LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by kk20gb30 »

Oh, there are more to come in ....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sapajo »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:35 pm Oh, there are more to come in ....
Are there ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:06 pm With less games we need to invest in quality not quantity.

I agree, take the strength in depth that Sarries have as an example and if we do truly spend upto the cap then we should be signing quality not quantity. Watson is very bad business and Rogerson, Cracknell, Dolly and Hatherall best days are behind them.
Very harsh on Dolly. He's been recovering from a very nasty injury and we have no idea how his playing in the future will be; some coming back seem worse but some come back stronger and better.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:06 pm With less games we need to invest in quality not quantity.

I agree, take the strength in depth that Sarries have as an example and if we do truly spend upto the cap then we should be signing quality not quantity. Watson is very bad business and Rogerson, Cracknell, Dolly and Hatherall best days are behind them.
Very harsh on Dolly. He's been recovering from a very nasty injury and we have no idea how his playing in the future will be; some coming back seem worse but some come back stronger and better.
It is. But we have Finn Theobald Thomas. Charlie Clare and Montoya who have seen us through this seasons campaign and some of lasts perfectly well. I agree that some players come back stronger and better but I would wager they are sadly not in the majority
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 pm

People might not like this but I wouldn’t change much of the squad for next season. We need strengthening in a few areas but not many. Biggest issue around recruitment is an attack coach of high calibre.

Before we sort that then the rest is academic as far as I’m concerned.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I agree we need an attack coach but let us appointment someone that can actually coach an effective attack based upon a CV that attests to this fact. We have appointed to many so called attack coaches in name only in the past and the wheels of our attack fell off years ago not just this season.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:07 pm I agree we need an attack coach but let us appointment someone that can actually coach an effective attack based upon a CV that attests to this fact. We have appointed to many so called attack coaches in name only in the past and the wheels of our attack fell off years ago not just this season.
I agree. We can’t skimp on it. We are too poor at it not too!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Considering his age to say that Dolly is past it is genuinely crazy to me.
I would even argue Hatherell has been pretty good for us, he's no Wiese but no one is. I thought Hatherell looked great v Quins when you know we had another ball carrier playing with him with Wiese at 8.

The biggest problem for these carriers is you just can't be the only carrier in the pack because it's easy to mark.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

In terms of signings my personal preference would be 5 more I don't think we will get it though.

Van Wyk, Richardson, Carter, Rogerson, Cracknell, Wiese, Wilkinson, Scott, Porter (I hope not), Watson - Out
Smith, Beets, Perese, TH Lock, Back Rower, Fly Half, Centre, Wing = In (Hear me out but maybe Jesse Kriel wage demands has dropped since he's not played since the final...lol)

Cole, Pollard, Youngs I feel are players we need to look at replacements for either within or from outside. Would like to keep Pollard though.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:37 pm Considering his age to say that Dolly is past it is genuinely crazy to me.
I would even argue Hatherell has been pretty good for us, he's no Wiese but no one is. I thought Hatherell looked great v Quins when you know we had another ball carrier playing with him with Wiese at 8.

The biggest problem for these carriers is you just can't be the only carrier in the pack because it's easy to mark.
Its the severity of the injury he suffered that makes me believe his best days are behind him. That said I would be delighted if he proves me wrong :smt023
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Having Wiese has been a huge luxury for us over the last few years (in the sense that there aren't many of his type around.)

I'll genuinely be interested in how we go about the 8 role next season and who gets the shirt.

I did notice on Facebook that someone had commented that, to them, it was evident that McKellar was wanting the team to kick all the time and, I may be on my own, but I don't see it like that. I think he's wanting to play more ball in hand but is having to be a bit more pragmatic for the time being. We did show some good intent ball in hand v Glaws on Friday - especially during the first half and Freddie looked to run it back more than hoof it back.

We do need a backs coach who is on the same page as Dan as well as players who are on the same page too.

For me, our backs are bonkers imbalanced with our wings all having a preference for the left hand side. For me, that would be one reason to have Kata out wide next season and I hope to God that Kelly finds his form of 2023 and that he and Perese from a decent blend in the centres.

I did see some of the Sarries v Quins game and as good as Sarries were the Quins defence was not great. They have had a change in coach with ex player Jordan Turner-Hall getting the gig and they looked a shadow of their former selves with no defensive continuity Vs the Flannery era.

I do wonder if we will ever find out what has happened with the whole Dickens saga, but I'm fairly certain that he won't be back at Oval Park considering how long this has all gone on for.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:52 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:37 pm Considering his age to say that Dolly is past it is genuinely crazy to me.

Its the severity of the injury he suffered that makes me believe his best days are behind him. That said I would be delighted if he proves me wrong :smt023
Fair enough I guess for me it's unfair to not at least give him that chance first to show for himself if he's past it.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:52 pm Having Wiese has been a huge luxury for us over the last few years (in the sense that there aren't many of his type around.)

I'll genuinely be interested in how we go about the 8 role next season and who gets the shirt.

I did notice on Facebook that someone had commented that, to them, it was evident that McKellar was wanting the team to kick all the time and, I may be on my own, but I don't see it like that. I think he's wanting to play more ball in hand but is having to be a bit more pragmatic for the time being. We did show some good intent ball in hand v Glaws on Friday - especially during the first half and Freddie looked to run it back more than hoof it back.

We do need a backs coach who is on the same page as Dan as well as players who are on the same page too.

For me, our backs are bonkers imbalanced with our wings all having a preference for the left hand side. For me, that would be one reason to have Kata out wide next season and I hope to God that Kelly finds his form of 2023 and that he and Perese from a decent blend in the centres.

I did see some of the Sarries v Quins game and as good as Sarries were the Quins defence was not great. They have had a change in coach with ex player Jordan Turner-Hall getting the gig and they looked a shadow of their former selves with no defensive continuity Vs the Flannery era.

I do wonder if we will ever find out what has happened with the whole Dickens saga, but I'm fairly certain that he won't be back at Oval Park considering how long this has all gone on for.
I agree, Borthwick loved to kick the ball at lot more than McKeller imo.
I do think we are paying for Borthwick's lack of attacking planning still.

I don't get why he somehow managed to introduce a lot more attacking plan in England in under a year than he did with Tigers. Suspect he couldn't handle the pressure in the England job and decided he had to move quicker (Which was the right call)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just a thought and I’m not looking for an argument here but has Englands attack moved on maybe because Farrell isn’t there?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:01 pm Just a thought and I’m not looking for an argument here but has Englands attack moved on maybe because Farrell isn’t there?
Maybe, but, Sarries weren't and haven't been all kick orientated of late and played some sublime stuff on Saturday, with Farrell at 10. As much as he is maligned, he can also be a creative FH