Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Post by sapajo »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:57 pm I don't think Weise can be criticised for his performance tonight. Gloucester clearly targeted him and closed him down early.
Good point whereas last week we subdued Mercer this week with a stronger pack we let him run riot
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:45 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:31 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:22 pm

Personally I want to see Porter back in the 23, but I'm probably picking a broadly similar team to you...
Would say we start Whitcombe/Montoya/Heyes and Martin should be fresh and raring to go. Got to have Wiese in the XV.. JvP and Kata nailed on starters for me too and I guess OHC in there.. would like to see more of Ilione and perhaps next week could be a good chance for him..
Kata was crocked so don't see him back anytime soon but who knows
Depends whether it's bad cramp or something serious. Newcastle up next so he could have the week off and then see where he's at. It doesn't really matter we have very little chance of beating Leinster. Their attack and defence are simply lightyears ahead of ours.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:50 pm
sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:45 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:31 pm

Would say we start Whitcombe/Montoya/Heyes and Martin should be fresh and raring to go. Got to have Wiese in the XV.. JvP and Kata nailed on starters for me too and I guess OHC in there.. would like to see more of Ilione and perhaps next week could be a good chance for him..
Kata was crocked so don't see him back anytime soon but who knows
Depends whether it's bad cramp or something serious. Newcastle up next so he could have the week off and then see where he's at. It doesn't really matter we have very little chance of beating Leinster. Their attack and defence are simply lightyears ahead of ours.
Some on here thought we would thrash Glos tonite, dream on. Your right Leinster will put us to the sword it will do nothing for our season
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

That result doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. Yes, we can still make top 4, but if we can't beat a fairly average Glouc team at home who did nothing more impressive than walk through a few half-hearted tackles, then Sale and Saints away are a pretty scary prospect. Let's not even talk about Leinster away... they would have comfortably put 50 past us this afternoon.

We looked tired, but most of the team have had loads of rest.

Certainly a few steps back today.

Positives? The maul, but then it looked like Glouc bizarrely seemed to not really try to defend it. Kata, but he went off injured. JvP back. That's about it.

I've been mostly positive this season, but today was hard to watch. I was thinking with a few minutes to go that we really didn't deserve to win the game, and... then we didn't. It's the lack of focus and commitment with tackling that hurt the most, I'm pretty sure all of Glouc's tries came from poor missed tackles.

I could criticise Matt Carley, but I think that would be missing the point.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:32 pm
cheltexile wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:26 pm Bassett hasn't impressed at all since he came here, not sure what people are expecting.
Problem for me is I hoped he would be Watson's backup, reality has been he's our starting winger
I actually thought he was alright today, both defensively and ball in hand. Has Watson even played a game for us this season?

Next game let’s give Hatherell a go at 8 and actually see what he can do in a decent XV. He could be starting next season as things stand.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

I thought OHC tackled better than I’ve seen him before. Agree re Glos targeting Wiese - and therefore WHY did we keep giving him the ball straight off - too predictable.
Thought Steward did well - lovely to have him and JVP back. Hope all the players get more rest - they really did look worn out, bless them.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

To be honest with you I could except not making the to 4 we’ve had a completely new coaching team. I could except losing matches like tonight, if there where any signs of change of style of play , but there’s not it’s still, just kick, kick and kicks some more. If we were bring through young players but we’re not both Thomas and Wilkinson didn’t get off the bench, ilione not even selected when raffell looked out on his feet. Borthwick has managed to change England style of play in 3 weeks yet mcKeller has managed to even slightly evolve tigers, it’s starting to feel a bit like just a wasted season.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It wasn’t long ago I was watching Hassell-Collins tearing it up for Irish and Bassett similarly for Wasps. They’re exciting players that thrive on quick ball. They must be stood there wondering why they moved to Tigers. When they do get the ball, it’s a wild pass either above head height or on their toes ! It a devastating waste of talent.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:56 pm That result doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. Yes, we can still make top 4, but if we can't beat a fairly average Glouc team at home who did nothing more impressive than walk through a few half-hearted tackles, then Sale and Saints away are a pretty scary prospect. Let's not even talk about Leinster away... they would have comfortably put 50 past us this afternoon.

We looked tired, but most of the team have had loads of rest.

Certainly a few steps back today.

Positives? The maul, but then it looked like Glouc bizarrely seemed to not really try to defend it. Kata, but he went off injured. JvP back. That's about it.

I've been mostly positive this season, but today was hard to watch. I was thinking with a few minutes to go that we really didn't deserve to win the game, and... then we didn't. It's the lack of focus and commitment with tackling that hurt the most, I'm pretty sure all of Glouc's tries came from poor missed tackles.

I could criticise Matt Carley, but I think that would be missing the point.
Great post. I can’t remember the last time I felt this dejected coming away from Welford Road. Really struggling to see where out next win comes from other than Newcastle next week.
Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Terracetiger4 »

I am yet to feel confident the decision to let Charlie Atkinson leave to keep brown and play shillcock at 10 full time was the right decision. Shillcock was next to useless tonight. And the last few times he’s played at 10 he’s missed crucial tackles. I was once told by a fan having a 10 like Atkinson is pointless cause he can’t kick from the tea. Well other than the bath kick I’ve not seen much from shillcock to prove he can as well.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:33 pm Tough kicks but 3 missed conversions the difference between 5 points and 2.. fine margins but not good enough on the night
5 points and we are 2nd, even if only for the night, but alot closer to Saints after their loss to Bristol.
As Good As It Gets
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Knightonian wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:34 pm
cheltexile wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:31 pm Playoffs gone. DMK needs to go, this is abysmal.
Personally not 100% sure but they aren’t good enough at all

I think Jury is very much out at the moment

I also think a lot of the senior players aren’t leading enough
I agree and saw no energy or anyone generating energy through leadership. Glos wanted it more to me; there was a little play in front of us which symbolised the whole game.....ball loose on the floor, 2 Tigers players trotted up to pick it up but we're beaten by a Glos player who threw himself headlong to gain possession, which he did. Whether complacency or something else, it was as if they didn't think they needed to try.
As Good As It Gets
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

cheltexile wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:35 pm Will get battered by Falcons at this rate. Just why.
I hope not. Hotel booked. Tickets bought :smt017
As Good As It Gets
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

An awful performance with the most limited game plan you'll ever see. All we had was box kick after box kick. The kicks weren't any good, the chase wasn't any better, and Glos handled them comfortably.

And yet... we just carry on doing the same thing over and over.

I'm furious.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Sorry to bore everyone with stats, but I'm curious why no one seems to be saying we kicked too much (although I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread)? Edit: just seen the above post!

Today was the most we've kicked in a Prem game all season.

To illustrate how poor the quality of both teams was today, there were more than twice as many missed tackles as in the Bristol v Saints match, but fewer tries and fewer points.

And 3 times as many kicks.

Very low penalty count, with only 6 each, but that's probably because neither team did much to pressurise the other into giving up penalties.