Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints (A) - Premiership - Saturday 20th April 2024 - KO: 15-05

Post by Big Dai »

Lutontiger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:36 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:22 pm
Lutontiger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:53 pm Had a chuckle at the ‘severe wire brushing’ but have to agree - might it be, to do a misquote - ‘tigers led by donkeys’?
I thought that was a standard expression? Removing rust and corrosion? 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I just pictured the coaches being given the brushing as a punishment - I just feel so many of today’s issues, such as the discipline are down to the coaches not the players but it seems the players are taking most of the blame.
Now there's a thought! :smt002 :smt002
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Yorkietiger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:20 pm Not the Head Coach’s fault…..mmmmm….. not sure I agree.

Whatever the issues are, and let’s be honest, there are quite a few, eg no attack coach, poor player engagement, poor levels of fitness, no nous and guile with very predictable play, lack of discipline, to name just a few. The responsibility for those things ultimately sits with the senior leadership, ie the Head Coach.
Apart from the lack of attack coach aren't these the same issues we had with the last Australian coach we had?

Just asking.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

McKellar should definitely stay. We need the continuity abs he needs time.

That doesn’t meant today wasn’t his fault- it was.

It also doesn’t mean he gets a free ride he doesn’t. Issue h has is that Tigers don’t seem to be getting any better and since the mid season break we’ve been poor. Much easier sell if you start very poorly and then get better, that’s not the case at all with Tigers.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

I don't agree with posters saying that the yellow cards cost Tigers the match due to numerical mismatches. Saints also had two so cancel out the Tigers' cards. Obviously the red card made some difference but I'd argue the main difference was how the team with 15 used their numerical advantage over the team with 14 during the yellow card periods.

On a different issue, some national and club coaches have evidently been spending too much time at the cobblers as they seem to have picked up a plenty of shoehorns. These are being used to play people out of their best position. Some players make better utility players than others. Contrast for example, a certain diminutive commentator and the former England 15 now stuck on the wing. Another example, assuming Cole and Heyes are Tigers' best props - would you play Heyes at loosehead just to get him in the starting 15? No. The best team is often not the best 15 playing together (remember the disastrous England attempt at playing three 8s in the backrow many years ago? If Tommy Turnover isn't vailable then the next best 7 in the club needs to play, regardless of where he sits in the overall pecking order. Freddie needs to be 15 or not in the match day squad. Stop aping Borthwick.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Not a jock wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:04 pm I don't agree with posters saying that the yellow cards cost Tigers the match due to numerical mismatches. Saints also had two so cancel out the Tigers' cards. Obviously the red card made some difference but I'd argue the main difference was how the team with 15 used their numerical advantage over the team with 14 during the yellow card periods.

On a different issue, some national and club coaches have evidently been spending too much time at the cobblers as they seem to have picked up a plenty of shoehorns. These are being used to play people out of their best position. Some players make better utility players than others. Contrast for example, a certain diminutive commentator and the former England 15 now stuck on the wing. Another example, assuming Cole and Heyes are Tigers' best props - would you play Heyes at loosehead just to get him in the starting 15? No. The best team is often not the best 15 playing together (remember the disastrous England attempt at playing three 8s in the backrow many years ago? If Tommy Turnover isn't vailable then the next best 7 in the club needs to play, regardless of where he sits in the overall pecking order. Freddie needs to be 15 or not in the match day squad. Stop aping Borthwick.
I completely agree about Freddie. If you have an international fly half at club level- who has won two WC- then why move Freddie?

Symptom of no clear attacking plan and Pollard not being up to it.

Don’t remember this issue with Ford?
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Quote " Symptom of no clear attacking plan and Pollard not being up to it."

For S Africa's two most recent RWC wins, other than being their most reliable place kicker, what else did Pollard contribute?
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:18 pm We were not as bad as people are making out. We went in at HT winning and looked good in parts - especially the forwards. Although scrum was worrying.

Discipline was a massive issue. Cost us the game alongside poor finishing. Kata needs to trust the players around him and not rush out / high tackle.

