LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by fortysix »

Someone said ''outrage at letting Thacker, Worth and Olafewla leave'' ?? -------Thacker regrettable, except he cant scrummage. The other two, never made it anywhere..
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tiglon »

fortysix wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:06 pm Someone said ''outrage at letting Thacker, Worth and Olafewla leave'' ?? -------Thacker regrettable, except he cant scrummage. The other two, never made it anywhere..
That was my point.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:33 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:35 pm It was Ben White or JVP in all reality fighting for Ben Youngs back up.
No way White would've played 3rd choice behind JVP or Youngs. Whereas Wigglesworth was just wanting a playing contract not a coaching one that Sarries was offering.

The Idea that Wigglesworth was the one who pushed White out IMO is way off the mark, he was gone as soon as we deemed JVP the better prospect.

Also let's not forget Wigglesworth did help win that Prem final, that move to Wiese was entirely him.
I dont get Ben White v JVP, surely there is a big age difference, JVP would still have been at school when White was here, it was White V Simmons and I rated Simmons in front of White.?
JvP made his Prem debut in Feb 2020, White left for London Irish at the end of the 20/21 season, over a year later. JvP made 16 senior appearances in White's last season at Tigers, and had already leapfrogged him in the pecking order, with White making just 6 bench appearances in the Prem that year. Wigglesworth was probably 3rd choice ahead of him.

That's why White was allowed to leave mid contract - he wanted to play rugby and we didn't need him.
Sampy

Post by Sampy »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:15 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:35 pm It was Ben White or JVP in all reality fighting for Ben Youngs back up.
No way White would've played 3rd choice behind JVP or Youngs. Whereas Wigglesworth was just wanting a playing contract not a coaching one that Sarries was offering.

The Idea that Wigglesworth was the one who pushed White out IMO is way off the mark, he was gone as soon as we deemed JVP the better prospect.

Also let's not forget Wigglesworth did help win that Prem final, that move to Wiese was entirely him.
I dont get Ben White v JVP, surely there is a big age difference, JVP would still have been at school when White was here, it was White V Simmons and I rated Simmons in front of White.?
JvP made his Prem debut in Feb 2020, White left for London Irish at the end of the 20/21 season, over a year later. JvP made 16 senior appearances in White's last season at Tigers, and had already leapfrogged him in the pecking order, with White making just 6 bench appearances in the Prem that year. Wigglesworth was probably 3rd choice ahead of him.

That's why White was allowed to leave mid contract - he wanted to play rugby and we didn't need him.
Back when White was the boring box kicking 9 and JVP was the exciting sniping 9. Obviously the coaches seeplayers like Edwards every day to make their decisions on if the club should keep them. Obviously he's not doing enough in training to warrant more game time. Pinchin said in her interview with Rolling Maul. That they have weekly meetings about squad depth in each position
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

LE18, I am quite excited by the signing of Beet, I do like to see young players come through and Tigers have had a few successful project players in the past. Smith is a good solid prop, played well against us for Ospreys but I don't expect to see him making many runs ball in hand. Our new centre playing for Waratahs was replaced just after halftime, his team actually did better following his departure but frankly the game was a forward battle so not really a reflection on him. However in the two games I have watched he has been pretty quiet and I have seen no sign of any real pace.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:57 pm LE18, I am quite excited by the signing of Beet, I do like to see young players come through and Tigers have had a few successful project players in the past. Smith is a good solid prop, played well against us for Ospreys but I don't expect to see him making many runs ball in hand. Our new centre playing for Waratahs was replaced just after halftime, his team actually did better following his departure but frankly the game was a forward battle so not really a reflection on him. However in the two games I have watched he has been pretty quiet and I have seen no sign of any real pace.
Some players struggle in certain regimes. Ben White ended up as fourth choice under Borthwick but a move to LI rejuvenated his career and led to Scottish caps. When I did some googling after we were linked to Perese there was a lot of Aussie media talking about how Schmidt might find a starting place for him in the side as his pace and power might well benefit the Wallabies. Maybe one of the reasons he wants to leave the Tahs is he's unhappy with the way they are playing.

I'm pretty pleased with all our signings but their remains a significant concern about our lack of an attack coach.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Yes obviously I don’t know what the issue is with Dickens but whatever it is it’s impacting severely on the teams performance and needs resolving asap.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Sampy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:29 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:15 pm

Back when White was the boring box kicking 9 and JVP was the exciting sniping 9. Obviously the coaches seeplayers like Edwards every day to make their decisions on if the club should keep them. Obviously he's not doing enough in training to warrant more game time. Pinchin said in her interview with Rolling Maul. That they have weekly meetings about squad depth in each position
It's also worth pointing out that along with White dropping down behind JvP in the pecking order that White also wanted to move to London to be closer to his girlfriend.

Yes JvP was getting significantly more gametime than White in that last season, so it appeared to us fans that he'd moved ahead in the pecking order, but we have no idea when during the season White knocked on Borthwick's door and said look I want to move to London to be near my partner and I'm looking at going down, it may have been early on in the season so Borthwick may have decided to focus on the guy here the following season.

It's chicken and egg, we don't know which way round it was from here.

It's also worth pointing out White in interviews talked about how much he learnt training with Youngs and Wigglesworth on a daily basis
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:49 pm Yes obviously I don’t know what the issue is with Dickens but whatever it is it’s impacting severely on the teams performance and needs resolving asap.
Agreed. Being in this limbo state where we both don't have an attack coach and can't recruit an attack coach is definitely hurting us.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean why can't we get an Danny Wilson esque coach for the backs?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:39 am I mean why can't we get an Danny Wilson esque coach for the backs?
Is there someone available...can we afford them?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Very happy with the 3 new signings to date but am hoping for maybe 1 or 2 more.
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:09 am Very happy with the 3 new signings to date but am hoping for maybe 1 or 2 more.
Agree, the three signings so far have been all great additions to the squad.

However, the cap is increasing £1.4m. We also know that Wiese is leaving and we had tabled an offer for him to stay, so the money must be there.

Then you look at the last two results. Whoever is thinking that we don’t need any more signings in the senior squad is deluded. Especially when we’ve got plenty of mediocre squad depth who could be moved on such as Rogerson, Cracknell etc. Watson or Dolly haven’t played this season. Their spots could easily be covered by up and coming players such as Illione, Carnduf etc. With less games we need to invest in quality not quantity.

So I really hope we bring in one or two more decent players who can make a difference.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

as per the Sam Carter thread, apparently back in Australia already.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:36 am
ay2oh wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:09 am Very happy with the 3 new signings to date but am hoping for maybe 1 or 2 more.
Agree, the three signings so far have been all great additions to the squad.

However, the cap is increasing £1.4m. We also know that Wiese is leaving and we had tabled an offer for him to stay, so the money must be there.

Then you look at the last two results. Whoever is thinking that we don’t need any more signings in the senior squad is deluded. Especially when we’ve got plenty of mediocre squad depth who could be moved on such as Rogerson, Cracknell etc. Watson or Dolly haven’t played this season. Their spots could easily be covered by up and coming players such as Illione, Carnduf etc. With less games we need to invest in quality not quantity.

So I really hope we bring in one or two more decent players who can make a difference.
I agree, take the strength in depth that Sarries have as an example and if we do truly spend upto the cap then we should be signing quality not quantity. Watson is very bad business and Rogerson, Cracknell, Dolly and Hatherall best days are behind them.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity