior players and 12 Senior academy players.

Might explain the rumours of why the likes of Edwards, Cusick, Koroyardi, Meredith are off.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:20 am Apparently talk that the Prem clubs have agreed to the squad limit aspect of the PGP agreement

Might explain the rumours of why the likes of Edwards, Cusick, Koroyardi, Meredith are off.
Ok so I just counted our squad (minus the leavers announced and adding our new signings...

34 - senior squad (and we need a centre so can't just promote Vanes or anyone into that slot to keep more Academy guys)

29 - senior academy squad

That's a lot of our senior academy gone...

Is that including dual registered players, like if we get a season long loan for them does that count against us?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:20 am Apparently talk that the Prem clubs have agreed to the squad limit aspect of the PGP agreement

Ok so I just counted our squad (minus the leavers announced and adding our new signings...

34 - senior squad (and we need a centre so can't just promote Vanes or anyone into that slot to keep more Academy guys)

Is that including dual registered players, like if we get a season long loan for them does that count against us?
I count 33 in the senior and 30 in the dev squad (Guessing FTT is the difference between us)

No idea, honestly it's just whispers that it's something agreed upon. It might not even be for this season but the season after if true. But clubs starting to trim the academies now.
Both Bristol and Bath only brought in 4 players each this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are loopholes involved Uni's and Loans that clubs will find. IF true
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:03 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

I count 33 in the senior and 30 in the dev squad (Guessing FTT is the difference between us)

No idea, honestly it's just whispers that it's something agreed upon. It might not even be for this season but the season after if true. But clubs starting to trim the academies now.
Both Bristol and Bath only brought in 4 players each this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are loopholes involved Uni's and Loans that clubs will find. IF true
Yep I have FTT in the senior squad, but yeah, would make sense to not be next season, but could see it as advanced planning...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

What's the logic of reducing senior academy sizes so drastically?

To force them to Championship clubs and make the second division stronger?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 am What's the logic of reducing senior academy sizes so drastically?

To force them to Championship clubs and make the second division stronger?
I think that's the logic. I guess potential strengthen the championship development options like what happened with Chester Owen. Less "Hoarding" so clubs are force to keep players they intend to play and develop.
Let's say Tigers keep AVDF, Miell, FTT, Vanes, Hoyt, L.Chessum, Carnduff, J.Manz, Allen, Woodward, Myall, Satala, Kinder
Would mean that championship squads could potentially try and sign
Hooker: Clarke, Smith,
Tighthead: Crane, Mountford
Locks: T.Manz, Thomas
Openside: Beddall, Perkins
Number 8: Koroiyadi, Williams
Scrum Half: Edwards
Fly Half: Meredith, Daniels,
Centre: Cusick, Davies,
Full Back: Gourlay
Now times this by 9 other prem clubs nearly and it's potentially like 100 young players available to the new Champ 2 teams. Reality is the best players who can qualify for other countries will prob leave to those URC teams (Like Beddall and O.Thomas)

Again this is all just whispers that it's something agreed upon. Personally 12 is a stupid amount and it should at least be 15 more like IMO 18 (A full XV plus extra front row)

Long term it will be interesting what it means though cause I don't see the point of expanding existing academy catchments when such a restriction could go into place. Unless long term aim is for the Champ 2 to have their own academy areas again
Like Nottingham, Coventry etc to expand their current academies.

Who knows the whole PGP agreement thingy sounds like a complete mess anyway.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Speak of the devil
Leicester Tigers Senior Academy 2023/2024 Farewells
Jacob Cusick, Tiger #2361
Oliver Crane, Tiger #2417
Sam Edwards, Tiger #2363
Morgan Meredith, Tiger #2370
Simon Koroiyadi, Tiger #2371

Some good talent in there
Cusick, Edwards, Meredith especially prob backs that could've been developed more.
Interesting no Tom Manz

Not as many as I feared though.
Last edited by RagingBull on Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So squads for next season so far
Senior Players:
LH: Cronin, Smith, Whitcombe, (Miell, Van Der Flier)
Hooker: Clare, Montoya, (FTT, Vanes)
Props: Cole, Heyes, Hurd, (Hoyt, Mountford)
Locks: O.Chessum, Henderson, Martin, Wells, (L.Chessum, T.Manz, O.Thomas)
Blindside: Liebenberg, Rogerson (Carnduff, J.Manz)
Openside: Reffell, (Ilione, Beddall, Perkins)
Number 8: Hatherall, Cracknell, Beets, (Williams)
Scrum Half: van Poortvliet, Whiteley, Youngs (Allen)
Fly Half: Pollard, Shillcock, Wilkinson (Daniels)
I Centre: Kata, Kelly, (Woodward, Myall)
O Centre: Perese (Davies)
Winger: Bassett, Hassell-Collins, Simmons, Watson (Kinder, Salata)
Full Back: Brown, Steward (Gourlay)

Woodward, Myall and Davies are a interesting trio Myall and Davies def doing well for the Lions this season from what I hear

In the press release interesting things
Koroyardi and Crane are consider graduates, Meredith and Cusick labelled as " finishing up their time in Tigers’ pathways programme" and Sam Edwards granted early release.
"With squad sizes decreasing and opportunities for game time in a Tigers shirt diminishing over recent years we felt it was right for the lads to continue their rugby careers in new environments."
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It is a failure of the system that cannot find game time for players beyond the age of eighteen. Obviously young players need games to continue development and equally obviously they have to be ready to move on to create space for the next year group. Why on earth is it beyond the ability of the RFU or the Premiership.to create an under 23 league, an allowance for a limited number of over age players to participate would help injury returnees to get some game time whilst the young would benefit from p!aying with more experienced p!ayers.
Dual registration with lower league clubs does not always work as the senior clubs occasional usage of the young players just disrupts the other teams selection and unity.