Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

GB72 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:42 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:34 pm
GB72 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:30 pm

Depends what other cover you have on the bench and on the pitch. If Ford is starting, I suspect that Marcus Smith would be used as bench fullback cover and so no spot for Steward.

All seems somewhat of a moot point in any event. It is fact that he was not selected in the match day squad for the second half of the 6 nations and (unless is was due to injuries) was selected on the wing as opposed to full back in an important Tigers match.
on the Tigers selection, we had no other wingers available, if Bassett, Simmonds or Watson were available it would be a fair point to make
Was not sure on the position regarding Bassett and with the debate about Pollard playing better with a second playmaker on the pitch I wondered if the decision could be have been tactical as opposed to forced.

Bearing in mind injuries etc, will be interesting to see the selection verses Saints
Tigers were forced into this change, we don't know if McKeller would have gone that way given the choice, it will be interesting to see what he does when we do have wingers available, our attack has, in the opinion of most, looked better in the short time Steward was playing right wing and Shilcock was at 15 since Bassett went off at Newcastle but it remains to be seen if McKeller agrees.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:39 pm
mol2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:34 pm Am I alone in thinking it strange that Freddie was dropped after his best attacking/counter attacking game in an England jersey?

He was, by some margin, England's brightest spark against Wales. Should have made or scored a couple of tries but for tripping over his own feet having done the hard work!

The issue seems to be that Borthwick reverted to Ford at fly half when Marcus Smith got injured. Ford is not the attacking player he was. He hasn't had the pace since his achilles rupture a couple of years ago and came into the 6N undercooked with a knee injury. In the first game against Italy he (Borthwick) wasted the opportunity to start with Finn Smith and starting him against Wales couldn't then happen.

I really rate George Ford but he isn't the player he was. I might get shot down in flames for suggesting that the midfield issues England had when playing him alongside Farrell (at centre) were partly down to him falling just short of top international level. Further compounded by playing Farrell at inside centre which he simply isn't at that level. During that era both Jones and then Borthwick should have chosen Ford or Farrell, but not both. For me that time has passed and England are again looking to compensate for a steady fly half by using their full back as the primary playmaker.

Marcus Smith is not a bench full back option. He covers fly half or starts at fly half.
Smith quite literally was England's bench Full back option, unless you think Manu was covering it?
And Smiths performance against France was at a higher level to anything Furbank had produced in the previous 2 and a bit games
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think Marcus Smith is now England's best option at flyhalf and probably Fin Smith is close behind him. For me Steward should be at 15 and Furbank on the bench as his skill set equips him to cover several roles in the way Alex Goode should have been used by previous England coaches.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 am I think Marcus Smith is now England's best option at flyhalf and probably Fin Smith is close behind him. For me Steward should be at 15 and Furbank on the bench as his skill set equips him to cover several roles in the way Alex Goode should have been used by previous England coaches.
Agree.
Let’s stop playing players out of position (unless as emergency injury cover)
Freddie isn’t a bench option. Starts at FB or not in the 23. Yes needs to work on his acceleration and turning to bring the rest of his game to world class but it’s wrong to assume he’s just a high ball merchant.
Nothing against Furbank and there is a case for starting him at FB but then England have to decide on their bench options.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Am I the only person on here who DOESN’T rate Mr Skip-kick? Aka Marcus Smith??
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Lutontiger wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:59 pm Am I the only person on here who DOESN’T rate Mr Skip-kick? Aka Marcus Smith??
For me his game management has improved beyond recognition over the past 18 months, and he isn’t afraid to put his head where it hurts, while he hasn’t lost any of the flashy stuff.
Imo with him Lawrence Freeman and Feya Waboso they can really build a back line to challenge.
Others will disagree
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Lutontiger wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:59 pm Am I the only person on here who DOESN’T rate Mr Skip-kick? Aka Marcus Smith??
A couple of seasons ago thought he was an ok player but now I would say that he is a very good player probably almost on a par with Finn Russell.
A2O
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Nope. the jury's out for some like me.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

I don't think it would be fair to say he is a bad player.

However i think he is massively over rated and i am personally not a fan at all.

I would pick Fin Smith over him every day of the week with George Ford as a back up. There is no way he would get a look in at full back for me.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Marcus Smith reminds me of George Ford when Fordy broke into the Tigers’ team:
great vision in attack and a very decent kicking game.
Smith of Saints a very promising player too.
Both can continue to learn from George then England will be able to move forward in a very positive way.
I always enjoy both Smiths playing as they aren’t afraid to try something different to unlock good defences. Saints’ Smith is better in defence but Marcus is improving.
Time to enjoy watching both this weekend.
Good luck Saints, Quins and Exeter in European Champions Cup and Gloucester in the Challenge Cup.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

Most players run over Marcus, he may put his head where it hurts but he is too often left floundering in the dirt. Good kicking game, some good flashes but not a defender who will trouble powerful players.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

PJM wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:13 pm Most players run over Marcus, he may put his head where it hurts but he is too often left floundering in the dirt. Good kicking game, some good flashes but not a defender who will trouble powerful players.
I'd say Marcus Smith is actually a good defender for a flyhalf, certainly the best of the options available to England. There's very few flyhalfs that trouble powerful ball carriers, that's hardly unusual and quite frankly most teams will cover for their flyhalf defensively considering what else they bring to the table.

Smith is a fantastic attacking flyhalf, good skills, including kicking for goal but there are still questions about his game management which can be patchy. He seems to have issues closing out games when Quins are in front for instance. He's not been able to reliably bring his Quins form to England either though he has looked good when given more time at 15. As an impact sub at 10 he did well Vs Ireland in the 6N. He's 25 so now in his prime years, just needs to kick on a bit before Fin Smith overtakes him.

Fin Smith really does look like a younger George Ford.