Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I actually think we’ve a chance against Saints away. But to get a result we need the likes of Martin, Chessum, Reffell firing on all cylinders. So glad we’ve not risked them.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leinster mind games begin? - Champions Cup (A) - Saturday 06th April 2024 - KO:8:00pm

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:27 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:19 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:14 pm

And neither was anywhere near their best especially Reffell who was no where near his best. They also could have made any issues worse. Very easy to read into things that aren’t there, and also why would Mckellar lie, his latest statement was they were touch and go and that the 6 nations hadn’t done them any favours
Who said he was lying ? The comms could be better. I'm disappointed that we're not sending our gun 23. I'm still annoyed that we've actually drawn Leinster again.

if they're injured then fine, I have no reason to dispute that. Every player in Europe is battered at this time of the season, carrying knocks etc. It's a case of managing contract/training and patching up for game day. Obviously not in 3 of our international's cases, which leads me to believe that their injuries are worse than just the normal week to week niggles. For these 3 players, who are at the start of their club careers, it's a worry.
Don’t get why everything that isn’t totally explainable is a worry, but that’s your opinion. It could be just not recovering as quickly as hoped, look at JVP.
Realistically Saints beat Munster and have another European game, we loose have a week off and have a fully fit firing squad in 2 weeks. Sometimes coaches have to make hard calls

I’m also unsure why you’re annoyed we’ve drawn Leinster again that’s just how the pools worked out, it wasn’t pre determined
The annoyance with playing Leinster again is more one across much of this round as a significant number of the match ups are simply repeats of pool stage matches. Our reward for getting out of the pool of death is to play it again. A simple approach of winner of pool A plays lowest qualifier of pool D etc would allow for no repeat fixtures and perhaps a more varied round of matches.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

watsonjm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:35 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:23 pm If we are within 20 points at the final whistle I would take that.
Once Tommy went off at WR it was game over.

Few round pegs in square holes in that starting XV.
Such as
Freddie on the wing
Hatherell in second row
Kelly at 13
They’re all playing in positions they’ve played in before on numerous occasions. That hardly makes them round pegs in square holes. People were pushing for Shilcock at 15 what are you going to do with Steward drop him completely. Hatherall was great in the row v Quins all of sudden he’s out of position.
People are either getting their excuses in early or the woe is me the world is against us brigade are out again. What did Brown call them pot holes.
Mckellar will have picked the best fittest squad he can let’s get behind them
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:41 pm

Such as
Freddie on the wing
Hatherell in second row
Kelly at 13
They’re all playing in positions they’ve played in before on numerous occasions. That hardly makes them round pegs in square holes. People were pushing for Shilcock at 15 what are you going to do with Steward drop him completely. Hatherall was great in the row v Quins all of sudden he’s out of position.
People are either getting their excuses in early or the woe is me the world is against us brigade are out again. What did Brown call them pot holes.
I don't disagree that its the best team available.

But regardless of how often they've played there Freddie isn't a winger (i would have dropped him if Shilcock is at 15), Hatherall isnt a 4/5 and Kelly isn't a 13.

No excuses needed. We're going to get humped I just hope they can keep it under 50
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:23 pm If we are within 20 points at the final whistle I would take that.
Once Tommy went off at WR it was game over.

Few round pegs in square holes in that starting XV.
Such as
Freddie on the wing
Hatherell in second row
Kelly at 13
Cracknell @7
That centre partnership doesn't look right.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Does Cokanasiga on the bench smack of desperation or a valedictory slot?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TiltonTiger wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:17 pm Does Cokanasiga on the bench smack of desperation or a valedictory slot?
Or Scott and Porter aren’t deemed match ready, so possibly neither
TMC

Post by TMC »

Not a jock wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:27 am
jgriffin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:56 am I don't know why many teams bother when you end up playing 90% of the current 2nd in the world squad. Never been a level playing field.
According to Wikipedia, England has five times more adult male players than Ireland. All other things being equal (and that's not necessarily true), if Ireland has one super club, two top flight clubs and a development club, with England's player base you'd expect it to have five super clubs, ten top flight clubs and two development clubs. England doesn't appear to have one stand out club (any more) but does have ten Premier Clubs. The development clubs could be two of the Championship teams (Ealing and ANOther?).

If the IRU can support its one super club, why can't the RFU support five? - it might have more revenue than the IRU but I doubt it's five times more. Perhaps the RFU dreads the prospect of a semi-autonomous super club?

Did the Irish refuse to participate before they got their act together? - no - and it was Munster who led the way. Do the Welsh boycott it as they've never won anything and don't look like doing so anytime soon. Same for Scotland and Italy.
Somewhat revisionist. Ulster won the first Irish Heineken in 1999. Before professionalism despite all the mythology and guff written since about Munster, Ulster were by far and away the standout team in Ireland in the run up to professionalism, evidenced by the fact they won the interprovincial championship for ten years in a row in the 80's/90's.

Leinster are largely home developed. For all the strength of the schoolboy game in Leinster and it is very strong, they are only allowed the same academy intake as the other provinces. The output of the other provincial academies has been poor relative to Leinster for the last few seasons, this has lead to a disproportionate Leinster representation in the Irish team over the last couple of years. The other provincial academies are starting to catch up and the proportion will change over the next couple of years as there has been relatively more Ulster, Munster & Connacht presence in the Irish U20 teams for the last couple of years. In fairness to Leinster the relative underperformance of the other provincial academies in terms of producing internationals is not Leinster's fault.

Safe travels to those coming over, bring your rain gear. Congratulations to Church who will equal the competition appearance record if he comes on tomorrow.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

GB72 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:40 pm The annoyance with playing Leinster again is more one across much of this round as a significant number of the match ups are simply repeats of pool stage matches. Our reward for getting out of the pool of death is to play it again. A simple approach of winner of pool A plays lowest qualifier of pool D etc would allow for no repeat fixtures and perhaps a more varied round of matches.
This ^^
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:27 pm Don’t get why everything that isn’t totally explainable is a worry, but that’s your opinion. It could be just not recovering as quickly as hoped, look at JVP.
Realistically Saints beat Munster and have another European game, we loose have a week off and have a fully fit firing squad in 2 weeks. Sometimes coaches have to make hard calls
I’m also unsure why you’re annoyed we’ve drawn Leinster again that’s just how the pools worked out, it wasn’t pre determined
Wow...ok, let's put it another way .......I'm wondering now, given the 3 aforementioned players, namely Reffell, Chessum and Martin, are not in the squad for the Leinster game, if they are now doubtful for the Saints game. That's just what I think, as, in a game of this magnitude, you'd want your best players on the field. The fact that they aren't there leads me to believe that they're worse than just battered. My definition of battered, if you really want to know is....players have niggles at this time of the season, but a light training week and some physio etc, they can be patched up and play 60+ minutes - most players are going through this now. So, if those 3 can't fit into that definition above, then my thinking is a) they're injured and may not be back for Saints, even though it's 2 weeks away or b) we don't want to risk them, in case their niggles lead to something that stops them playing at Franklins Gardens.

My thoughts on drawing Leinster again were expertly explained by GB72. I can still be annoyed about it. I wasn't a few weeks ago but now the game is on the horizon, it's irked me somewhat !!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

watsonjm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:44 pm

Freddie on the wing
Hatherell in second row
Kelly at 13

But regardless of how often they've played there Freddie isn't a winger (i would have dropped him if Shilcock is at 15), Hatherall isnt a 4/5 and Kelly isn't a 13.

No excuses needed. We're going to get humped I just hope they can keep it under 50
But what fit alternatives would you have?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:56 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:27 pm Don’t get why everything that isn’t totally explainable is a worry, but that’s your opinion. It could be just not recovering as quickly as hoped, look at JVP.
Wow...ok, let's put it another way .......I'm wondering now, given the 3 aforementioned players, namely Reffell, Chessum and Martin, are not in the squad for the Leinster game, if they are now doubtful for the Saints game. That's just what I think, as, in a game of this magnitude, you'd want your best players on the field. The fact that they aren't there leads me to believe that they're worse than just battered. My definition of battered, if you really want to know is....players have niggles at this time of the season, but a light training week and some physio etc, they can be patched up and play 60+ minutes - most players are going through this now. So, if those 3 can't fit into that definition above, then my thinking is a) they're injured and may not be back for Saints, even though it's 2 weeks away or b) we don't want to risk them, in case their niggles lead to something that stops them playing at Franklins Gardens.

My thoughts on drawing Leinster again were expertly explained by GB72. I can still be annoyed about it. I wasn't a few weeks ago but now the game is on the horizon, it's irked me somewhat !!
Again your opinion, you have no facts to back that up, much as mine is my opinion, unless you have access to the goings on at Oval Park. And your answer yo being annoyed about something which is so random that a couple of scores or results could have changed it, is to change the whole rules of the competition, which have been in place since before the competition started. I agree it isn’t ideal but name a format that is
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:58 pm
watsonjm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:44 pm

But what fit alternatives would you have?
Just a thought that playing Steward in the 14 shirt could be an attempt to negate Lowe’s impact especially in the air and physically
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:12 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:56 pm

Again your opinion, you have no facts to back that up, much as mine is my opinion, unless you have access to the goings on at Oval Park. And your answer yo being annoyed about something which is so random that a couple of scores or results could have changed it, is to change the whole rules of the competition, which have been in place since before the competition started. I agree it isn’t ideal but name a format that is
Many of the formats of this very competition that we have had in the past that have been thrown out and, in my opinion, made the spectacle worse over the last few years. Home and away pool matches followed by top of each pool playing lowest qualifier in another seemed to work superbly for a number of years.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:12 pm Again your opinion, you have no facts to back that up, much as mine is my opinion, unless you have access to the goings on at Oval Park. And your answer yo being annoyed about something which is so random that a couple of scores or results could have changed it, is to change the whole rules of the competition, which have been in place since before the competition started. I agree it isn’t ideal but name a format that is
Have I missed something ? Surely every post on this forum that has ever been made is based on opinion unless, like you say someone has a contact at the training ground or within the club ? Even then it could be complete rubbish. My view is my view, I've tried to lay out what I think the options might be, if you don't agree with it then you seem to have this bizarre way of wondering why it was even posted in the first place !! Just skip my posts, doesn't bother me either way. Believe me, I gloss over plenty of what's put on here.

You agree the format isn't ideal, I can still be annoyed about it.