LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:13 pm Moroni and Orlando could both be exiting Falcons. Moroni is a brilliant defensive general, which we need, and Orlando is a running threat, which we need.
I’m sorry but Moroni is no where near the player he was. Certainly wouldn’t be a step up on what is already there
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:13 pm Collier has been mentioned in dispatches and was excellent for Quins yesterday along with Baxter.
Other than the 2 Leicester players there is Stewart, Painter and Davidson
Collier is probably a bit too old to start playing for England now
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:15 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:13 pm Collier has been mentioned in dispatches and was excellent for Quins yesterday along with Baxter.
Other than the 2 Leicester players there is Stewart, Painter and Davidson
Collier is probably a bit too old to start playing for England now
It’s a good point. He is 5 years younger than Cole
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:02 pm I don't think Dan will go on the summer tour but both he and Heyes will be in the squad come next season, simply put who else is there? I don't remember if Collier has had a look from Quins in the past?
Collier's away to Castres. Tito Lamositele is heading to Quins. Which is a very different style of prop but potentially a good shift for Quins. Lamositele is strong in the loose, given Marler and Baxter are so solid at LH it may suit them to have a ball carrier at TH.

Collier has always been a strong scrummager but injuries have likely prevented him developing into more than that and getting further caps beyond that Argentina tour in a Lions summer.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:56 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:43 am
This is personal opinion, but i think we will only see a centre coming in for sure, as that is the major hole there. TH i think will be covered by Tim Hoyt, which as 4th choice i am comfortable with.

The only question is whether another lock or back row comes in. Personally the answer to that is where they see Hatherall playing. If they see Hatherall primarily as a lock, then we need another back row. If we see him primarily as a back row, we need another lock.

If i was Head of Recruitment, i would have Hatherall as a back row, and look to bring in another lock who is big enough to do the grunt work.
Hoyt has a year lost on his development due to injury, We have Cole, Heyes both looking like there are on the England radar still and now Hurd is on Scotland radar. I would rather give him another year at the championship to begin with he will only be 22 next season.

A TH that can cover LH would def be a priority for me.
I get that, and I would not necessarily be against going with Ellof or someone else like that. I was more thinking of Andrea's comments with us, where she mentioned the intent to use the development guys as wider depth options. With that in mind i was working on the below:

Woodward replacing Cokanasiga
Chessum Junior replacing Carter
Hoyt replacing Richardson

Ultimately I don't see them in training so it is hard to say how ready Hoyt is to step up, however I trust McKellar and Palmer's judgement either way.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:15 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:13 pm Moroni and Orlando could both be exiting Falcons. Moroni is a brilliant defensive general, which we need, and Orlando is a running threat, which we need.
I’m sorry but Moroni is no where near the player he was. Certainly wouldn’t be a step up on what is already there
I think Moroni would be a step up on Scott or a certainly like for like replacement for roles in the squad, with Perese a strong replacement for Porter. My only issue is that we do need to be thinking about EQP at 13 given we could be running tight across the board.

Mason Grady is being linked with a host of Premiership clubs, and i suspect we are one that is interested, however again do we want EQP.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Moroni for Scott, as an experienced option, would be a decent move for 12 months. Just my opinion but I don’t get the on going fascination with ex players
Ellie
Tiger Cub

Post by Ellie »

albany wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:27 am Nic Dolly signs for Western Force.
The Western Force article has disappeared off their website - wonder why? Will be interesting to see where Porter and Scott end up.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:49 pm Moroni for Scott, as an experienced option, would be a decent move for 12 months. Just my opinion but I don’t get the on going fascination with ex players
Can only speak personally but I don't really see the likes of Genge or Moroni as ex-players, I just see good rugby players that are proven performers at this level, and if they become available, we should be in for them etc.

Same with the likes of George Ford or Sam Costelow when we're thinking about replacing Pollard next season. If either of them became available, i'd want us to be interested as they are good players. The fact both played for us is nice, but it is not the main thing that stands out.

(not saying we will be in for Ford or that he will be available, but it is a nice example).
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I'm not sure I rate Costelow particularly highly but then again I was seeing him behind an awful Welsh pack
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:49 pm Moroni for Scott, as an experienced option, would be a decent move for 12 months. Just my opinion but I don’t get the on going fascination with ex players
Can only speak personally but I don't really see the likes of Genge or Moroni as ex-players, I just see good rugby players that are proven performers at this level, and if they become available, we should be in for them etc.

Same with the likes of George Ford or Sam Costelow when we're thinking about replacing Pollard next season. If either of them became available, i'd want us to be interested as they are good players. The fact both played for us is nice, but it is not the main thing that stands out.

(not saying we will be in for Ford or that he will be available, but it is a nice example).
I take your point just be nice to hear some new names mentioned. Costelow, I think would depend on the number of caps.
At a slight tangent if we need to replace Pollard I have been impressed with George Havilli when I’ve seen him

Edit: Not George William fly half for Manu Samoa
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Rugbygramps: Jacob Uamaga came on as a permanent replacement after 7 mins, and played the rest of the game slotting 2 penalty goals & 2 conversions as well as making a number of very good half breaks.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Qbec wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:21 pm Rugbygramps: Jacob Uamaga came on as a permanent replacement after 7 mins, and played the rest of the game slotting 2 penalty goals & 2 conversions as well as making a number of very good half breaks.
Certainly seems to be enjoying himself over there. Some high quality Italian internationals in that side
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

how old is Kieran Wilkinson?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Would love it if we were going after Grady but I've only seen Exeter and I think Sale linked so far