LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AViewFromLe2

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:20 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:14 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:01 pm Sarries are pretty stacked in the centres now
Yeah I don't see him going there now. I wonder if they had a choice between Spink and Marchant and went with Spink. Marchant makes sense if we are losing Porter. If Porter is staying it becomes harder to justify signing him. Perese, Porter and Marchant would be incredible depth but overkill!
Tbf when I read Marchant and Tigers I thought maybe Watson is leaving. He’s just as good on the wing as he is at 13. Forget how good under the highball he is.
Great point. I genuinely am concerned that Watson may need to retire. Back injuries are horrible and really affect quality of life post rugby. Would not surprise me if it is one that forces him to call it a day, but i do hope he makes a full recovery.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:06 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:59 pm Marchant had been speaking to Sarries as he was pretty keen to go back to London, which was the same as Sam Spink who has now signed with Sarries. To be fair, Tom Whiteley commutes up from North London every day so it can be done if he is prepared to do so.
Complete aside - do many of the current Tigers players commute far for training or do most live locally?
Borthwick has never moved from Bath, Sinfield stayed around Oldham close to the Ford clan I heard. Mike Brown still keeps his home in London, and I’m sure I read that Wigglesworth continued to live in Cheshire even while at Sarries. Don’t think Watson has ever moved to Leicester
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:28 pm

Yeah I don't see him going there now. I wonder if they had a choice between Spink and Marchant and went with Spink. Marchant makes sense if we are losing Porter. If Porter is staying it becomes harder to justify signing him. Perese, Porter and Marchant would be incredible depth but overkill!
Tbf when I read Marchant and Tigers I thought maybe Watson is leaving. He’s just as good on the wing as he is at 13. Forget how good under the highball he is.
Great point. I genuinely am concerned that Watson may need to retire. Back injuries are horrible and really affect quality of life post rugby. Would not surprise me if it is one that forces him to call it a day, but i do hope he makes a full recovery.
Unfortunately I agree about Watson which would be a big loss to the game. Marchant would be an excellent signing, he was very good at RWC, be another likely to be on England duty though
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:58 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:06 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:59 pm Marchant had been speaking to Sarries as he was pretty keen to go back to London, which was the same as Sam Spink who has now signed with Sarries. To be fair, Tom Whiteley commutes up from North London every day so it can be done if he is prepared to do so.
Complete aside - do many of the current Tigers players commute far for training or do most live locally?
Borthwick has never moved from Bath, Sinfield stayed around Oldham close to the Ford clan I heard. Mike Brown still keeps his home in London, and I’m sure I read that Wigglesworth continued to live in Cheshire even while at Sarries. Don’t think Watson has ever moved to Leicester
Fairly sure Borthwick and and family moved to the midlands when he was with us. Seem to remember him mentioning them settling into Schools etc well when he joined.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:28 pm

Sadly I agree, the last interview that I heard with him did not sound promising bearing in mind that he could not even sit down to do it. Like you, I really hope for a full recovery but fear that this may not be the case.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:26 pm
sk 88 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:20 pm
LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:35 pm

Any idea why or where he’s off to?
Bristol.
I heard and unsubstantiated rumour that Bristol are after Sam Edwards as well.
I've heard Edwards to Bristol as well. Cusick and Koroyoidi possibly to Ealing.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:05 am
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:26 pm
sk 88 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:20 pm

Bristol.
I heard and unsubstantiated rumour that Bristol are after Sam Edwards as well.
I've heard Edwards to Bristol as well. Cusick and Koroyoidi possibly to Ealing.
We need an 8/6. Why would we let Koroiyadi go?! Especially after we let Chester Owen go from the academy and he looked the more promising ball carrier.
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

We need an 8/6. Why would we let Koroiyadi go?! Especially after we let Chester Owen go from the academy and he looked the more promising ball carrier.
We have Carnduff/Manz @6. We have Beets @8. I don't see where Koroiyadi fits anymore.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

albany wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:00 pm
We have Carnduff/Manz @6. We have Beets @8. I don't see where Koroiyadi fits anymore.
With Wiese off, Cracknell and Rogerson not really fulfilling what we need, there is definitely room in the squad for a promising number 8.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LekkerTigers wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:40 pm
albany wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:00 pm
With Wiese off, Cracknell and Rogerson not really fulfilling what we need, there is definitely room in the squad for a promising number 8.
Perhaps he's not deemed to be good enough?

Not everyone who enters the Tigers academy is going to make it to Premiership standard.

Is Koroiyadi better than Cracknell or Rogerson? Clearly not.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

I'd like to keep Koroiyadi if possible, but if he's not good enough, he's not good enough. Can't keep everyone.

The stick Cracknell and Rogerson get on here is so overblown it is unreal.

Just to add, Chester Owen i believe suffered multiple concussions in a short space of time, which was a contributing factor to him leaving.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The stick Cracknell and Rogerson get on here is so overblown it is unreal.

This. Cracknell was one of our best players according to many v Leinster. Rogerson has never let the side down
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I'd sooner have Cracknell and Rogerson than a lot of previous players #nonamesnopackdrill :smt023
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:39 pm The stick Cracknell and Rogerson get on here is so overblown it is unreal.

This. Cracknell was one of our best players according to many v Leinster. Rogerson has never let the side down
Totally agree - Cracknell was one of our better players v Leinster - carried hard and made some very effective hits. I also like Rogerson and would be disappointed to see either of them leave
Hehehehehehehehe
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

they are good players but if keeping them meant losing someone like Carnduff who has the potential to be better I think I'd lean towards letting them go, rather keep them though.

I wonder what's going to happen with Illione too, when he starts his doctor training he's going to be really busy and how that will affect his training and availability for us, at some point we may have to make a hard call with him