Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens - Harlequins TMO

Post by fentiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:02 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:41 pm I can't find a statement from Prem Rugby... have they said anything about this?
On BBC

A spokesperson for the Rugby Football Union said: "The RFU conducts regular reviews following all games that take place, as will be the case for Saracens v Harlequins."
Otherwise read: 'We're just looking for a bigger broom to sweep this under the carpet with all the other things we should have sorted!' :smt044
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I have said for a long time now (and several times on this forum) that there should be NO commentary in the TMO's van at all. If you argue that it should be there, why not feed it to the ref and the touch judges as well? Of course, no one would make that argument so why should one official be treated any differently from the others? I have no real problems with mistakes being made, they are all human, and that gives all of us the chance to argue about their decisions both during the game and afterwards. The citing officer should look at all aspects of foul play after the game, that is his job
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:36 pm I have said for a long time now (and several times on this forum) that there should be NO commentary in the TMO's van at all. If you argue that it should be there, why not feed it to the ref and the touch judges as well? Of course, no one would make that argument so why should one official be treated any differently from the others? I have no real problems with mistakes being made, they are all human, and that gives all of us the chance to argue about their decisions both during the game and afterwards. The citing officer should look at all aspects of foul play after the game, that is his job
Nailed!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:36 pm I have said for a long time now (and several times on this forum) that there should be NO commentary in the TMO's van at all. If you argue that it should be there, why not feed it to the ref and the touch judges as well? Of course, no one would make that argument so why should one official be treated any differently from the others? I have no real problems with mistakes being made, they are all human, and that gives all of us the chance to argue about their decisions both during the game and afterwards. The citing officer should look at all aspects of foul play after the game, that is his job
:smt023 +1
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The TMO should not get commentary.
Secondly the TV screens at the grounds should only show the main screen live feed unless asked to show something to the ref by the TMO.

The TMO system at international level perhaps needs it’s own equivalent of the producers/directors room where an independent team of watchers can keep an eye on the different feeds and rewind accordingly to show the TMO.
The current system where it’s at the whim of the TV producer to show potential foul play on the big screen or only “find” certain angles for the TMO is open to bias by the home producer. With the significant sanctions of red cards becoming more common because of head contact, the process can’t allow home town bias.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

When Luke Pearce was on GBR being interviewed ages ago now he insists that his team especially the TMO have no access to any commentary that is broadcast, so they must have that option if he insists on it.
Plus isn't the TMO 10 sec behind anyway on the live feed so of course the commentators are going to say it first, this is all about his ego and not being the big i am on the TV as a lot of the TMO seem to be, chipping in every 5 mins.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

PeteK wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:36 am When Luke Pearce was on GBR being interviewed ages ago now he insists that his team especially the TMO have no access to any commentary that is broadcast, so they must have that option if he insists on it.
Plus isn't the TMO 10 sec behind anyway on the live feed so of course the commentators are going to say it first, this is all about his ego and not being the big i am on the TV as a lot of the TMO seem to be, chipping in every 5 mins.
TMO watches the game primarily live, but has a 2nd feed approx 10s behind to allow him to check something that looked odd on first viewing...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Voyager1
Tiger Cub

Post by Voyager1 »

A 10 second delay as TMO back up was used by Matthew Carley to ignore a knock on by Gloucester and a potential penalty, quoting his comment as being “Too late the game has moved on”

When the referee makes his own rules up, where do we go from here. ?
What noise annoys an oyster
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Voyager1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:24 pm A 10 second delay as TMO back up was used by Matthew Carley to ignore a knock on by Gloucester and a potential penalty, quoting his comment as being “Too late the game has moved on”

When the referee makes his own rules up, where do we go from here. ?

I believe its down to the arrogance of some refs who believe that they are god on the pitch and Carly also ignored a number of Glos knock ons and forward passed one of which led to a Glos try :smt013
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Lifted from X

"The RFU has issued a statement on the TMO confusion at the weekend.

It says that the TMO has already made a decision before Austin raised the incident.

The RFU says it was ‘regrettable’ the conversation was broadcast. However, “TMOs do not actively listen or react to the broadcast commentary team.”

I do not believe a word of it :smt010
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Joe Marler fully backing the RFU stance...🤣🤣

https://twitter.com/JoeMarler/status/17 ... WGf-A&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

sapajo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:12 pm Lifted from X

"The RFU has issued a statement on the TMO confusion at the weekend.

It says that the TMO has already made a decision before Austin raised the incident.

The RFU says it was ‘regrettable’ the conversation was broadcast. However, “TMOs do not actively listen or react to the broadcast commentary team.”

I do not believe a word of it :smt010
Love it "TMO has already made a decision before Austin raised the incident: so why did the comment from the TMO say i cannot make call that now as Austin has highlighted it? what a crock of :censored: from the RFU caught with their pants down.
Bill Sweeny - Retire!!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I read somewhere that it had been called penalty at worse and the try had been scored so nothing further. No citing has been made since the game.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk