Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by westwinds31 »

Radio silence on George Martin still. Given his prolonged absence I reckon we won't see him again this season, sadly.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I hope we do show some pragmatism for once in selection this season and give some younger players a go. Doesn’t necessarily mean we have to put out a weakened team - but it gives invaluable experience to those that might be mainstays in the future. Assuming Martin isn’t fit I’d go for.

Whitecombe Montoya Heyes
Wells Chessum
Carnduff Wiese Liebenberg
JVP Pollard
Kelly Scott
OHC Steward Basset

FTT Cronin Hurd Hatherell Illione Whiteley Shilcock Brown
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm Radio silence on George Martin still. Given his prolonged absence I reckon we won't see him again this season, sadly.
The "hint" on RL was he was very close for the Saints game...think at present he had played for England more than Tigers this season.
Certainly shouldn't be going on tour in the Summer.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:36 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm Radio silence on George Martin still. Given his prolonged absence I reckon we won't see him again this season, sadly.
The "hint" on RL was he was very close for the Saints game...think at present he had played for England more than Tigers this season.
Certainly shouldn't be going on tour in the Summer.
Not saying this about anyone specific and it is more of a general point but I get the feeling now that, as far as the regular selections are concerned, we are entering a generation of players that see themselves as England players who happen to play for a club rather than club players who have been selected by England. The transition to the cricket model of international selection is nearly complete.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

If I'd been paying more attention in Biology A level, I'd be tempted to clone Mike Brown. I wouldn't expect him and his clones to play in positions 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, and possibly not 8 and 9. Given all the criticsm on here of the other players in recent weeks, he'd probably make a better fist of it at 6. 7. 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 & 15.

But, to be serious, I wonder if they're prioritising strength / physicality over pace / skills / speed of thought etc in training? Bristol appear to be at the opposite end of this spectrum to Tigers so this match should be fascinating.

George Martin appears to have added some bulk since he moved from flanker to second row - could that be adding to his risk of injury? Also, I seem to recall a former centre having more power than the rest of his body could withstand.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Not a jock wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:31 pm George Martin appears to have added some bulk since he moved from flanker to second row - could that be adding to his risk of injury?
If it's a knee injury then George has had no luck with those so far in his career.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I agree about George Martin not going on tour with England as he needs a Summer to have a decent preseason! Trouble is, along with Earle, Borthwick sees George as the main enforcer! Sadly George was injured before half time v France but still played after half time!
As for Bristol: for me it’s a must win game for lots of reasons:
it’s at home and we played poorly v Gloucester
it’s almost a sell out
3 wins could be enough to get top 4
we were incredibly poor in the away game v Bristol
Lastly, “We are Tigers and we hate losing! “
Gloucester twice, Leinster and Saints losses and a lucky win v Newcastle would make me as a player hungry to prove we aren’t as bad as the media say we are.So go as strong as we can.
We fans too have to turn up. I might be wrong but when I looked around Franklins’ Gardens I couldn’t see the usual hordes that support Tigers away from home but maybe I’m wrong!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Would like to see Woodward has to offer. Give the lad a few games to show what he has got.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Postiger2 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:37 pm Would like to see Woodward has to offer. Give the lad a few games to show what he has got.
I'd rather we introduced him into a settled side rather than a make shift team.

It's hard to predict the starting line up when we don't know whether any of Heyes, Martin, Reffell, Bassett, Porter and Liebenburg are going to return from injury.

Something like:

Cronin, Montoya, Cole
Martin/Hatherall, Chessum
Liebenburg/Carnduff, Weise, Reffell/Ilione
JvP, Pollard
Kelly, Scott
OHC, Steward, Bassett/Porter/Brown

Clare, Whitcombe, Heyes/Hurd, Wells/Carnduff, Hatherall/Ilione/Cracknell, Youngs, Shillcock, whomever is left standing in the backs

:smt044

If Martin isn't fit I'd start Hatherall over Wells to try and give us some more mobility up front, particularly if Reffell isn't fit then having the ability to keep up with the tempo Bristol will try and set will be important.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I agree that there are a number of reasons we should go full bore for this one.

