Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Post by sapajo »

anz3001 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:18 pm
sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 pm Saints are going to marmalise us I am so frustrated over how poor we play. Newcastle like Gloucester are in a different attacking stratosphere and Smith great servant that he is clearly is not an attack coach. We were badly struggling at scrum time against nobody's and that is a massive concern. Whiteley is unfit to be a Tigers XV
Have you ever enjoyed rugby?
Yes, but not this season at Tigers and I have been a season ticket holder for 15 years so I know just how poor we are now as unlike you I am not an Ostrich
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

We should have beaten Glos last week no question about it.. and what is crazy is had we done that we would be second now!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 pm We should have beaten Glos last week no question about it.. and what is crazy is had we done that we would be second now!
But we didn’t, because we’re trash and should be looking for a(nother) new head coach.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

By the way, nice to have Jamie Lyall on comms for a change. Might be my favourite current commentator.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

anz3001 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 pm We should have beaten Glos last week no question about it.. and what is crazy is had we done that we would be second now!
But we didn’t, because we’re trash and should be looking for a(nother) new head coach.
It’s a tough ask trying to rebuild after losing Borthwick, Sinfield and Walters.. massive shoes to fill and a big hole left in the team.. I wouldn’t be so quick to throw the coaching staff under the bus personally.. the last few weeks haven’t been good enough but were it not for a late Glos score we would be sat second and things would look a whole lot different..

A massive amount of work to be done no question a do time will tell but I don’t underestimate the magnitude of the task DMK and co are faced with
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We keep winning and confidence will grow, losing is a bad habit, I'll always take a win, however badly we play, seems to me some players are trying to hard and not playing to their own strengths and abilities. With less games they have less time to put it right. Next week is a nothing to lose game in Dublin, let them go out there and try a few things, it has worked in the past.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:43 pm
anz3001 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 pm
It’s a tough ask trying to rebuild after losing Borthwick, Sinfield and Walters.. massive shoes to fill and a big hole left in the team.. I wouldn’t be so quick to throw the coaching staff under the bus personally.. the last few weeks haven’t been good enough but were it not for a late Glos score we would be sat second and things would look a whole lot different..

A massive amount of work to be done no question a do time will tell but I don’t underestimate the magnitude of the task DMK and co are faced with
I agree entirely, was just being facetious towards the doom brigade.

It’s fine to point out we’ve been poor the past 3 weeks but I’ll never understand the mentality of those that are nothing but constantly negative.

For what it’s worth, I feel there’s been a mentality issue towards these 3 games, I think we (the team) went in expecting easy wins.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:43 pmthe last few weeks haven’t been good enough but were it not for a late Glos score we would be sat second and things would look a whole lot different..
If we had managed to kill off both games, as we had plenty of chances to, instead of fluffing our lines and giving the opposition encouragement to attack our revolving door defence (not including the efforts in last 20 odd minutes tonight - more v Glaws), then neither Glaws last week, or Falcons tonight would have had the opportunities that they had. Glaws took theirs last week, tonight I believe we stopped Falcons, at the death, from taking theirs, but it took a huge effort.

We're not sat second and things look very samey, albeit we are not out of contention for a playoff spot - yet.

Give it a go in the no-lose Dublin saloon next week, no-one expects anything but a resounding home win so, whilst highly unlikely, let's go to try things and upset Molly Malone's cart or we might as well do as MOC did in Castres, send an under strength team with the excuse of focusing on the prem, resting 'stars' and avoiding injuries (no please don't do that - Castres away was highly embarrassing..).
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Great to get the win under somewhat farcical circumstances thanks to Dickson and true grit was shown but that’s pretty much it in terms of positives to be brutally honest! The team looks very lost in terms of a game plan and specifically look very lost in attack! We do create some half openings but fail to capitalise on them the majority of the time! I’m dumbfounded that such a great back line with internationals all over it can look so average!

My other concern is with mckellar! The core of this team has stayed relatively in tact from the borthwick era and under him these players looked clinical aggressive and more importantly looked like they understood the game plan inside out but under mckellar we have gone backwards and that’s what worries me would another coach get more out of this team as we know the players are very very capable
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

If McKellar is telling the players to throw wild passes, carry so you’re isolated, kick aimlessly or give away silly penalties then he should go. The reality is, these are relatively experienced players making errors and bad decisions that bring the opposition back into the game, week after week. Gritty win but need to be a whole lot better.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

amazing tiger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:05 pm Great to get the win under somewhat farcical circumstances thanks to Dickson and true grit was shown but that’s pretty much it in terms of positives to be brutally honest! The team looks very lost in terms of a game plan and specifically look very lost in attack! We do create some half openings but fail to capitalise on them the majority of the time! I’m dumbfounded that such a great back line with internationals all over it can look so average!

My other concern is with mckellar! The core of this team has stayed relatively in tact from the borthwick era and under him these players looked clinical aggressive and more importantly looked like they understood the game plan inside out but under mckellar we have gone backwards and that’s what worries me would another coach get more out of this team as we know the players are very very capable
Very worrying indeed, when I listen to his interviews I detect arrogance - also think he is allowing players to be unfit, amble to line outs etc - under Steve they always seems to have intent, which puts opponents on the back foot, we have become submissive.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Just watching it back, Dickson was desperate to bin some of our players towards the end, he was far to pally and chatty all game with the Newcastle players in a way he wasn't with ours. Which at the least isn't a good look.

We need to find a way to have Shillcock and Pollard in the team together. Pollard needs that second playmaker.

We had the ball with 1 min on the clock why kick it away?
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I agree with most of the criticism of the team, however, it's worth acknowledging...

In all my years watching rugby I can't ever recall a team holding out when 15 vs. 12. But we did! Miraculous! And for young Finn to come up with the ball at the end was a wonderful moment.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Just received a text from a Gloucester mate stating 23 penalties and 3 yellow cards, same old Tigers continually cheating to get a win.
Trouble is you can’t disagree with him which is a sad indictment of how we played last night.
Dreading next week, could be embarrassing.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

We've so far lost to the bottom but one team and struggled to beat the bottom team in consecutive weeks. The latter not having had a prem victory in quite some time. Despite all the pedigree of our players, something isn't quite right :smt017. We used to finish games strongly, now it seems we're desperately hanging on.
Optimistically, I hope we might get our act together and push on, but I fear that we are going to end up in the bottom half of the table this year. What's the score going to be when we play teams at the other end of the table?!