Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Post by Ian Cant »

With all the disruption Tigers have had it’s not an excuse but a reality that with our awful luck with injuries and international call ups we were always going to struggle to get any continuity! Watching the players walk round the pitch to applaud and talk to us who went was a huge testament to them as their faces( particularly the forwards) showed the battering ( not all legal) they’d taken to dig out the win.
Of all the matches our game was affected the worse by the awful weather before kick off so both teams did well to catch the ball as well as they did.
I don’t think we will beat Leinster, look at yesterday’s result v Bulls but Tigers will give it a good crack. A win would be amazing but personally I’d rather get through it with no more injuries as with Cole, Reffel, Martin, Chessum and Heyes back we should have a chance of top 4 but our last 4 games are against teams that would, probably expect to win though Exeter were poor v Sale today!
4 ugly wins in the league will do for me!
Yes, lots to improve on in attack and defence but we are still in with a chance!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:59 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:48 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:11 pm What does this say about the league that we are still in with a shout?!

Its a world cup season
I mean if we are honest we've been really good in about 2,3 games max. The rest poor to middling with some dross mixed in
Agreed it brakes my heart to see us struggling to execute the basics of the game. It's the crunch end of our season and we must show up and perform to have any top 4 aspirations
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

We may be a bit disappointed by some of our performances but this league it tight. The teams from 2nd to 8th have all won 8 and lost 6 and of those teams Tigers have conceded the fewest points. We just need to score a few more.
I'm not cynical just experienced
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I’ve said that our first choice XV should be a match for most if not all so I’m hoping that the players have been a couple of percent off since the 6 Nations with thoughts of Leinster and Saints coming up.

The following hasn’t played so far so let’s see what we can do for the rest of the season.

Cronin Montoya Cole
Chessum Martin
Hanro Weiss Reffell
JVP Pollard
Kelly Kata
Bassett Steward OHC

Whitcombe Clare/FTT Heyes Wells Hatherall YBY Scott Shillcock

You can argue subs (maybe more likely a 6:2 split instead) and whether Scott plays or steward plays wing and Shillcock at FB but that is what I think is our best XV

If that team gets smashed in Dublin and by Saints then we can expect little from the rest of the season.

I remain optimistic despite everything and actually think we’ll be within a score with 20 to go in Dublin but in the end their greater strength in depth will see them through but that we can nick a win at Saints assuming we don’t have a load of injuries from Leinster.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Be very tempting to play a mix n match side for Leinster game and focus on the Prem. Tough one for the coach. Pick a full strength team. Get hosed. Pick up a couple of injuries. Weakened for Saints game.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Goshengareth wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:45 am Be very tempting to play a mix n match side for Leinster game and focus on the Prem. Tough one for the coach. Pick a full strength team. Get hosed. Pick up a couple of injuries. Weakened for Saints game.
It's worth noting that Leinster have a number of injuries/injury concerns. It may well be a mix and match Leinster side. Now that won't stop it being strong but we should definitely have a crack. Imagine the morale boost it would give the players to dump out Leinster and avenge some of those hefty losses they've handed us.

It'd also be a cash boost to get through to the next round.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:13 am
Goshengareth wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:45 am Be very tempting to play a mix n match side for Leinster game and focus on the Prem. Tough one for the coach. Pick a full strength team. Get hosed. Pick up a couple of injuries. Weakened for Saints game.
It's worth noting that Leinster have a number of injuries/injury concerns. It may well be a mix and match Leinster side.
I suspect this is the usual Leinster way "player x is doubtful, player y is 50/50" then come the day of the race, they are at full strength. Given it's nearing the end of the season, we could probably say the same, given the amount of niggles that the players are no doubt carrying.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:16 am
It's worth noting that Leinster have a number of injuries/injury concerns. It may well be a mix and match Leinster side.
I suspect this is the usual Leinster way "player x is doubtful, player y is 50/50" then come the day of the race, they are at full strength. Given it's nearing the end of the season, we could probably say the same, given the amount of niggles that the players are no doubt carrying.
Could well be. Leinster have a knack for having all the big names available for knock out rugby.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/68708573
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

It's worth noting that Leinster have a number of injuries/injury concerns. It may well be a mix and match Leinster side. Now that won't stop it being strong but we should definitely have a crack. Imagine the morale boost it would give the players to dump out Leinster and avenge some of those hefty losses they've handed us.

It'd also be a cash boost to get through to the next round.
Yes I suppose it helps pay the fines the present Directors inherited! :smt013 :smt018
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!