If by the time we play Sharks we are out of top 4 but safely in Champions Cup then let's focus on blooding people for next season.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:58 am I agree that there are a number of reasons we should go full bore for this one.

If by the time we play Sharks we are out of top 4 but safely in Champions Cup then let's focus on blooding people for next season.
Games at Welford Road should always be full bore, for pride if nothing else.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Time to try players in roles where they might be needed next season for my money. I'm thinking:

- Ilione at 7. We direly need a jackal threat when Tommy isn't playing.
- Cracknell at 6. It was his best position at LI where he was well suited to back rows with multiple all-rounders rather than standout jackal or carriers. With Wiese going, Hanro potentially playing 8 and very all-rounder heavy looking back row options for next season, it would be useful to utilise.
- Start Whitcombe with Montoya and get him carrying more. We need carriers, Whitcombe has the size to get over the gain line.
- Steward at centre. Get the firing squad ready.
- FTT as bench hooker. He's very dynamic, could be an impactful bench option. The bench has often been limp this season.
- Hatherell at lock with Chess if Martin isn't available. Hatherell offers closer to what Martin does than the other replacements. Whilst Wells has largely been ineffectual this season, sadly.

1.Whitcombe 2.Montoya 3.Cole 4.Hatherell 5.Chessum 6.Cracknell 7.Ilione 8.Hanro
9.JvP 10.Pollard 11.OHC 12.Steward 13.Scott 14.Brown 15.Shillcock

16.FTT 17.Cronin 18.Heyes 19.Carnduff 20.Wiese 21.Whiteley 22.Kelly 23.*Whoever's fit*

I wouldn't mind seeing one of the dev squad backs on the bench.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 pm Games at Welford Road should always be full bore, for pride if nothing else.
I've changed my tune a bit and agree with this. Having said that, even if we do beat Bristol at the weekend, I don't think our position in the league will change. Sale will beat Newcastle, and I think Exeter will beat Gloucs, although that is our one hope of moving up a position.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ads wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:34 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 pm Games at Welford Road should always be full bore, for pride if nothing else.
I've changed my tune a bit and agree with this. Having said that, even if we do beat Bristol at the weekend, I don't think our position in the league will change. Sale will beat Newcastle, and I think Exeter will beat Gloucs, although that is our one hope of moving up a position.
True we may not move above Sale or Exeter, but we will have it in our hands to move above them when we play them.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

ABClub wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 pm Time to try players in roles where they might be needed next season for my money. I'm thinking:

- Ilione at 7. We direly need a jackal threat when Tommy isn't playing.
- Cracknell at 6. It was his best position at LI where he was well suited to back rows with multiple all-rounders rather than standout jackal or carriers. With Wiese going, Hanro potentially playing 8 and very all-rounder heavy looking back row options for next season, it would be useful to utilise.
- Start Whitcombe with Montoya and get him carrying more. We need carriers, Whitcombe has the size to get over the gain line.
- Steward at centre. Get the firing squad ready.
- FTT as bench hooker. He's very dynamic, could be an impactful bench option. The bench has often been limp this season.
- Hatherell at lock with Chess if Martin isn't available. Hatherell offers closer to what Martin does than the other replacements. Whilst Wells has largely been ineffectual this season, sadly.

1.Whitcombe 2.Montoya 3.Cole 4.Hatherell 5.Chessum 6.Cracknell 7.Ilione 8.Hanro
9.JvP 10.Pollard 11.OHC 12.Steward 13.Scott 14.Brown 15.Shillcock

16.FTT 17.Cronin 18.Heyes 19.Carnduff 20.Wiese 21.Whiteley 22.Kelly 23.*Whoever's fit*

I wouldn't mind seeing one of the dev squad backs on the bench.
Like the ideas here but would have DK at 12 and Freddie at 13.