JVP

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

JVP

Post by Old Hob »

In an interview on the BBC, JvP outlines why he has been off for so long. 4 months was the prediction for the ankle injury, and so it proved. But, 1 week before his return he damaged a hamstring, and when that was nearly mended - he did it again, only this time , more seriously.

Poor lad. At least he's back now and we can hope for great things.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68682802
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: JVP

Post by MCC1964 »

And Player of the Match tonight.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10 pm And Player of the Match tonight.
He is a class player and cream always rises to the top. If he could have done 80mins last night we would not have had to endure that extra 19mins
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He certainly showed why we will lose him to England again!
Serious gas and an eye for space.

It's what we do outside him and Pollard. No structure or offloading.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Yes well deserved but I believe he was pulled off too early, ( had we not had Leinster next week) as he got the line moving and Whitely was caught several times & penalised.
JVP to start v Leinster and Lenny on the bench.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:43 pm
Yes well deserved but I believe he was pulled off too early, ( had we not had Leinster next week) as he got the line moving and Whitely was caught several times & penalised.
Whiteley is a liability he costs us more points than he gives us. Why the heck we re-signed him who only knows we must be desperate
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Mitchell and JVP will serve England very well if they can stay fit: bit like the competition between Dawson, Bracken and in the early days of their careers Youngs and Care.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Add in Quirke too, who if he can stay fit I actually think could be better than both. Either way you’ve got three quality 9s.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

As I said on the match thread, The MOM to JVP was a joke, the Newcastle SC was far better, JVP took his try nicely, but he dithers so much when he eventually gets to the breakdown all impetus is lost.
He may not be a very naughty boy but he sure ain't the messiah!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

BengalTiger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:57 pm As I said on the match thread, The MOM to JVP was a joke, the Newcastle SC was far better, JVP took his try nicely, but he dithers so much when he eventually gets to the breakdown all impetus is lost.
He may not be a very naughty boy but he sure ain't the messiah!
As the person choosing POTM said, there were some very good individual performances on the Newcastle side. As Tigers looked like they were going to win when he chose, JVP was the best of an average/poor bunch.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:11 pm
Whiteley is a liability he costs us more points than he gives us. Why the heck we re-signed him who only knows we must be desperate
That said YBY dithered to the point of doing nothing v Glaws. No attempt at sniping and the opposition don't need to keep narrow and dither long enough to allow the defence to get set.

JVP snipes and he gives quick ball. Whitely tries but isn't at that level.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mol2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:28 pm
But to be fair, his salary probably isn't either.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

mol2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:28 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:11 pm

That said YBY dithered to the point of doing nothing v Glaws. No attempt at sniping and the opposition don't need to keep narrow and dither long enough to allow the defence to get set.

Agreed Mol. Whiteley’s sniping at the ruck has lead to breaks a few times, it’s the decision making after the break that has struggled to match that of JVP and prime Lenny. (Gloucester in the prem cup final springs to mind!).
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm not sure whether I'm more baffled or amused about the criticism of our third choice scrum half, who probably earns less than the deputy manager of your local Tesco.

Whiteley consistently puts in 100% and performs to a higher level than many third choice 9's in the league.

Do some of you people buy a second hand Ford Focus for £5k and then complain it's not a Lamborghini?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:59 am I'm not sure whether I'm more baffled or amused about the criticism of our third choice scrum half, who probably earns less than the deputy manager of your local Tesco.

Whiteley consistently puts in 100% and performs to a higher level than many third choice 9's in the league.

Do some of you people buy a second hand Ford Focus for £5k and then complain it's not a Lamborghini?
No criticism of Whiteley from me (apologies if it's come across that way). As a 3rd choice 9 he is ideal, if not better than most if not all 3rd choice 9s in the prem. More of an illustration of what we have been missing with JVP absent. Whiteley has more than shown he is capable this season - and could be argued to have overtaken Lenny as current 2nd choice on form.