Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not sure what Whitcombe has done to prove at this stage of his career that he’s better than either Cronin or Van Wyk.

All this tosh about Mckellar not trusting youth
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Post by voice of the crumbie »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:17 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:48 am Anyone seen the Leinster team sheet?
Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)
15. Hugo Keenan (63)
14. Jordan Larmour (101)
13. Robbie Henshaw (85)
12. Jamie Osborne (40)
11. James Lowe (75)
10. Ross Byrne (155)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (135)
1. Andrew Porter (115)
2. Dan Sheehan (56)
3. Tadhg Furlong (140)
4. Ross Molony (175)
5. Joe McCarthy (29)
6. Ryan Baird (63)
7. Josh van der Flier (136)
8. Caelan Doris (76) CAPTAIN

Replacements:
16. Rónan Kelleher (56)
17. Cian Healy (272)
18. Michael Ala’alatoa (62)
19. Jason Jenkins (32)
20. Jack Conan (140)
21. Ben Murphy (11)
22. Harry Byrne (62)
23. Ciarán Frawley (80)
Thanks Oakham Tiger
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:45 am Not sure what Whitcombe has done to prove at this stage of his career that he’s better than either Cronin or Van Wyk.

You can flip that statement to say what have Cronin & Van Wyk done to get selected over Whitcombe.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:42 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:45 am Not sure what Whitcombe has done to prove at this stage of his career that he’s better than either Cronin or Van Wyk.

You can flip that statement to say what have Cronin & Van Wyk done to get selected over Whitcombe.
Precisely they are all very close and the coaches will go with what they see on the training paddock, and as others have mentioned Van Wyk has upped his game this season.

As for youth the presence of Hurd Carnduff Ilione and Cocanasinga on the bench would go against that.
But let’s not let selection get in the way of coach criticism
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Whitcombe is an interesting one as when he was understudying Genge he looked, not quite the heir apparent, but not far off.

As for youth on the bench today...not much option.

Bare minimum today is to make Leinster win the game.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

One of the factors in selecting Cracknell at 7 might be to add some more ballast to the back 5, given that Wells and Hatherell isn’t the biggest second row?

In DMK I trust.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:45 pm One of the factors in selecting Cracknell at 7 might be to add some more ballast to the back 5, given that Wells and Hatherell isn’t the biggest second row?

In DMK I trust.
I wish more people would. This talk of replacing him after less than a season is plain daft imo. There is a failure to see that success for clubs comes after time. Borthwick tenure was very much the exception
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:51 pm
No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:45 pm One of the factors in selecting Cracknell at 7 might be to add some more ballast to the back 5, given that Wells and Hatherell isn’t the biggest second row?

In DMK I trust.
I wish more people would. This talk of replacing him after less than a season is plain daft imo. There is a failure to see that success for clubs comes after time. Borthwick tenure was very much the exception
Absolutely agree: see Mark McCall, Rob Baxter, Johan Van Graan, and even Phil Dowson to an extent. They’ve all had their ups and downs.

The fact we are 3 points off the top 4, and clearly not firing on all cylinders, is a fairly decent showing for his first year. That’s not even a win, that’s a draw with a bonus point!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I just want to see progression,I've seen none tbh. In fact regression in some parts of our game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:00 pm I just want to see progression,I've seen none tbh. In fact regression in some parts of our game
We harp on about it but the lack of attack coach will not help. That hallowed game vs Newcastle in the premier cup probably points towards how DMK wants to play the game. Then not having players available for chunks and Injuries have not helped. Players not quite on form after a long mental slog of World Cup duty also will play its part.

Yes the game isn't quite there for Tigers and we have been frustrating to watch but we are still in with a shout. After all that to still be there is a good sign.

I'm sure we were equally frustrated when Borthwick sent teams to the slaughter almost in that first year to find out the players. DMK doesn't quite have that luxury - but will not doubt have learnt a lot about players in patches this season.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:00 pm I just want to see progression,I've seen none tbh. In fact regression in some parts of our game
Progression within the season? Progression from the season prior? Progression from the first season of the last coaching team?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can anyone point me out any progression full stop please?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:28 pm Can anyone point me out any progression full stop please?
Sorry, I truly wish I could but I cannot so hopefully some folks will be able to.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Have some supporters, not RunTigerRun, forgotten the first season under Borthwick: truly awful and the season up to Christmas when Borthwick left we had some atrocious performances at home and I remember being at Sarries thinking what the hell is going on when by half time we were getting thrashed and looked totally inept and by early in the second half Burns went off then Pollard so things got even worse!
Factor in the World Cup then all the players out injured and there’s been no chance yet for any continuity! Henderson has been a huge loss and Martin and Chessum have played the least club games of any of the other club’s internationals. Heyes too came back from England and struggled as he’ d had no game time which at his age he needs. Yes, some will say “excuses, excuses,” but Dan is an honest coach, knows the Tigers have been struggling all season and the other problem has been with a continuously long injury list training has been badly affected.
The other thing against us tonight is the length of last week’s heroics!
Could get to Leinster but we’ll done to all those who have.
Nothing to lose so just play your best and no matter what lots of us will be at Franklin’s’ Gardens to cheer you lads on!
Last edited by Ian Cant on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well said RunTigerRun!