Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Especially with Watson out I think that

11 OHC
14 Steward
15 Shillcock

Is our best back 3 combo...

Certainly with the way McKellar & Pollard like to play Shillcock at 15 gives a nice balance
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Post by sapajo »

We played some nice rugby but we need to turn opportunity into points something we still struggle to do against most teams. Leinster we're not great but they don't have to be to win as they take their chances that's the difference. Nice to see us up for the game and we must be for all the run in games. If we can get all our internationals back we are in the fight
Last edited by sapajo on Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wow, Gibson-Park has a strong Irish accent! :smt005
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

No question Tigers showed spirit and determination, and an increasing number of excellent plays. However they still fail to execute basics for 80 mins. Things like first up tackles, passes that the receiver can take without breaking stride, don't give away needless penalties....
Harley1850
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Harley1850 »

Yeah for a kiwi 🤣
I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway, you're on the same wavelength as the referees.
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

I can’t see how that ref can be allowed to take to the pitch with a whistle again any time soon.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:02 pm No question Tigers showed spirit and determination, and an increasing number of excellent plays. However they still fail to execute basics for 80 mins. Things like first up tackles, passes that the receiver can take without breaking stride, don't give away needless penalties....
Agree completely. For me 2 steps forward in attack but still can’t covert opportunities, 3 steps back in defence which was woeful at best. Will be interesting to see how many missed tackles.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

watsonjm wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:07 pm
drc_007 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:02 pm No question Tigers showed spirit and determination, and an increasing number of excellent plays. However they still fail to execute basics for 80 mins. Things like first up tackles, passes that the receiver can take without breaking stride, don't give away needless penalties....
Agree completely. For me 2 steps forward in attack but still can’t covert opportunities, 3 steps back in defence which was woeful at best. Will be interesting to see how many missed tackles.
Be getting amAussie defence coach, to assist the new Aussie coach then…
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:58 pm Kelly had his mojo back.

In defence I don't think Kelly and Kata work, but in attack tonight it worked really well.
Kelly's passing is such a point of difference, if he can bring that next season at 12 with Perese at 13 and Kata off the bench then watch out teams
+1 RB. I hope we can find the right space to allow this to work as it should be good next year!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If you come away from that complaining about the defence more than optimistic on the attack I feel you are potentially missing the bigger picture.

It's Leinster away missing arguably our two strongest defensive forwards in Martin and Reffell.
Like we know we can defend to a decent standard, in terms of points against in the prem we are the lowest.

The attack has been the biggest thing that has consistently been terrible this season. Today was the first time I felt that with nearly every attack we could make yards and create something. It wasn't always clinical but it's nice to be actually in those positions for a change. Do that against a prem team and we will finish them off imo.

Question will be can we do it in a game that has more meaning?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Just back from watching in the pub with no comms and not read any of this so no idea what anyone else thinks

I think

3 forward passes in Leinster moves leading to tries

3 deliberate knock ons that should have had yellows.. not given

A couple of scrum pens that should have gone the other way

Several errors in the red zone by Tigers

Several missed tackles by Tigers

A dreadful pass by OHC when a open try line

A game we could have one by one of tbe best teams in Europe

Great shame we couldn’t complete.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Can’t believe the amount of complaints about the ref by lots of posters on here, he wasn’t at his best as usually he is a top official, we all have bad games and today he made refereeing mistakes against both side but in no way did he favour any one side.
We lost not because of the referee but because we were not good enough.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Effort from the Tigers was excellent but the execution was often poor, panicky (look at OHC's butchered try). Confidence is the key. In our glory days, I remember Tigers being behind and the stadium being quiet. Johnno looked around, the fans perked up, the side perked up and the opposition trembled knowing what was coming. Given the closeness of the Premiership I'm doubtful we will ever get back to that level of dominance, at least, not for a few years.
However, we can seriously improve:
1 The quality of passing
2. Not overrunning the ball
3. Tackle completion rate

We were too much of 15 individuals too often tonight.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:16 pm Can’t believe the amount of complaints about the ref by lots of posters on here, he wasn’t at his best as usually he is a top official, we all have bad games and today he made refereeing mistakes against both side but in no way did he favour any one side.
We lost not because of the referee but because we were not good enough.
Exactly
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

mightymouse wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:15 pm Just back from watching in the pub with no comms and not read any of this so no idea what anyone else thinks

I think

3 forward passes in Leinster moves leading to tries

3 deliberate knock ons that should have had yellows.. not given

That’s about the sum of it for me.
A couple of scrum pens that should have gone the other way

Several errors in the red zone by Tigers

Several missed tackles by Tigers

A dreadful pass by OHC when a open try line

A game we could have one by one of tbe best teams in Europe

Great shame we couldn’t complete.