LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sapajo »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:18 am ....Soon be time ...best get ready ...patience is a virtue...
Oh you mean soon be soon be time and best get ready for more wind ups :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by johnthegriff »

When Borthwick was appointed we knew he was likely to succeed Eddie Jones as England coach so the Directors of that time were aware that there would be some disruption about now..it all came a little earlier than planned and because S.B took with him his senior coaches the disruption went a little deeper than anticipated.
Our new Head Coach and our new Board and management team and and deserve the time to develop the squad and game plan they want. McKellar has not yet had the luxury of a pre-season with his first choice p!ayers, he deserves that, at present in this disrupted season we still have the chance of a top four finish. Whatever our final position, and I do understand many including myself are not exactly thrilled by some of our performances we have to be fair and reserve judgement until the back end of next season before considering a verdict.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It has been a strange season across the board for results. I would have to look back but I don’t think we have been on the wrong end of a hammering. Last few weeks, Saints, Quins and Saracens have all lost and won by a big score
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:20 am
fentiger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:03 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:41 am

What makes you say that with all his experience. You earn over a period of time were you expecting miracles. Again I cite the examples of the head coaches at Bath and Gloucester
Plus Borthwick had a free pass season to start with!
I get fans frustration I just don’t understand the mind set. If Mckellar were to go what happens next season if his replacement fails in the mind of fans, do we get rid of them too, then rinse and repeat until we luck on a successful one.
It is no coincidence that Exeter and Sarries have long standing head coaches. Even at Saints Dowson and Vesty have had a few seasons now initially learning their trade under Boyd who still consults from afar
And the success of the team in that period was now all down to Borthwick. You can’t underestimate the input by Sinfield and Walters.. both of whom have left so it’s a big hole that we are trying to fill.. it’s not all down to DMK and he definitely deserves some time to get his feet under the table with the whole squad
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I'm okay with all of those departures. It does feel like a spring clean was needed. I'm just hoping the replacements are strong, obviously.

I've not been too convinced by DMK, but accept that this season has been a bit of a write-off, which isn't his fault. I'm sure we'll start to see what he's really about next season
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Very curious to see who our new backs coach is for next season. Would be quite disappointed if it ends up being an internal 'promotion'. I think we are in dire need of new ideas.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I would be interested to know what posters are still unconvinced about re Mckellar.
Often this season results/performances have been down to individual errors or not sticking to the game plan, which imo is down to the players. The coach can only do so much and then players have to hold their hands up
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:20 am I would be interested to know what posters are still unconvinced about re Mckellar.
Often this season results/performances have been down to individual errors or not sticking to the game plan, which imo is down to the players. The coach can only do so much and then players have to hold their hands up
Agreed. Personally I think it is too early to make a decision on DMK. The season has been difficult with a large number of the squad missing on International duty, we started on the back foot having lost a significant portion of the coaching staff and we have been fighting on 3 fronts having got to the PRC final, the Champions Cup QF and were it not for a last minute try by Glos we would be right in the playoff mix potentially second or third in the league.. I wouldn’t say it’s all doom and gloom that’s for sure
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/munster- ... d-centres/
Munster and Ireland sniffing around Dan Kelly???? Hope not
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:52 am Very curious to see who our new backs coach is for next season. Would be quite disappointed if it ends up being an internal 'promotion'. I think we are in dire need of new ideas.
I think we do need a top quality backs coach and then that should transform everything really. Give them some new ideas, confidence and direction and we should be ok. As much as I like Matt Smith I think it's clear we need someone above him. I'd like to keep him around but definitely not good enough to be the main man imo sadly.
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:59 pm https://www.rugbypass.com/news/munster- ... d-centres/
Really hope we keep him. 😔
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:59 pm https://www.rugbypass.com/news/munster- ... d-centres/
And with talk of release fees it doesn't sound like mere idle speculation by either the journalists or the IRFU
As Good As It Gets
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Written by Fissler though...

If it were to happen, then Marchant would not be a bad replacement...
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Pellsey wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:21 pm Written by Fissler though...

To me it seems like Marchant and Perese are similar players, both 13s?

With only 3 senior centres in the squad, it would be irresponsible to let Kelly go, even for a fee.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Pellsey wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:21 pm Written by Fissler though...

I can understand why people don't really like Fissler, but love him or loathe him, he often gets it right.