Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:44 pm Tigers reverting to the post-Cockers, pre-Borthwick era. Clueless in attack. Close quarters defense good but in the loose, poor. Aimless kicking with little or no kick chase?!

The attack coach needs to be sorted, it's all well and good the club getting behind Matt Smith, but anyone with half a rugby brain can see either he's not a good coach, or the players just don't listen to him. We could also do with a skills/kicking coach because we win that game if Shillcock had brought his kicking boots.

How you can have almost a pre-season and yet the players look knackered, I don't know. Either they aren't being pushed on the training ground, or they are being pushed too hard.

That first half was completely unacceptable. The week before we were demolished by Gloucester. There seemed to be no hunger from the squad to regain some pride.

If McKellar, Wilkes and Andrea think we don't need a first choice number 8 to replace Wiese, I'm very concerned.
We do technically have one on the books.

On the number 8 thing, Wiese didn't really help today either. If anything we need to stop relying on players like Wiese to pull something crazy out his butt, 9 other teams in this league don't have a Wiese. Need to actually get a system that works with multiple players for once really something honestly we haven't' had since what early Cockers, Deano and Howard time IMO. Borthwick won the league off the back of a season where we had limited internationals away and marjoity of players stayed fit I strongly believe Borthwick would've struggled in a different season it just happened to be perfect for us.
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:47 pm We're now down to 7th. Bristol overtake us on points difference. Plus there are the other matches to be played this weekend. :smt009
Doesn't matter now, the season is gone.
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

Irrespective of the result based on performances throughout the season we do not deserve to be in top four/ six. No progress this seaso and the sad thing is that we have a squad which has the capability/ potential to be right up there.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

A lot now depends on how other results go this weekend.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Harley1850
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Harley1850 »

That was appalling ok we lost to glaws last week but today we supposedly had our star players back......could have fooled me I was genuinely embarrassed to be at Welford road today
I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway, you're on the same wavelength as the referees.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:50 pm A lot now depends on how other results go this weekend.
Hmm we are playing for top 6 now.
Honestly not sure champions cup rugby would be great for us either next season.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:48 pm
On the number 8 thing, Wiese didn't really help today either. If anything we need to stop relying on players like Wiese to pull something crazy out his butt, 9 other teams in this league don't have a Wiese. Need to actually get a system that works with multiple players for once really something honestly we haven't' had since what early Cockers, Deano and Howard time IMO. Borthwick won the league off the back of a season where we had limited internationals away and marjoity of players stayed fit I strongly believe Borthwick would've struggled in a different season it just happened to be perfect for us.
No, I actually thought he was quite quiet.

I more mean we need someone else in the squad that will do the carries. With Wiese not providing that tonight, Wells, Chesham, and Liebenberg were shown up. I exclude Tommy from that, because he looked knackered and I'm not sure why he wasn't given a rest this weekend. Just because we don't have to, doesn't mean we shouldn't.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

It’s crazy isn’t it.. win and we would have been up to 2nd albeit with games to be played still this weekend.. lose and its season over? Depending on results we are still in the mix for top 4 although it’ll be tough now that’s for sure..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

For me too many people looked lethargic for it to be anything other than illness in camp.

Heyes throwing up lethargic last weekend.
Pollard pulling out ill
Loads of players looked a few percent off it today

If they were under the weather fair play for digging 2 points out of it.

If they were fully fit and firing then for me it's our conditioning coach that concerns me more than attack coach.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I don't think Weise can be criticised for his performance tonight. Gloucester clearly targeted him and closed him down early.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:53 pm It’s crazy isn’t it.. win and we would have been up to 2nd albeit with games to be played still this weekend.. lose and its season over? Depending on results we are still in the mix for top 4 although it’ll be tough now that’s for sure..
The problem is it's a home win v a low ranking team.
We now have to get an away win against a couple teams above us
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

At the end of the day it was a tight game between two sides who won't make the plays offs. Sad but true. Move on.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:57 pm I don't think Weise can be criticised for his performance tonight. Gloucester clearly targeted him and closed him down early.
Which we did last week to Mercer....
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

PIEANDAPINT wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:49 pm Irrespective of the result based on performances throughout the season we do not deserve to be in top four/ six. No progress this seaso and the sad thing is that we have a squad which has the capability/ potential to be right up there.
Not even no progress, we have gone backwards, severely.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:57 pm I don't think Weise can be criticised for his performance tonight. Gloucester clearly targeted him and closed him down early.
But that's the point on replacing him.
It's means nothing to replace him if you don't have a gameplan that works without him.

It's why i'm not fussed about replacing him like for like, because regardless we need a system that doesn't revolve around 1 big carrier