LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:17 pm Interesting that Anthony Watson is sharing on Instagram posts showing him with removals companies based in the Midlands.

Has he made the move to the Leicester area just that bit more permanent.

Hopefully he'll be fit going forward into next season
Not sure how I feel about Watson to be honest
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also see from Beets Instagram that he's in Northampton atm... that suggests he's a travelling reserve for the Bulls game vs Saints
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:07 pm
sk 88 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:03 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:46 pm

6 backs 6 forwards listed. Of those Powell signed to cover RWC, Wollett only ever short term, Atkinson was a surprise but was 3rd choice 10 and received an offer from Gloucester. The other 3 Cocanasinga has never really impressed despite being given opportunity, Scott wants to move back to Edinburgh so personal reasons, and it’s been said that Porter wishes to return to Australia again personal reasons. Not sure much could have been done about any of those
That's what I mean.

Standing back we've lost every player in the backs from 2022 bar Youngs, van Poortvliet, Kelly, Steward and Simmons. Are we claiming that WAS part of a plan? We were told, consistently, after 2020 that we were trying to build cohesion & that this was very, very important.
I take your point but at that stage I doubt the plan included 3 different head coaches in 3 years, for whatever the reason. That fact alone means Mckellar needs patience and time
He may need patience and time, but is he earning that? I’m not convinced he knows what he is doing….
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

If Cabous Eloff is confirmed then that adds a prop who plays both sides and a ball carrier. From what I've seen of Eloff, he's a stronger carrier than any of our props. Since losing Genge and Nephi, we've really only had Montoya who's a notable carrier in the front row.

We desperately need more carrying and physicality in the pack. Even with Jasper about, that's still been clear this season. A second row who can carry hard off 9 and hit hard in the tackle would be my call. Basically someone to offer closer to what Martin does when he isn't available.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ABClub wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:05 pm If Cabous Eloff is confirmed then that adds a prop who plays both sides and a ball carrier. From what I've seen of Eloff, he's a stronger carrier than any of our props. Since losing Genge and Nephi, we've really only had Montoya who's a notable carrier in the front row.
Would be very happy with this signing. What’s the source behind this? Would be a great addition to the squad

EDIT: found it!

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fissler- ... lfuseKXvEU
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Eloff or LDB would do me just fine as the final piece in the front row.
Second row or Number 8 whilst promoting Ilione and Carnduff more would then round off the senior pack

Backs
Outside Centre is certainly needed
Woodward, Meredith, Allen to hopefully get more game time in the prem cup
Davies and Myall are two players I can see going up to the championship next season looking at reports from Leicester Lions
Would still be tempted to look at another 10

Next big question is who is going from the Senior development squad
Edwards, Cusick and Koroyardi seem very likely
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Is this the first time that Tigers have been the first club to confirm a leavers list?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 pm Eloff or LDB would do me just fine as the final piece in the front row.
Second row or Number 8 whilst promoting Ilione and Carnduff more would then round off the senior pack

Backs
Outside Centre is certainly needed
Woodward, Meredith, Allen to hopefully get more game time in the prem cup
Davies and Myall are two players I can see going up to the championship next season looking at reports from Leicester Lions
Would still be tempted to look at another 10

Next big question is who is going from the Senior development squad
Edwards, Cusick and Koroyardi seem very likely
Agree entirely on your points.

Yeah knowing leavers in the dev squad is a big point. e.g. keeping Manz Snr (unlikely) may mean we decide against a new lock.

I also think we'll hear about a couple of extensions in the senior squad still to come (they will be signed for us to have announced the leavers list. Cracknell is probably out of contract (though may be on a 2+1 deal) so probably him and one or two others...

Hopefully with a published leavers list we'll get some news soon on signings... clubs don't like leaving bad news hanging with no good news coming.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigersunited wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:52 pm
sk 88 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:03 pm

That's what I mean.

Standing back we've lost every player in the backs from 2022 bar Youngs, van Poortvliet, Kelly, Steward and Simmons. Are we claiming that WAS part of a plan? We were told, consistently, after 2020 that we were trying to build cohesion & that this was very, very important.
I take your point but at that stage I doubt the plan included 3 different head coaches in 3 years, for whatever the reason. That fact alone means Mckellar needs patience and time
He may need patience and time, but is he earning that? I’m not convinced he knows what he is doing….
What makes you say that with all his experience. You earn over a period of time were you expecting miracles. Again I cite the examples of the head coaches at Bath and Gloucester
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:41 am

What makes you say that with all his experience. You earn over a period of time were you expecting miracles. Again I cite the examples of the head coaches at Bath and Gloucester
Plus Borthwick had a free pass season to start with!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

....Soon be time ...best get ready ...patience is a virtue...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:03 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:41 am

Plus Borthwick had a free pass season to start with!
I get fans frustration I just don’t understand the mind set. If Mckellar were to go what happens next season if his replacement fails in the mind of fans, do we get rid of them too, then rinse and repeat until we luck on a successful one.
It is no coincidence that Exeter and Sarries have long standing head coaches. Even at Saints Dowson and Vesty have had a few seasons now initially learning their trade under Boyd who still consults from afar
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:18 am ....Soon be time ...best get ready ...patience is a virtue...
All this teasing better be worth it!!!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:23 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:18 am ....Soon be time ...best get ready ...patience is a virtue...

...'worth it' is open to the individuals interpretation of who/what we have in terms of additions.

We have and always had operated in a particular manner.

Also , no disrespect, but please do not kid yourself ; there are others on this board who know exactly what gives ,or put more aptly what to expect come the time (thus far ).
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:32 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:23 am

...'worth it' is open to the individuals interpretation of who/what we have in terms of additions.

We have and always had operated in a particular manner.

Also , no disrespect, but please do not kid yourself ; there are others on this board who know exactly what gives ,or put more aptly what to expect come the time (thus far ).
Of course. Everything is down to individual interpretation! Time will tell.