LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:31 pm Sounds like the cap is only going up a season then back down potentially.

If so it does make you wonder if this player limit will actually come in.
If it's going up for one season, what's the point? (Not having a go at you at all, by the way) It's only going to put the clubs in more of a pickle in season after and onwards?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:51 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:31 pm Sounds like the cap is only going up a season then back down potentially.

If it's going up for one season, what's the point? (Not having a go at you at all, by the way) It's only going to put the clubs in more of a pickle in season after and onwards?
the point is the game is run by clowns
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

In answer to Raging Bull's question for me Kata is a great player but I do not think him as creative at 12 as Kelly who has not performed as well at 13 as he did at inside centre. We have signed Pereze who I have watched with interest in three matches recently and I have yet to see anything that makes me think him.more than a squad player. I admit I could b wrong as his team are giving him little opportunity to shine but I do wonder just what part of his game is better than Porter or for that matter Cokanasiga who has been given little game time.
I want my team to be the best, to do that we must make our own produced players the best they can possibly be and by signing players that are better than or have the potential to be better than those already on our books.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:05 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:51 pm

the point is the game is run by clowns
I think clowns would be disgusted to be compared to the RFU/PRL.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Kelly hasn't really played well at 12 since his injury in the title winning season, given our issues on the wing Kata at 14 is becoming a bigger option but with the need to get Shillcock into the side in support of Pollard I would think Steward would slide over to the wing
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

If the rumoured outgoings are true I’m glad that it seems the club are being a bit more ruthless on letting players go.

Dolly for example. Fantastic player but has only played twice this season and last. We’ve now got FTT and Vanes coming through who could both be special.

Same with Cokansiga. Why keep a player around when we’ve Woodward who again could be something special in the future.

I do think some people are a bit harsh on Whiteley. Whenever I’ve seen him play I think he’s good for a third choice 9. He’s also very good in defence and adds something there.

I hope next season we get our attack sorted, because player wise there really shouldn’t be any excuses.

JVP - one of the best in the league
Pollard - one of the best in the league
Kata / Kelly / Perese / Porter - iffy form wise but I can’t think of four better centres collectively at one club
OHC - been a season to settle in but if used properly one of the best in the league. I know he was out injured for a little bit and seems to be running at 90%. Hopefully he’ll be firing on all cylinders
Steward / Shilcock - two great options and could shift Steward to 14 to accommodate both

When it comes to DMK. Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt this season. But there really shouldn’t be any excuses for 24/25 and am expecting big things.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

When it comes to 9's we should bare in mind YBY could retire at anytime, for me Whiteley isn't good enough to be a 3rd choice let alone a 2nd choice.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I think that's wishful thinking from some people. You cannot really cut the cap because teams have made plans and signed contracts, with all the nonsense about 75% carrying value the "cut" cap hardly reduced expenditure anyway. A cap frozen for getting for 7 years (think it hit £6.4m in 2017/18) is quite a reduction in "real terms" that politicians love to use.

The cap is a bit of a non-issue anyway, every club is spending the cap again on the rest of their staff then the same again on general costs. They can always reduce those costs if they're that bothered about saving money.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:59 pm When it comes to 9's we should bare in mind YBY could retire at anytime, for me Whiteley isn't good enough to be a 3rd choice let alone a 2nd choice.

Agreed he is possibly the worst 9 I have ever seen in a Tigers shirt and that speaks volumes on our recruitment and retention.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

sapajo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:29 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:59 pm When it comes to 9's we should bare in mind YBY could retire at anytime, for me Whiteley isn't good enough to be a 3rd choice let alone a 2nd choice.

Agreed he is possibly the worst 9 I have ever seen in a Tigers shirt and that speaks volumes on our recruitment and retention.
Well he was better than the other 9 we had post WC whose name escapes me already
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:32 pm

Well he was better than the other 9 we had post WC whose name escapes me already
Joe Powell is his name but at least he could pass and box kick
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I am excited to see Ollie Allan next season he looks the real deal to me...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

sapajo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:45 pm

He literally couldn’t though - his “performance” in that bath game lives long in the memory
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:37 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:45 pm

He literally couldn’t though - his “performance” in that bath game lives long in the memory
Bristol was the worse performance from Powell.

Bath he made 2 mistakes both led to points from Bath...

Powell also earnt us the penultimate penalty that helped keep us in that game
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Players have good games and bad games. They are in and out of squads for whatever reason the coach sees fit. So the only constant is the coach. Therefore he/she is the one with the most chance of making a difference by providing a game plan and direction. I'm hoping a recognisable one will emerge soon.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!