LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sapajo »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:13 pm I agree - I’d be shocked to see 4 new signings yet to be announced.

We were always rumoured to be bringing in 2 new centres. Given Porter and Scott leaving this is almost a certainty now.

Other than that I’d hope we’d bring in another 8. Simmonds would be a great signing and maybe long term look to bring in his brother when Pollard leaves.

So I’d see 2 more signings but be very surprised to see any more.
In which case it begs the question are we spending upto the new Salary Cap as it strikes me we have shipped out 12 players and so far only shipped in 2 ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by MCC1964 »

To make absolutely double sure we don’t go into an overspend….
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It's not really 12 leavers though is it
Joe Powell, Ben Woolett, Mike Williams all short term signings
Atkinson moving was basically helping to accommodate for Brown's new contract

So that's 4 players off the list of leavers that can't really be accommodated for
Makes it more like 8 players leaving, and 3 brought in not 2.
Last edited by RagingBull on Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:35 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:13 pm I agree - I’d be shocked to see 4 new signings yet to be announced.

We were always rumoured to be bringing in 2 new centres. Given Porter and Scott leaving this is almost a certainty now.

Other than that I’d hope we’d bring in another 8. Simmonds would be a great signing and maybe long term look to bring in his brother when Pollard leaves.

So I’d see 2 more signings but be very surprised to see any more.
In which case it begs the question are we spending upto the new Salary Cap as it strikes me we have shipped out 12 players and so far only shipped in 2 ?
This has been covered before.

3 of those leaving were short term cover for injury or World Cup. Why would we replace them?

Some have barely played and replacements are not needed.

Some will probably be replaced by academy players.

Some new signings have already been announced.

I don't see the problem...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:43 am
This is personal opinion, but i think we will only see a centre coming in for sure, as that is the major hole there. TH i think will be covered by Tim Hoyt, which as 4th choice i am comfortable with.

The only question is whether another lock or back row comes in. Personally the answer to that is where they see Hatherall playing. If they see Hatherall primarily as a lock, then we need another back row. If we see him primarily as a back row, we need another lock.

If i was Head of Recruitment, i would have Hatherall as a back row, and look to bring in another lock who is big enough to do the grunt work.
Hoyt has a year lost on his development due to injury, We have Cole, Heyes both looking like there are on the England radar still and now Hurd is on Scotland radar. I would rather give him another year at the championship to begin with he will only be 22 next season.

A TH that can cover LH would def be a priority for me.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

X2Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Qbec »

I wanna just throw this into the mix Jacob Uamaga fly half ex academy was at Wasps now Benetton (2022) doing well, worth a look
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: X2Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sapajo »

Qbec wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:07 pm I wanna just throw this into the mix Jacob Uamaga fly half ex academy was at Wasps now Benetton (2022) doing well, worth a look
Nice to see everyone suggesting the signing of fantasy players
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I'd love to hear what McKeller thinks about Shilcock in the starting XV with Pollard, if he is a big fan of that then we may not be looking for a right wing as that becomes the obvious place for Steward, if he sees it as a needs must situation currently then we need another RW as a matter of priority as the only real option we have there has been injured for over a year (at least it feels that way)
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:56 pm Hoyt has a year lost on his development due to injury, We have Cole, Heyes both looking like there are on the England radar still and now Hurd is on Scotland radar.
We certainly need to bring in another TH as cover for the international periods.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: X2Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Rugbygramps »

Qbec wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:07 pm I wanna just throw this into the mix Jacob Uamaga fly half ex academy was at Wasps now Benetton (2022) doing well, worth a look
He was on the bench today but looked good. That Benetton squad is coming together well doing ok in the URC and just reached the semi of the challenge cup. I don’t think the lure of moving away from Italian rugby is what it was
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:56 pm
This is personal opinion, but i think we will only see a centre coming in for sure, as that is the major hole there. TH i think will be covered by Tim Hoyt, which as 4th choice i am comfortable with.

The only question is whether another lock or back row comes in. Personally the answer to that is where they see Hatherall playing. If they see Hatherall primarily as a lock, then we need another back row. If we see him primarily as a back row, we need another lock.

If i was Head of Recruitment, i would have Hatherall as a back row, and look to bring in another lock who is big enough to do the grunt work.
Hoyt has a year lost on his development due to injury, We have Cole, Heyes both looking like there are on the England radar still and now Hurd is on Scotland radar. I would rather give him another year at the championship to begin with he will only be 22 next season.

I still think it’s either Cole or Heyes with England. Will be interesting to see if Dan goes on the summer tour, would be an ideal opportunity to look at the succession with Sinclair gone too.
I wonder how far Hurd is with Scotland when all their tight heads are fit
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:59 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:56 pm

I still think it’s either Cole or Heyes with England. Will be interesting to see if Dan goes on the summer tour, would be an ideal opportunity to look at the succession with Sinclair gone too.
I wonder how far Hurd is with Scotland when all their tight heads are fit
I don't think Dan will go on the summer tour but both he and Heyes will be in the squad come next season, simply put who else is there? I don't remember if Collier has had a look from Quins in the past?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:54 pm
He was on the bench today but looked good. That Benetton squad is coming together well doing ok in the URC and just reached the semi of the challenge cup. I don’t think the lure of moving away from Italian rugby is what it was
Treviso have good backing these days. I wouldn't be surprised if their player spend is above most Prem clubs.

Snyman went there for basically the same squad position. He was apparently just offered better money.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Moroni and Orlando could both be exiting Falcons. Moroni is a brilliant defensive general, which we need, and Orlando is a running threat, which we need.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Collier has been mentioned in dispatches and was excellent for Quins yesterday along with Baxter.
Other than the 2 Leicester players there is Stewart, Painter and Davidson