OHC is a quality finisher if given space. Something he’s not really had to work in this season.

People saying we’ll miss Wiese. It’s not like he made that many big carries and give away silly penalties too.
Not sure how we separate discipline and overall performance- overall Perlman e was bad as was discipline, they go hand in hand
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Yorkietiger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:20 pm Not the Head Coach’s fault…..mmmmm….. not sure I agree.

Whatever the issues are, and let’s be honest, there are quite a few, eg no attack coach, poor player engagement, poor levels of fitness, no nous and guile with very predictable play, lack of discipline, to name just a few. The responsibility for those things ultimately sits with the senior leadership, ie the Head Coach.

The Head Coach is responsible for delivery on the pitch, and if there are shortcomings of any kind, then they need to address them. I remain to be convinced about DMK, I have yet to see any evidence that he has what it takes to revive our fortunes.
Agree but not sure he came in to revive our fortunes, 1st and 3rd last 2 seasons - need DM to kick us on and I, don’t believe he is up to it.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:03 pm Cannot wait for the post match weazel words from Mckellar he needs to finally get a grip of this squad and the abundant issues that are their for every one can see it's a season horriblus and some players who are still here next year have gone backwards
That was a long day! He doesn’t seem able to get a grip……
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

This is hilarious ! We lose against the best team in the league who have torn a lot of teams apart and suddenly we’re unfit, we’ve given up and it’s all McKellar’s fault. OHC is lazy now and a coward, Pollard is useless. Absolute tosh !
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

fentiger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:07 pm Given the disparity in available players the result didn't surprise me. I'm happy to give McKellar time, I think the whole attack coach fiasco is a poor reflection on the club management, feels like he's been dealt a bum hand!
What a massive excuse that is - do you really think he wasn’t given the option of an experienced Attack coach - he was and chose Matt Smith. We are going no where but backwards under DM - I fear for next season if he is in charge.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I do think from an England perspective Langdon looked quality. He’d really add something off the bench ball in hand.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Saints not win it this year. We showed if you target them at the breakdown then you can get some change. Could see them coming unstuck against Saracens or Bath up front. That being said they’ve still got Pearson and Lawes to come in.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:43 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:07 pm Given the disparity in available players the result didn't surprise me. I'm happy to give McKellar time, I think the whole attack coach fiasco is a poor reflection on the club management, feels like he's been dealt a bum hand!
What a massive excuse that is - do you really think he wasn’t given the option of an experienced Attack coach - he was and chose Matt Smith. We are going no where but backwards under DM - I fear for next season if he is in charge.
And you know that how? :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:43 pm
The attack coach has hampered the progress....Dickens is still employed by the Club and finances may not have allowed the additional expense of a temporary coach. Dispensing of an employees services whilst under contract can be costly and circumstances may prevent any termination.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Steward having 15 on his back today would've changed nothing in all reality. If you think otherwise then you need to double check your glasses.
He was defending 15 most of the game anyway.
Saints didn't put up many contestable high balls, and that's his bread and butter.

Shillcock had a poor game tbh, but it's laughable how people are blaming him for poor pass by Steward.
If Brown was to take the place of any back 3 player it prob should've been OHC who looks devoid of any confidence. Brown and Steward on the back 3 together is too slow also, so who else is in the back 3 that is fit?

Honestly I don't blame Shillcock fully for the Yellow card, or Wiese for his. Shillcock was a 2 on 1 he made the wrong call but he won't be the first and last to do it. Many Leicester legends have tried and fail in that situation. Wiese again was very unfair as he went early on the line but he ran back and I thought if not for the crowd yelling the ref wouldn't have pinged it.

Kata was pure dumb and ruined a very good game by him.
We need speed in the backs.

Wells and Cracknell are prob on their last contracts. Cracknell isn't as bad as people say, but he isn't Tommy Reffell but who is? I just feel we have too many lowrisj low ceiling players in the pack.

Anyway positive Carnduff looks ready for this level, some massive hits out their for the young man.