Re: Champions' Cup Quarter finals 2024

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jack Willis world class performance this afternoon
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:38 pm Jack Willis world class performance this afternoon
Yes.

Contrast Kinghorn and Scotland, Willis with.........
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:09 am Never thought I would say it but definitely supporting Saints next round.
No need for that sort of language round here... :smt044 :smt044
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:38 pm Jack Willis world class performance this afternoon
It's a shame England persist with their policy of not picking foreign based players.
Alongside Earl and Mercer it would make quite a back row. Chessum and Martin as locks. All that would be needed are a couple of decent props to take the mantle from Cole & Marler and we have a phenomenal pack.
There seem to be a few decent backs around to which Arundell is another exciex pat.
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:45 am Great to see two English sides in the semi finals but I don’t think they will progress any further, Toulouse and Leinster will be far to strong for them, should be a great final if those two get to the final.
Leinster are in South Africa for the next two weeks. Saints have to travel up the A50.

Preparation not ideal for Leinster.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Smudger67S wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:07 am
BigDan50 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:45 am Great to see two English sides in the semi finals but I don’t think they will progress any further, Toulouse and Leinster will be far to strong for them, should be a great final if those two get to the final.
Leinster are in South Africa for the next two weeks. Saints have to travel up the A50.

Yes but Leinster will only send a 2nd/3rd string team there, they aren’t bother about the urc only the champions cup
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Stephen18 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:32 am
Smudger67S wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:07 am

Yes but Leinster will only send a 2nd/3rd string team there, they aren’t bother about the urc only the champions cup
Absolutely as was said on commentary during their game, and they are heading the URC
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Yesterday's Toulouse v Exeter game was outstanding, and luckily my pal and I had seats in the shade as it was sweltering in the sun.
Not so lucky was that most of the action was at the other end of the ground and I'd forgotten to wear my glasses!!
The first half was a bit worrying as I thought that Exeter were going to do what Harlequins had done the day before, but it was not to be, because whatever was said at half time in the Toulouse changing room had the desired effect and Exeter were blown away in the second half. As Rugbygramps has mentioned, Jack Willis was in magnificent form as was François Cros on the other flank, and I believe that it was these two players who tipped the scales in the second half.
Semper in excretia
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

mol2 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:49 pm
It's a shame England persist with their policy of not picking foreign based players.
Alongside Earl and Mercer it would make quite a back row. Chessum and Martin as locks. All that would be needed are a couple of decent props to take the mantle from Cole & Marler and we have a phenomenal pack.
There seem to be a few decent backs around to which Arundell is another exciex pat.

It's just as much a club thing as well as an RFU thing though.
Like big chance without that policy a lot of current England players will look at moves, including our own.

Arundell has been pretty average at Racing so far
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

So the English Prem is in dire straits and yet we have 2 semi finalists :smt017
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

We may as well scrap the venues for both finals and just use Kingsholm and the RDS.....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:23 pm We may as well scrap the venues for both finals and just use Kingsholm and the RDS.....
Think Benetton will have more than a little to say about that. They have half the Italian team in their squad
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:49 pm
It really isn't. Allowing open season on the best English talent would drive up wages and almost certainly see Prem clubs in a weaker overall state with a ravaged domestic competition. Sponsorship and TV money would be even harder to come by than it is already and England would lose all access to players outside of designated international windows so no rest periods or training camps.

The only players playing abroad for this season that might make the squad are currently Jack Willis and Joe Marchant. We are well stocked in the backrow, centre less so though Slade has generally done a good job.