LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Terracetiger4 »

Where has this link to marchant come from? I haven’t seen anything anywhere?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:35 pm
sk 88 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:26 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:35 pm I'd like to keep Koroiyadi if possible, but if he's not good enough, he's not good enough. Can't keep everyone.

The stick Cracknell and Rogerson get on here is so overblown it is unreal.

Just to add, Chester Owen i believe suffered multiple concussions in a short space of time, which was a contributing factor to him leaving.
Well he's playing for Coventry fairly regularly now in the Championship at 20 so obviously wasn't that bad or long term.

We seem to flip flop on whether we want a big development squad where players develop at their own pace, or if we want a tight group aimed at getting players into the first team or moved on by the year they turn 20. Either way can work & has advantages, and the truly best come through whatever, but I don't think switching seemingly every 3 years on a dime as we have for ages is a great look.
I feel like part of it is making room for the new pool of outside academy players suddenly available
From what I remember there is you 4 academies without a prem team now
This off season just gone we signed 3 players from those teams (Plus Beddal from Cardiff)
We have already tried and failed to Tyler Offiah from London Irish old academy
Nevermind all bar Yorkshire to be scrapped.

Wonder how the boundaries will be split. Would imagine Sale, Gloucester and Tigers get the Worcester area maybe Tigers get Birmingham?
Bath and Bristol to get the majority of London Irish?
Northampton/Gloucester to split Wasps
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:56 pm When Alex Lewington left us, AlexTuilagi was still playing as was Geordan Murphy and we had Matt Tait, Scott Hamilton and I think Horatio Agulla possibly.others, opportunities on the wing were limited for a young player.
There have been a few young players leave to play regularly at a lower level and return to give good service to Tigers after they have further matured, Green, Wells, Clare to name just a few.
Sorry, but this isn't correct. Lewington left us for London Irish in 2013.

Geordan Murphy retired at the same time.

Agulla and Alessana had already departed a year earlier.

Not trying to be critical of the club, I wasn't at all bothered when Lewington left, but in hindsight he would have been worth keeping. The other thing with these situations is that we often forget that the player has a choice as well, it's not just the club. Maybe he had to choose between regular rugby at Irish and 4th choice at Tigers.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Olowefela and Odogwu should be included in the chat about wingers that didn't make it here, the latter becoming an Italian international
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Terracetiger4 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:02 pm Where has this link to marchant come from? I haven’t seen anything anywhere?
Not sure about the Tigers links but RFU chief executive Bill Sweeney said that Joe Marchant is rumoured to be coming back to the Premiership this year.. that’s all I’ve seen
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

wouldnt a move back to quins be more likely have they replaced the south african guy thats going?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tiglon you are right about Alex Tuilagi leaving the season before I thought he went directly from us to Newcastle but he played somewhere else before Falcons, I forgot that we also had Nicky Goneva at that time. Lewington had pace and was a decent prospect but at the time he was released he was not as good as those ahead of him, he needed time and games to develop. There is only so long that a club can keep a young player.if they are not to block the path of younger potential stars, guessing when any young player will plateau is probably impossible and at what level and age that will be.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:35 pm Olowefela and Odogwu should be included in the chat about wingers that didn't make it here, the latter becoming an Italian international
The former couldnt tackle and almost anyone to a man said Saints got the better brother, the latter had apparently an attitude that stank as he thought he was bigger and better than he was, his international career hasnt lasted that long, either through injury, attitude or Lynagh and anyone else is so much bettter?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I’m not getting excited about Marchant, given there’s not even a bad rumour out there. If all we’ve got is “he’s coming back to the Prem”, then we have a 1 in 9 chance of him joining us, assuming Sarries are content with just Spink joining them.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:35 pm Olowefela and Odogwu should be included in the chat about wingers that didn't make it here, the latter becoming an Italian international
Once again, you have the situation of defensive fraility or large egos (2 former u20 10s come to mind) at a young stage, and clubs deciding departure is best for the club. Some players become much better in their mid 20s, Will Hurrell was a self-admitted case in point. Jordan O (and Ryan) looked good at emergent stage but never really kicked on up. Some find a kick up the rear moves them onto top level, others walk off in a huff.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:51 pm
Once again, you have the situation of defensive fraility or large egos (2 former u20 10s come to mind) at a young stage, and clubs deciding departure is best for the club. Some players become much better in their mid 20s, Will Hurrell was a self-admitted case in point. Jordan O (and Ryan) looked good at emergent stage but never really kicked on up. Some find a kick up the rear moves them onto top level, others walk off in a huff.
a young player having an ego is not a bad thing, you should be able to trust the first team squad to police issue out of a young player to a large extent.

I want young players to have some arrogance about them, if its an issue I'd say it speaks to a lack of leadership within the squad as a whole, something I think we have seen play out in recent years on the field too.

I'm not saying these 2 should have made it here anyway, just that there was a large space since the Lewington's of the league were released by us that they fell into
bendy

Post by bendy »

Dolly, Porter and Scott all gone.

Whilst I can understand each of the decisions individually, that leaves a decent sized hole in the squad, particularly at centre.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Leavers list:

Phil Cokanasiga, Tiger #2381

Nic Dolly, Tiger #2348

Guy Porter, Tiger #2330

Joe Powell, Tiger #2407

Dan Richardson, Tiger #2359

Matt Scott, Tiger #2325

Jasper Wiese, Tiger #2339

Mike Williams, Tiger #2235

Ben Woollett, Tiger #2413

Francois van Wyk, Tiger #2350
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leicester Tigers are set to farewell a group of senior squad players at the end of the season.

Forwards Francois van Wyk, Nic Dolly and Dan Richardson will finish up their time with the club, Jasper Wiese having already confirmed the current campaign will be his last in Leicester earlier in the season.

Outside backs Guy Porter and Matt Scott will also move on at the end of the season with centre Phil Cokanasiga’s joining Welsh URC club, Ospreys.

Tigers also previously agreed to early releases for lock Sam Carter and flyhalf Charlie Atkinson, with Mike Williams, Joe Powell and Ben Woollett having departed earlier in the season after their short-term deals.

Leicester Tigers general manager, Richard Wilks said: “In professional sport you invariably have to say goodbye to good people at the end of each season and with this group they are all very, very good people.”

“All these lads have made massive contributions to the club. When we look back on the likes of Jasper, Nic and Guy; there’s a lot of pride in their development, becoming international players whilst at the club and they’ll be missed around Oval Park.

“Those guys, Scotty and Franna were also big parts in winning a Premiership title for the club. Those memories will live on past their playing careers.

“We wish all our departing players the best for the future they will always be warmly welcomed back at Leicester Tigers.”

Leicester Tigers 2023/2024 Farewells

Phil Cokanasiga, Tiger #2381

Nic Dolly, Tiger #2348

Guy Porter, Tiger #2330

Joe Powell, Tiger #2407

Dan Richardson, Tiger #2359

Matt Scott, Tiger #2325

Jasper Wiese, Tiger #2339

Mike Williams, Tiger #2235

Ben Woollett, Tiger #2413

Francois van Wyk, Tiger #2350
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’m kind of glad Nic Dolly is leaving. He’s too good not to be playing regularly in the premiership. But at Tigers he would’ve been struggling for time on the pitch. Deserves to be in a 23 regularly.

Leaves us three senior centres so the rumours of bringing someone else in must be true.