Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Harley1850
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Post by Harley1850 »

Cheers up up guys could be worse we could be Quins fans 😂
I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway, you're on the same wavelength as the referees.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Just wasted some time doing some analysis of scores/tries for/against in games with each starting 13. This season prem only.

With Kelly starting we've scored on average a try more per game than with Porter, but conceded half a try more on average too. Obviously loads of other variables, with internationals missing, and context about how tries were scored, so the figures don't mean much.

Scott has only started 2 games, one of which was against Newcastle, and the other was the 38-20 win at Glouc. Ok, great, so Scott = much better result? Not really, because in that fixture we won by 4 tries to 2, scoring 38 points. Yesterday we won 4 tries to 3, scoring 25 points.

The glaring problem yesterday was scoring 4 tries but only 25 points which, I think, was the first time we've ever achieved so few points from a 4 try performance in the Premiership. It was certainly the first time in at least 12 years. So, put whoever you want at centre, it doesn't make too much difference if we miss most of our kicks.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Harley1850 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:12 pm Cheers up up guys could be worse we could be Quins fans 😂
Or Scarlets...that is proper basket case territory.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Like the majority I was not too chuffed with last night's performance.
I left with 2 key points;

1- Glos looked/were sharper, and
2- Oh those missed kicks!

The only pos was 2 league points (4 tries & within 7).

Saints beaten, Quins are being thumped; we are not alone in a crowded small league.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Harley1850 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:12 pm Cheers up up guys could be worse we could be Quins fans 😂
My sentiment - could be worse as we could support Quins or Saints, who both got severe hidings this week and came away with very little.

First half we showed some intent to play ball in hand more and then seemed to tighten up for some reason. I thought Steward seemed to want to attack ball in hand more than kick it back.

Two missed one on one tackles gifted them two scores and 6 points left on the kicking tee.

Like I'm sure a few have said, Shilcock as the back up 10 is not working - especially off the tee. He's a full back who plays 10 in an emergency, for me anyway.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:38 pm Didn’t post last night as I was still seething at that performance.
Gloucester deserved their win and for me there are no excuses for Tigers playing like they did.
Like Scuttle, will be making the 6-7 hour round trip next Friday but dreading it could be another repeat of last year if we play like last night!
I felt many of the crowd and the Tigers turned up thinking they’d already won!

It would be helpful to us all to know why Pollard didn’t play!
Newcastle on a Friday night will be a huge challenge but realistically this is a game to really put out the best team and play like we did at Quins where I know we should have lost at the end but I walked away from The Stoop thinking we’d turned a corner.
What worries me more is that under the early tenure of Deano/Wellsy, Cockerill/ Howard, Borthwick/Sinfield, after a poor first half Tigers would come out and really get stuck into the opposition.

And lastly, I just don’t get this tired complaint, for goodness sake there are 6 less games and we have been one of the best clubs at resting players: you’d have thought having lost badly twice to Gloucester that as a player you’d be desperate to get out there and perform!
Still keeping the faith: just!
May see you there Ian. Four of us going and staying over. We are in the little stand where the players come out, if I can say that in a non-Tinderesque way! Last time we went we were standing behind the posts in THAT game when Guy Thompson (I think) got that "in the red" turnover on our line to ensure we won and almost certainly avoid relegation. Nice atmosphere in the bar afterwards...genuinely.
As Good As It Gets
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Hi Scuttle. Might see you at Newcastle. I’ve got a ticket to stand in the South Stand where the fans are usually great and I stood there in that nail biting game when Thomson and Ford were superb.
Last season wasn’t so goo though!
Safe trip up and enjoy your stay. Im driving up and back on Good Friday hoping the traffic is a lot better than our last awaygame v Quins!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Gentlemen,
bemoan the problems/issues with the lack of attack coach , but conceding 27 points at home in the manner that we did on Fri
and have on other occasions this season for me raises other questions...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I really hope Friday night was a blip, a one-off because it reminded me of the late-Cockerill, and Murphy eras.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect shipping points and lack of attack are linked.
If your only means of getting the ball up the field is to kick it to the opposition you will give them the opportunity to keep the ball and attack you. Points tend to be scored by the stacking side.

Our attack seemed only to be the rolling maul. To score with that needs you to be able to get the ball deep into their territory first. Kick and defend until they concede a penalty needs an efficient defence that doesn’t miss tackles does that defending in their half, not hoof it and wait for them to bring the ball back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:16 pm I suspect shipping points and lack of attack are linked.
If your only means of getting the ball up the field is to kick it to the opposition you will give them the opportunity to keep the ball and attack you. Points tend to be scored by the stacking side.

Our attack seemed only to be the rolling maul. To score with that needs you to be able to get the ball deep into their territory first. Kick and defend until they concede a penalty needs an efficient defence that doesn’t miss tackles does that defending in their half, not hoof it and wait for them to bring the ball back.
This is a massively noteworthy point....
I still though believe that our methodology in certain defensive aspects of the game is sadly lacking..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Agreed: Gloucester knew we were weak in the middle and just kept running good lines in the middle of the pitch!
Odd as down at Quins watching behind the posts we made them have to go wide and yes, Quins got that unconverted try at the end but they had to get the ball wide.
I also think we missed a trick by not letting Steward take that goal line kick at the end: he’s got a hell of a boot!
In fact I’d like Steward to take long range penalties if Pollard isn’t playing.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I’m still glum about the result. Our rolling maul seemed our only weapon, we started out trying expansive but seemed to lose confidence and return to boring pointless kick plan 1, our returnees looked tired, our strike plays looked predictable, we kept missing first tackles (whatever the stats said) and to me it looked like Glaws wanted it more and adapted. Yes, we could have won it by not missing kicks, but for what I expected from an Aussie coach, the back play seemed all over the shop. Disappointing.

Positives, Chessum, JvP, Kata. The rolling maul and line out.

In transition, long layoff, a resurgent Glaws (= resurgent Mercer who should be in an England shirt) or a major step backwards??? I’m unsure as everyone is beating everyone else. But I simply can’t see what McKellar is trying to do at the moment.

Dare I say it - attack coach needed?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Agree with what you say and having watched the other games this weekend it’s galling that Pollard didn’t play: we don’t have a back up Fly Half and with Freddie Burns or Ford playing yesterday we would have won as those two would have changed tactics when needed. Ford kicked well for Sale today but their pack was not as good as Bath’s today.
Top 6 is the first aim so we must beat Newcastle and that doesn’t mean we try to get 5 points from the off: SECURE the win first by taking any 3s: obviously v Gloucester we didn’t create pressure to get kickable penalties.
Again though we need the Internationals to be fit and we’ve really missed Cam Henderson as he was looking like Tom Croft: fast over the pitch!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:36 pm Agree with what you say and having watched the other games this weekend it’s galling that Pollard didn’t play: we don’t have a back up Fly Half and with Freddie Burns or Ford playing yesterday we would have won as those two would have changed tactics when needed. Ford kicked well for Sale today but their pack was not as good as Bath’s today.
Top 6 is the first aim so we must beat Newcastle and that doesn’t mean we try to get 5 points from the off: SECURE the win first by taking any 3s: obviously v Gloucester we didn’t create pressure to get kickable penalties.
Again though we need the Internationals to be fit and we’ve really missed Cam Henderson as he was looking like Tom Croft: fast over the pitch!
What's top 6 give you?
Top 4 - playoff
Top 8 - Champions Cup Qualification?

Those are the two targets surely?

We're within one win of the top 4 with 5 games to play
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.