LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Old Hob »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 am Apparently it was mentioned on comms during the BUCS final that Meredith has been released by Tigers, would be very surprised if true as we aren't exactly swimming in 10 options
Will Edwards at Quins is looking for a new berth. He did pretty well when Smith was away with the WC.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by kpj tiger »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 am
kpj tiger wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 am Apparently it was mentioned on comms during the BUCS final that Meredith has been released by Tigers, would be very surprised if true as we aren't exactly swimming in 10 options
Will Edwards at Quins is looking for a new berth. He did pretty well when Smith was away with the WC.
He was good for Quins but as a primarily running 10 i'm not sure he'd be the best fit at Tigers, could see a club like Bristol potentially being interested as they're losing Sheedy and Macginty is 35
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I guess who knows what the new attack coach and McKeller will be wanting moving forward.
Depending on who it is we might be seeing our gameplan change a bit.

On Meredith I don't get why we wouldn't keep him but I can't see it being wrong considering that Titcombe knows people in loughborough.
I know Bath are only keeping one player in their U18 squad and I don't know if teams are getting ready for a squad rules change or what?

If Meredith is off I would want another 10 either development or back up Pollard.
Last edited by RagingBull on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 am
Old Hob wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 am
He was good for Quins but as a primarily running 10 i'm not sure he'd be the best fit at Tigers, could see a club like Bristol potentially being interested as they're losing Sheedy and Macginty is 35
If bringing in a new 10 I wouldn't mind a bench option being someone who can mix it play a different type of game if we needed it.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:01 am If Meredith is off I would want another 10 either development or back up Pollard.
I would have thought we would have to bring somebody in as (correct me if i'm wrong) we will only have Pollard and Wilkinson as full time 10's and Shillcock and Woodward as players who can play 10 in a pinch.

Is there anybody in the academy behind Meredith who looks like a decent prospect?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The club really needs to pick up some more promising young players
More planning and we might have been able to have signed CCS to replace Wiese, Louie Johnson to back up Pollard.

Like we should have seen Irish failing and had a talk with Wiese about his future, if he wasn't going to commit to a longer contract then we could've signed CCS on a short term contract and get a bigger contract once Wiese left.

Same with Guy Pepper at Bath, he would've been a perfect back up to Reffell, Ilione could focus more on 6 or 8 which I think he would've thrived more in.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 am
RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:01 am If Meredith is off I would want another 10 either development or back up Pollard.
I would have thought we would have to bring somebody in as (correct me if i'm wrong) we will only have Pollard and Wilkinson as full time 10's and Shillcock and Woodward as players who can play 10 in a pinch.

Is there anybody in the academy behind Meredith who looks like a decent prospect?
Tom Threlfall is a decent prospect in the academy but if he gets a contract very much a attacking 10/15 mould.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

George Makepeace-Cubitt the England U20 fly half that beat France is unattached, I think Bath and Chinnor 10 George Worboys is avaiable end of season also.
Last edited by RagingBull on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:21 am George Makepeace-Cubitt the England U20 fly half that beat France is unattached
That would be a decent pickup...
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 am The club really needs to pick up some more promising young players
More planning and we might have been able to have signed CCS to replace Wiese, Louie Johnson to back up Pollard.

Like we should have seen Irish failing and had a talk with Wiese about his future, if he wasn't going to commit to a longer contract then we could've signed CCS on a short term contract and get a bigger contract once Wiese left.

Same with Guy Pepper at Bath, he would've been a perfect back up to Reffell, Ilione could focus more on 6 or 8 which I think he would've thrived more in.
Agree 100% with this, to have only picked up Ollie Allan (which seems to have been in part due to him going to Loughborough Uni) when Wasps, Worcester and Irish went bust is a bit criminal IMO
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:31 am
RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 am The club really needs to pick up some more promising young players

Agree 100% with this
Agree the planning this year does seem to be have been poor. Normally we’re told that recruitment is done and dusted by December for the next season. But it appears we’re still talking to the likes of Simmonds, Marchant etc

If you think about Wiese leaving, T Willis, CCS, Mercer all joined rivals this season so this forward planning would’ve been beneficial. It isn’t always about big signings. If you look at Saracens, they’ve made some shrewd appointments from Newcastle and the likes of Spink.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 am

Agree 100% with this
Agree the planning this year does seem to be have been poor. Normally we’re told that recruitment is done and dusted by December for the next season. But it appears we’re still talking to the likes of Simmonds, Marchant etc

If you think about Wiese leaving, T Willis, CCS, Mercer all joined rivals this season so this forward planning would’ve been beneficial. It isn’t always about big signings. If you look at Saracens, they’ve made some shrewd appointments from Newcastle and the likes of Spink.
I mean I guess the trouble with that if it's true is they are both in contract with their current clubs. IF TRUE
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Agree 100% with this, to have only picked up Ollie Allan (which seems to have been in part due to him going to Loughborough Uni) when Wasps, Worcester and Irish went bust is a bit criminal IMO
TBF we picked up 3 decent U18 backs in Allan, Myall and Kinder. Myall and Kinder both looked really good for England U19 in the game I watched
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:37 am

Agree 100% with this

I mean I guess the trouble with that if it's true is they are both in contract with their current clubs. IF TRUE
I hope it’s true though that we’re at least bringing in an eight and centre still.

Morgan Morris could be a good pick up. Think he extended till the end of 23/24. Doesn’t seem to be able to break into the Wales squad, despite being good enough.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Agree 100% with this

I may be wrong, but isn't this like only the 2nd or 3rd year that teams are even allowed to talk to players in contract at other clubs before January?!?