LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:04 pm I don’t have your stats access but I’m certain he has started at 10 for the Canes going back a few seasons though
Admittedly it could be my memory
https://all.rugby/player/jordie-barrett

Like Steward he came through the school system as a 10 and 12 though
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Stephen18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:05 pm Random thought. If Billy V is moving to Montpellier would it be worth a quiet chat with Sam Simmonds to see if he fancied an England return.
Not everyone cup of tea I know but prolific try scorer and invariably gets over the game line
I think I mentioned Simmons when billy was announced, as I thought he was about the closest like for like of weise, but people said he would still in contract so would need to be bought out of it, and was probably on quite a high wage, and if you waited a season then their were possibly a number of other young 8 going to be available inc Cunningham-south, barberry, t Willis, mercer. So the club where going to deal with what they’ve got for a season then either sign someone then or see how the young 8 was getting on.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:01 pm Has our academy been the worse in terms of wing production?
Looking at saints Slightholme, Freeman, Hendy all rapid, We just seem to struggle getting Wingers from academy to first team.

Even Simmons wasn't a winger in age grade.

Hopefully Satala and Kinder both live up to promise.
I may be wrong but I’m sure I remember once one of the commentators say Freeman was originally in our academy and we released him, but I feel like we don’t develop backs aswell in our academy as we are a forwards focused team, as where saints are a backs focused teams so they don’t develop the forwards we do.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:27 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:01 pm Has our academy been the worse in terms of wing production?
Looking at saints Slightholme, Freeman, Hendy all rapid, We just seem to struggle getting Wingers from academy to first team.

Even Simmons wasn't a winger in age grade.

Hopefully Satala and Kinder both live up to promise.
I may be wrong but I’m sure I remember once one of the commentators say Freeman was originally in our academy and we released him, but I feel like we don’t develop backs aswell in our academy as we are a forwards focused team, as where saints are a backs focused teams so they don’t develop the forwards we do.
Wikipedia says we released him at 16
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

We've had a few former academy backs go on to establish themselves at other clubs.

Lewington one of the most obvious. Purdy. Perry Humphries. Charlie Walker. Will Hurrell. All in the two positions we've really struggled to bring players through.

36 as well but he was bit of a different case as he was making waves in the first XV before leaving.

Woodward could be the first centre to properly come through since Manu. Wing's been even more barren.

Forwards and scrum-half have generally been prolific on the other hand.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am not sure who could argue that we have not looked better with Shilcock at 15 and the problem of what to do with Steward will need someone with a better understanding than me. If it was my decision, I would not play him in the center as I don't think his distribution skills are not what I want AT PRESENT. He is a strong runner but rarely has shown a swerve or side step at all and rarely passes the ball. As a full back, I can accept that the straight run or kick are important skills, but a center needs more in his armory for me. Steward has not got these AT PRESENT. I would play him on the wing and hope to develop the skills for him to play in the center at the premiership level.
Hehehehehehehehe
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:44 pm Barrett is the often cited example but this is a player who has played for the Canes at 10, not sure about New Zealand, and has a much greater all round skill set than Steward at this stage of his career.
As Tiglon says Steward on the wing makes more sense, in an attacking sense if he gets the ball when he is already moving one of his big strengths is his strength in contact.

We will have to wait and see as far as I know the only place this has been muted on here
Sam Warburton devoted a whole, shortish article a week or 2 ago to moving Freddie to 12, citing Jamie Roberts and another whose name I've forgotten as similar examples. Yes he'd need to develop some different skills, but he's probably going to have to do that if he remains at FB.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

There are posters in both camps regarding Steward, as it should be.
Warburton piece has been mentioned and obviously on here, I do wonder if it’s ever been discussed at club or county level.
Using Jordie Barrett as an example, he is now primarily a 12 for the Canes and New Zealand, though 15 is I believe the position he has played most at.
My question would be if he were to move, would that then become his primary position, assuming he is not going to loose how to play 15, or would he stay 15/wing with 12 being an option
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:08 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:05 pm Random thought. If Billy V is moving to Montpellier would it be worth a quiet chat with Sam Simmonds to see if he fancied an England return.
Not everyone cup of tea I know but prolific try scorer and invariably gets over the game line
I think I mentioned Simmons when billy was announced, as I thought he was about the closest like for like of weise, but people said he would still in contract so would need to be bought out of it, and was probably on quite a high wage, and if you waited a season then their were possibly a number of other young 8 going to be available inc Cunningham-south, barberry, t Willis, mercer. So the club where going to deal with what they’ve got for a season then either sign someone then or see how the young 8 was getting on.
Does anyone know how Simmonds has got on in France? He may be in the shadow of his predecessor, and Montpellier signing a replacement for him doesn’t look like a too much of an endorsement.

That said, if Borthwick is going to keep Earl at 8 then his face may fit better with the national side. Which might tempt him back across the channel.

Also not sure that Hanro and Tommy are quite the heavies (Ewers and Kirsten) that Exeter used to pair him with.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:33 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:08 pm
Does anyone know how Simmonds has got on in France? He may be in the shadow of his predecessor, and Montpellier signing a replacement for him doesn’t look like a too much of an endorsement.

That said, if Borthwick is going to keep Earl at 8 then his face may fit better with the national side. Which might tempt him back across the channel.

Also not sure that Hanro and Tommy are quite the heavies (Ewers and Kirsten) that Exeter used to pair him with.
We would have to change our attack significantly or be looking at using players elsewhere in the side to do a lot more direct carrying to facilitate Simmonds. He wore 8 for Chiefs but was often their link man in attack, a sort of hybrid 7/8.

No idea how he's doing at Montpellier but they are having an awful season. Big changes in their squad for next season. Adding some weight in BillyV doesn't necessarily mean Simmonds will be benched. Simmonds could move to the flank or BillyV could move forward into lock. The French clubs do like a big ball carrying lock that adds weight at scrum time and who lifts or carries off of the lineout as opposed to jumping. Meafou, Willemse, Tuilagi etc.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Some excellent points made re Simmonds.
Montpellier currently down in 13th in the top 14 so in danger of relegation.
Ulster beat them comfortably at home in the challenge cup and watching the highlights I didn’t notice Simmonds.
Point was made during the Toulouse game that the French clubs have such big squads that it’s not unusual to have quality cover in any position.

I wonder if we will see any announcements with no game for 2 weeks
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

For those in the know, do we have any relationship with Nottingham University. Couple of highlights reels popped up on YouTube including Freddie Vaughan who looks like a decent centre
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:23 pm For those in the know, do we have any relationship with Nottingham University. Couple of highlights reels popped up on YouTube including Freddie Vaughan who looks like a decent centre
Rob Carmichael (before he went to Edinburgh) was playing there on loan from us
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugby Inside Line have treated a teaser about a Tigers transfer rumour being released by them at 8pm tonight.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:00 pm
Rugby Inside Line have treated a teaser about a Tigers transfer rumour being released by them at 8pm tonight.
What sort of treat are we expecting Kingy :smt046