LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AViewFromLe2

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

sk 88 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:28 am With Carter likely to go to Western Force & two definite international locks, with a third likely, I'd be looking to replace Wiese cap-wise with a lock. You use a lot more of them than you think & they are very important. Even with Chessum jnr & Carnduff coming through I think there will be more than enough game time to go around with all the rest we'll be forced to give the England players.
Agreed. Especially with the injuries our young lads have picked up already. Chessum has had a big ankle one, Henderson has had an ACL on each knee now so will need managing. Martin has had 2-3 knee injuries in the last 18-24 months. Even with Hatherall being able to cover we will need one more. Especially if Chessum may not make it, and Carnduff likely to be a 6.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:28 am With Carter likely to go to Western Force & two definite international locks, with a third likely, I'd be looking to replace Wiese cap-wise with a lock. You use a lot more of them than you think & they are very important. Even with Chessum jnr & Carnduff coming through I think there will be more than enough game time to go around with all the rest we'll be forced to give the England players.
I do hope that Carnduff is seen primarily as a 6, lock in an emergency.
I wonder if we could tempt Cam Jordan back he always impresses me when I see him with Gloucester
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

It was interesting listening to the BBC Leicester pod interview with Jasper talking about why he's left us, basically said if his dad was able to travel he'd probably have stayed as he wants him involved in his granchilds life.

Suggests that SA is probably his destination, but Japan's shortened season may still leave that one open?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:27 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:20 am Excellent though not unexpected news re Perese.
On Beets personally I would be surprised if we spent cap money on another back rower. If the coaches feel he has the ability then sometimes youth needs to be given its head as Baxter has proved at Exeter.

Slight aside a poster asked for explanations of the initials used. As a starting point I’ve got :

JVP - Jack Van Poortvliet
OHC - Ollie Hassell-Collins
FTT - Finn Theobalds- Thomas
CCS - Chandler Cunningham-South
LRZ - Some welsh bloke who moved to America
I'll add in

YBY - (not so now) Young Ben Youngs
DK - Dan Kelly
I think it's time to call YBY.....OBY - given the actual OTY's retirement.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:57 am It was interesting listening to the BBC Leicester pod interview with Jasper talking about why he's left us, basically said if his dad was able to travel he'd probably have stayed as he wants him involved in his granchilds life.

Suggests that SA is probably his destination, but Japan's shortened season may still leave that one open?
I doubt it. You said it and he said it. He wants his Dad in his daughter’s life and he doesn’t travel. Seems pretty cut and dried to me.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Dan Richardson will be going out on loan until now and the end of the season, and will be leaving the club in the summer.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:27 pm Dan Richardson will be going out on loan until now and the end of the season, and will be leaving the club in the summer.
Does this mean De Bruin is coming in? Who else do we have that can cover both sides?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Half a dozen games left, I don't suppose we need depth beyond Cole, Heyes, Hurd and Hoyt.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think the De Bruin rumour only came from a hypothetical scenario on this forum of Hurd going to Edinburgh.

The only prop we’ve been linked with other than Smith has been Eloff.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:27 pm Dan Richardson will be going out on loan until now and the end of the season, and will be leaving the club in the summer.
Do we know where he's going on loan to?

Seems odd to let him go before Cole has had his rest weekend... would have expected him to be a travelling reserve that day
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:49 pm I think the De Bruin rumour only came from a hypothetical scenario on this forum of Hurd going to Edinburgh.

The only prop we’ve been linked with other than Smith has been Eloff.
De Bruin rumour came about before that, it came from people knowing he was out of contract. Then when rumours popped up that Tigers had actually talked to him, at about the same time as Hurd got a Scotland call up, it was queried if it may be better for the club to have a 3rd choice TH not in the international picture and questioned if Hurd may be going North
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

No idea on destination or if that means De Bruin comes in.

I think Hoyt will be travelling reserve next week at Falcons, with Heyes and Hurd playing.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

I heard that’s all the main recruiting done, just a few projects left 👍🏻
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:57 am It was interesting listening to the BBC Leicester pod interview with Jasper talking about why he's left us, basically said if his dad was able to travel he'd probably have stayed as he wants him involved in his granchilds life.

Do have to laugh at some of the guff that goes around on social media. Saw a thread from a SA poster saying how Jasper being linked with SA teams shows their strength and the Power of the URC as he could have gone to any club in France, England or Japan.

No, he literally said he was leaving because his dad does not travel and he wanted his kid to grow up with a grandfather there so, no, it literally has nothing to do with the SA teams or the URC.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nicky Smith destroyed Munster in the scrum until he was injured.

We need a better back up 10, stick Shillcock at 15 more.
Cokanasiga ain't it i'm sorry he looks good for us in the prem cup but has yet to bring that form to the prem level.
We need a proper beefy back up to Martin. Wells is fading IMO, not dominating as much anymore.
McKeller needs to start trusting Ilione at 7, because Reffell needed a break today and Cracknell isn't a natural 7. Either trust Ilione or bring in a proper back up 7 for Reffell.

I'm not a fan of binning off coaches when not even one year has gone, it has been a tough year to plan with the RWC. Unless someone who is clearly better is available I feel we are just gonna go back the way of MOC.
Last edited by RagingBull on Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.